MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

Had an extra waffle after breakfast so cooked them a bit longer in my waffle maker to make them crispy, cut them into small squares and let them cool...and Abby now has some extra treats that she's crazy about...they have just a tiny pinch of cinnamon in them...yes, I checked online and cinnamon is okay in small amounts. She is so food motivated that we can get her to do just about anything for a morsel! LOL

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stayed home.  Does that count?

I saved a penny today by taking the, maybe 3/4 cup, leftover rice, and instead of throwing it away, I warmed it and put cinnamon, raisins and sugar on it for DH's breakfast.  I also warmed a couple sl

Hit a yard sale this morning! 100 jars assorted (but 3 of quarts) for $25! Woohoo!!! It's too rainy out to unload them right now, but very happy!

Posted Images

Still re-using my mylar potato chip bags etc., and find them very handy for lots of stuff! Sealing little bags of coffee instead of opening one huge can and letting it sit out....I fill my glass decanter with coffee enough for a week or ??? and then divide the rest into my little chip bags, and the bigger chip bags I put unopened bags of cereals, stuffing mixes, rice/pasta side dishes (taking them out of their boxes saves room, and lots of other items that benefit from being in mylar type bags instead of boxes that can be chewed through etc. Lots of things that I have vacume sealed with my food saver will benefit from being put into a re-cycled mylar bag. I also had MM buy an 8-pack of Coors aluminum beer "bottles" with twist on lids (it'll take us forever to drink them!) because I want to put spices in them, with an OA packet, and then once the caps are on, dip them in parafin wax for a good seal that should last a long, long time. Just re-cycling some things saves us more than pennies.

Put some wheat rolls into my small loaf pan, covered them and let them rise this afternoon while we went for a 4 hour hike in the woods. Smelled sooo good when we got home, then popped them in the oven while I made tacos for supper! Also packed our own picnic lunch to eat in the park before we took our hike. Downloaded another daily load of free e-books! Wish I knew how to copy them over to my Literati (which I guess is not possible because it doesn't recognize an sd card, even though it's supposed to!) or my Acer notebook without having to download them under another email addy and directly to the Acer instead of our desktop pc...but I haven't figured it out other than having to download them. Got any computer geru's around here?

Edited by Philbe
  • 2 weeks later...

Washed and dried out some more "potatoe chip" mylar bags. I have some large ones that contain popcorn (re-sealed with my food saver), prezels, cheetos etc. and I just use a marker to write on the front what it now contains...LOL A bag of chips don't last long with Mtn.Man around...he's my "chipmonk"..LOL...so I save the mylar bags they come in for future uses. (ps...I know, I need to be careful of buying those things when I know they're his weakness!)

I cut DH's hair yesterday. I've been doing that for over 2 years now. I think the Wahl hair cutting kit paid for itself after 3 haircuts. And, I'm getting better, especially at trimming around his ears!

Well, the fact that he still has ears is a good sign you must be doing a pretty good job! :icon19:

AOO...Jeepers is right on! He's still got ears! We could probably save alot of money if I cut Mtn.Man's hair and let mine just grow out. But..we figure that will come soon enough if SHTF...LOL

DH and I are both growing our hair out. I don't think mine's been trimmed at all since before we got married. My hair is finally longer than his...at least when it's dry! His is curly.

I dried apples that were free. I am making a gift basket for the neighbors. Put in a quart of apple pie filling, makes some oatmeal pancake mix, and a package of gift tags I made so far. I have peanut brittle frozen to add. Not sure what else I will put in. Maybe a couple of my embroidered flour sack towels. Should find some small things for the kids they have. One 13 year old boy and an 8 year old girl.

Today I am sick and don't feel like doing much. Another rotten sinus infection.

TheCG...Mtn.Mn's hair is naturally curly and the longer it gets the curlier it gets. Mine is pretty much straight, thick but fine. Seem to have lot some of it's thickness when 1st husband died and then of course...being 65+ has it's down side on hair thickness I think?

Only thing we really did today to save pennies was fill up the truck (took another nice hike in the woods and worked at the Little House) on the WM credit card and saved 15 cents per gallon. When Dec. is over, the cards will still be used only for gas.

