MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Lamb

I wrote about my score on lamb on another thread, but now need advice. I plan on making stew with much of it, but might try canning just meat, too. What is better for lamb, the raw pack or the hot pack method?

I am assuming that it's safe to just switch out lamb for beef in my 'approved' recipe. Is that so?

Lamb would be handled like any other meat and is included in the recipes in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. I would possibly consider browning the meat first for flavoring before placing in the jars. Geez, my mouth is watering.

HannahLee,

I'm so jealous about your lamb score!

I would sear it first, personally. You want to lock in all those lucious lamb juices. yumyum

• 2 weeks later...

the only thing to watch with lamb is fat. Make sure you trim it up good. I have canned lamb and deer both, just follow the directions for beef.

I can mine up like a pot roast, pitch in a couple of small carrots whole, some quartered onion, a stalk of celery, lil salt, lil pepper.

pop the top on one of those cans, use the liquid to make rice, heat and eat!