MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Next Christmas

I have decided to start a few things for next Christmas. I just picked up some prints for paper tole projects. I plan on picking up a couple of deep picture frames and some pop dots and voila 2, 3D pictures, easy and thrifty (less then $5 each). star

Who said Christmas has to be expensive? The family has decided to have a new rule for next Christmas, only homemade gifts. I guess I will be checking this area quite often. bouquet

Home made gifts are best!! I like your 3-D picture idea.

I also am plotting gifts for next year. I discovered some folks among my circle who actually have not been gifted with hats and scarves--AND who WANT some!! I am delighted. I will start knitting in their fave colors very soon.

I have also learned that some were jealously eying home made flannel and fleece slippers I sewed for my family and so...another gift project.

I am going to be getting a canner if I can this month, but after this month, I will be working on knit items for others, making homemade christmas ornaments for others and myself as I lost all mine years back when I moved and forgot the box ! I will probably sew some items as well.

I am going to be with my son, his new sweet wife and her family next christmas, so on my budget I start now!

Maybe I will make up some canned items as gifts by then as well.

There is so much to do!

I think working on things all year makes it fun, as well as christian themes too, as everyone is christian, actively, in the DIL's family, so this also will be part of things.

I really had not done much about christmas for a long time as I have been living separately from family for many years, but that is changing, and I am happy to realize it!

It was a pattern in with some pajamas I sewed for daughter....it was Simplicity number 3935, which has patterns for both adults and teens in it. We found that the slipper pattern ran big.

I modified it to have a layer of fleece on the inside, and used thick cotton batting inside that. The bottom layer of the slippers is that gripper fabric so you don't trip. They are just simple slippers to slip on over your socks. I made a second set with fake fur inside. These are even better than the first set. I am experimenting with these, LOL)

It was very cool to make matching slippers and PJs.

I'm going to take the fleece sock pattern that was posted here before and make those with a gripper bottom, also. They would make great slipper socks.

Kewl ideas for gifts ladies!

I'm also thinking ahead for next Christmas. I plan to be working on Christmas "stuff" all year long.

One idea I have done for years is to take inventory of decorations, wrapping paper, bows, cards, etc when I put away everything when the Christmas season is over. I put the list of needed things on my new calendar on the month of November. That way I know what to look for early and not be caught short. This year I decided I need a new front door decoration so I put it on my list. I have all year to find something I like for my door. clap

By having this list, it helps when I go to yard sales and thrift stores. The sooner I find a project to finish, the longer I have to look for the crafting supplies I need.

I am planning for next years Christmas ornament exchange! I don't wanna be late again!! rofl

I like this thread!!!!

bunnydance

mommafitz

I found some free patterns for sewing slippers...and here they are

http://www.p2designs.com/images/patterns/s...rogSlipper.html

Also a nice one that is for sale..I'm thinking of getting this one..

http://sewing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite...tsSlippers.html

These patterns are great! Thanks for sharing them.

I found that the homemade gifts are the best, along with dishtowels! I had a couple of friends feel slighted because they didn't get a dishtowel this year. Go figure.

I'm making hot pads and dish rags in addition to the scarves & hats. Maybe I will get brave and try my luck at knitting a sock with a heel. Who knows? The year is still young. rofl

• 2 months later...

I am finished for this Christmas already. I hit the day after sales and they are already wrapped. I just need the stocking stuffers and baking. Off to a great start. Althought with being done I will keep an eye out for good sales to try to help out a family or two in need.

You know, last year I gave gifts from my kitchen and discovered a month or so later that the asparagus and mushrooms were nice, but some people didn't know what to do with them, in spite of the instructions of "chill before eating". Really. :0327:

So, I'll still make scarves, hot pads, maybe some hats...whatever the year sees me do. I'll still give to some people, but it will be solely 'consumable' goodies for a 'family'...not individual gifts (except for the children...). Even with DH's new job, we really can't afford to give gifts just for the sake of 'keeping up appearances'.

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I will say I do have some thing bought, like you, mellissat, I got in on some of the sales after Christmas. Not only the day after, but, later on when things were really at a discount. :)

But, I have lots to go yet. Of course I'll be baking before Christmas too. :)

I'm working on some plastic canvas things right now, but, they probably will be given before Christmas. :)

HUGS4-1.gifhaveanicedaydogandflowers.gif

I'd like to say I am done for Christmas already but not quite.

I am mostly finished. That is to say that I either have the gift bought or have the supplies to make the gift. The only things left to buy are my dh's and dd's gifts. I always wait until closer to the end of the year because their needs/wants change really quickly.