We used to say that dh had a cheap hair cut......Only the cost of a razor. That isn't so cheap any more but still less than the cost of a salon do. BALDDDDDD!!!!!!

My hair is very thick and "boy short" - easy but it does require a monthly trim.

Turned stove to pilot, put on 4 layers (of clothes). It is not really that

cool- but it is windy. canning the harvest, gizzards and chickens.

I too wonder about moving- if it breaks a contract. I am guessing no if where you move to has the same company.

Looking to save money on our cable bill-it seems to go up every month.Anyone here have direct-tv? What can you tell me about it? Seems to have a lot of good bundles till the end of the month.What happens if we move before the 2 year contract expires?

I love Direct TV. When I moved here to Denver, didn't really have another choice. I told my brother [my trustee] that I wanted it before I left Los Angeles, so all is good. There are good bundles. I have my tv, internet, and cell phne [Verizon] bundled. You might want to ask friends and family of they have it, too, because if you all do the referral, you each get $10 off your bill. as for moving, it moves with you unless you can't have it for some reason.

I cut DH's hair yesterday. I've been doing that for over 2 years now. I think the Wahl hair cutting kit paid for itself after 3 haircuts. And, I'm getting better, especially at trimming around his ears!

Well, the fact that he still has ears is a good sign you must be doing a pretty good job! :icon19:

:thumbs: The first few times I cut his hair, well, I'm glad he wears a ball hat most of the time!

I only get my hair cut once a year, so we figure it's just better (safer for the marriage?) to have it cut at the hair-cutting place. Mine is such a simple cut that last time, they charged me the child haircut rate.

Picked up 6 packets of the "add water only" black pepper gravy mixes & vacume sealed them in a mylar bag. Figure if I don't have alot of fuel to be able to cook gravy from scratch (and I'm good at it!) that we'll still enjoy some gravy & biscuits. Also picked up a few cans of the "sausage" gravy at the store. Also going to figure out a way to turn the Jiffy cornbread mixes into add water only packets for our pantry...adding dehydrated eggs & powdered milk...may not have enough fuel to do any long term cooking. Also went to the homestead and brought home the Coleman cook stove with a case of small propane bottles, our Buddy Heater, our Cad heater, and a larger propane tank to keep here...just in case we would need to cook & keep warm. Can cook on enclosed porch (closed off from house) with no danger of affixiation. The heaters are fumeless type. It's starting to turn winter and don't want to wait until we need them. Talked with one our young couple neighbors with a small child, telling them we had "brought home some simple camping gear" and suggested they lay in some sort of heat. They'd never really considered it. They just live day to day, pay check to pay check. Almost housebound because all their money (and they both work!) goes to housing expenses. We don't let them know we have anything laid up other than letting them know we do plan to keep warm for a few days if we needed to. Also filled up 2 additional propane tanks, so that makes 7 with 7 more...not counting the 2 dozen bottles we keep for fueling small stuff like the cook stove etc. Keep the bigger ones for use in our travel trailer IF we needed to leave here for some reason. Also picked up and filled 3 more cans of gasoline...again, that makes about seven or so...keeping stabilizer in them so they'll be ok if we need them..."to go on vacation" and don't have access to a gas station. But mostly in case we need to fire up one of our generators.

Edited by Philbe

Made one gift basket and one gift bag for two of our "like-minded" couple friends. They always look forward to their grab bags or baskets! Also, picked up some pretty little onions for my onion basket...which sits right in my kitchen! Also put water into the humidifier and got it plugged in. Just makes the mucus membranes more comfy in this kind of weather...LOL

Edited by Philbe
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally located one of my two hand sewing machines...the little ones that run on batteries. Wanted to add it to my emergency items...never know when I'd need to sew something up and not mess with needle and thread...even though I can sew a pretty mean seam! LOL Don't know where the other one's hiding out!

Well since the move I am no longer working outside the home. I have started making my own homemade cleaning products. I did a few before but I am trying to make everything from scratch. One of the conditions of me not working is I have a very limited budget for groceries and cleaning products. I am hoping to stay below budget so I don't have to go back to work.