I am doing mostly handmade gifts this year. I am making a couple afghans, some checkbook covers, wallets, purses,crocheted kitchen sets, and some embroidered items.

I am cutting way back on the amount of gifts and the cost of them this year. We have 30 people on our list to give gifts to. It seems like we should cut it down but its all close family. But we're all cutting back and a lot of us are doing handmade so it won't be too bad.

On my side of the family, the adults have switched over to drawing names which we do when we get together for Thanksgiving, we do proxy draws for those that can't make it. This is saving us a couple of hundred dollars each year. Everyone still buys for all the children. This year though I am thinking about giving them some "busy boxes" and maybe sneaking in some "prep type" items under the radar. Is that wrong??? My family does not support my views on be prepared.

I am thinking about some homemade books on tape, because I know they enjoy them. Crocheting something for each of them, maybe adding in flashlights, batteries and water bottles. Then I thought I would add in either books or kits that are skill specific- maybe something on ham radios, or learning to crochet. They also sell those mini-garden kits, I might be able to figure out how to make those. Just something to spark a possible interest in self-reliance. Maybe something to do with hunting or fishing? I don't know yet I'm still working it around in my head. I'm open to suggestions-unless you all think maybe it's too sneaky???

I'll probably do the homemade books on tape for my husbands grandmother too, since her eyesight is going and I know she loves a good book.

I am also thinking about having my husband help me make a power-point type slide show with pictures of all of the family, and some nice background music, and maybe some other things. Then we can burn it to a DVD and have a special present for his parents.

You all have such wonderful ideas, I'll be watching and learning. Thanks!

I am also thinking about having my husband help me make a power-point type slide show with pictures of all of the family, and some nice background music, and maybe some other things. Then we can burn it to a DVD and have a special present for his parents.

I did this for this past Christmas and it was the BEST present. I did it for a larger family get together and I had pictures of great grandparents all the way down to our kids now....5 generations. It was geared towards my Mom and Aunts and mainly focused on them and our grandparents. I had full intentions of doing one for my Mom, Brother and Dad but time ran out. Scanning all of those pictures in takes a LONG time. I think I will plan on doing it for Christmas this next year and do one for my kids as well. The 17 yr old and 9 yr old would love it....a movie just about them!!!

I am thinking about some homemade books on tape, because I know they enjoy them.

The homemade books on tape are a great idea! I'm going to see if I can get some of my family to make some for my dd. She would love that.

I think your box idea is great. Nothing wrong with being a little sneaky!

• 1 month later...

well we thought we were ahead on the Christmas gifts for the children as well. That is until my youngest one went through them while I was in the shower and unwrapped all of them with his name on them. Then I had to TRY to explain why they were in there and no "Santa" has came yet.

well we thought we were ahead on the Christmas gifts for the children as well. That is until my youngest one went through them while I was in the shower and unwrapped all of them with his name on them. Then I had to TRY to explain why they were in there and no "Santa" has came yet.

:o

Oh, my!!! NOT funny, and hilarious at the same time!!! **trying to suppress a giggle**

How old is the child???

OH - by the way about the slippers...

If you don't want to spend money on gripper fabric, dots of a raised fabric paint work, too. Just be sure to give each dot of paint a quick "poke" with a toothpick or other small similar item so that the paint is partially embedded into the fabric before it dries. Otherwise they can be pulled off more easily. ;)

My son is 6. I did thingk it was cute but upset at the same time. My mom tells me these are the things I will miss when they are grown. I did find a few more steals this weekend to put up but I am running out of places to store things between trying to put up for b-days, Christmas, and stock pile groceries.

Just a storage tip for gifts- use luggage. Luggage with locks or combination locks are the best. Kids usually don't think to look there and if they are locked, they can't get in them.

If you need a temporary stash place before getting giftsinside to wrap them use an old bedspread in the truck of your car as a liner and emergency blanket and hide stuff underneath.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a brilliant idea for holiday gifts for kiddos.

I'm making our nephew his own sleeping bag - out of fleece. I got a bunch of sleeping bag zippers in bulk (they were about $6 instead of $16!) and 2 yards of a fun print - ON SALE, I might add, for $2/yard. He gets a custom fuzzy sleeping bag that he can grow with for under $10. All it takes me is a bit of time putting in a zipper. And now that he'll be a big brother this summer, he'll need *something* special for when he camps in Gramma's room or away from the baby.

A big plus - it's machine washable! :)

In our family, the rule was if you unwrapped your presents they were given to somebody else. (Not replaced either... Hey, we were poor, lots of kids and only so much money.)

Hard-nosed maybe; but presents never got hidden and lost, and Christmas wasn't spoiled by knowing ahead of time what your presents were.