MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

I didn't really save but I sort of did. I returned 3 packages of undies I bought on the spur of the moment. I didn't really need them and I'm trying to go down a size so back they went. Also a vibrating pad like thing I got for my back. Didn't really need it either. My heating pad does just as good. So, I sort of saved $40.00 today.

I hate to take things back so maybe I'll be more careful what I buy on impulse so I don't have to return things.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stayed home.  Does that count?

I saved a penny today by taking the, maybe 3/4 cup, leftover rice, and instead of throwing it away, I warmed it and put cinnamon, raisins and sugar on it for DH's breakfast.  I also warmed a couple sl

Hit a yard sale this morning! 100 jars assorted (but 3 of quarts) for $25! Woohoo!!! It's too rainy out to unload them right now, but very happy!

Posted Images

I saved this morning by having DH wait in the car while I picked up groceries. He always begs for goodies when he comes in with me..picture an old man pleading like a little kid for cookies, brownies, chips etc.

:laughkick: Too funny, Momo!

I made lunch out of a wrinkly potato, an onion, and some jerusalem artichokes and garlic chives from the garden. I made a "cream" of potato soup without the cream! I simply took a potato masher to the boiled onion, chokes, and potato after they had boiled a bit and sprinkled chives over the top. Pretty yummy and simple!

Jeepers-

Sometimes I buy :shopping: stuff that I KNOW I won't use :whistling: (so I can return it later in the month). lt's my "savings" plan. :blink:

What I mean is, I'm too undisciplined to have cash around because I know I will spend it...... :busted:......so, I "invest" in merchandise that I will return for cash when I really need it. :faint3: I know. I'm bad. :behindsofa:

Edited by Midnightmom

Saving a few pennies by cutting down on our food consumption...portion control. We both gained weight over the holidays and want to get it off. Even though we've been walking/hiking/dancing it doesn't want to come off. Lose a pound or two then it's right back...grrr. We both know it's because we're consuming all our holiday cakes and cookies but the freezers are full of meat & veggies and I don't want to take up my valuable freezer space nor do I want to throw away a perfectly good half of a bundt cake, nor half a dozen wonderful corn muffins, or the chocolate fudge we seem to always receive during holidays. Portion control, portion control, portion control...that's our plan!

Congratulations, lovinit! It is great to be debt free on your land!!!

I am learning to have an ever cooler house. Was running on 67 dropped it to 62.

Now I turn off the heat at night and awake to 52-55.

I should be heating my water o the stove and shut the WH off. It is far more economical

to heat the needed water for dishes and light bathing on the stove. The Wh can be turned

on for showers or heavier use.

Congratulations for paying off your land! We also run our thermostat at a much lower temp that we used to. Used to sleep commando but now wear pj's! LOL As for our water heater...ours is located behind a lattice wall (in our kitchen) so it's not accessible without moving the frig, the microwave cabinet etc. But it's turned down to a temp that we don't need to add any cold water to cool it down.

BIG ONE TODAY!!!!! We paid off the balance of our mortgage, and the last bit of a loan for land. Apart from that I did a big stock up. Going to bed with aThankful heart.

:cheer::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::balloons::band::band2::bouquet::bounce::woohoo:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

BIG ONE TODAY!!!!! We paid off the balance of our mortgage, and the last bit of a loan for land. Apart from that I did a big stock up. Going to bed with aThankful heart.

Congratulations!!

Off topic.

Andrea-what is the name of the mountain in your profile pic?

Half Dome in Yosemite. On a clear day, I can see it from my house. DH and I actually climbed it in our early 20's. This year for my 46th b-day, we climbed North Dome which is directly across from it! Awesome place!

I don't know if it is really penny pinching, but I got 12 to 14 ounce bags of Christmas m&m's for $1.12 a bag. I got 10 bags to store. Could be a source of fat and carbs for later on. Will put in a food bucket with an O2absorber. Maybe the 2 with peanuts will be frozen instead, I don't know. Don't want to risk the nuts getting rancid. They should be fine with an O2 absorber, though, right ? My freezer is packed.

One thing I will do is sort some for Valentines Day and St. Patricks day. Red for Valentines, the green for St. Patricks day. My grandson won't think a thing about it. Can put in some Valentine container or something. Those are really cheap at thrift store. May use a ziploc with a printed bag topper to be even more frugal.

Tee Heeee...Portion control..........I hid a 3 pound box of chocolates that we received in the new year. Dh just asked where the chocolates are............my reply...........hidden!

I also bought ahead from the after Christmas sales. Lip gloss in heart shaped containers, and big red hershey kisses for Valentines. |Chocolate gold coins for St. Patrick's day. I try to find something suitable for my bus kids, at greatly reduced prices. It gets difficult if you don't want to do the candy, and still be age appropriate and fair for boys and girls from kindergarten to grd, 12.

Made up a gift basket for Valentines day for ny gd. Old fashioned teddy bear, make up bags with ,make up, shower gel in a cupcake container and the lip gloss. Reused the ribbon and the basket.

We have been stock piling as much as possible( after not doing as much last year).

Wheather permitting, the last of our new windows will be installed on Thursday, so that should help the heating bill.

Our beef arrives this week too, making for a busy time as we prepare 25 lbs of ground ahead for easy meal prep.

Dh is shipping flax tommorrow, and is happy to have it going to market. He pushed snow to clear the way to the grain bins, and is pleased that it hasn't filled in and he won't have to to it again. Saves fuel there too.

I need to get down to the business of budgeting for our new "different". It is exciting but scary too.

Lunch...didn't have since we drove to Daddy's for birthdays and had cake. But, drank coffee with mine. Supper, left-over ham-n-beans with cornbread muffins...both of us used portion control. Added some tabasco sauce to mine though! LOL Everybody gave us candy of some sort for Christmas etc., and nearly all of it is chocolate...so I'm going to try vacume sealing it and putting it on our shelves. Don't want to take up freezer space for candy. Don't want to give it away...it may come in handy if there's something I might want in an off grid situation..and...if it stores okay. Either way, we're not going to be eating much sugar.

I thought I had found a good deal a couple of weeks ago when I bought boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.28 a pound, minimum purchase of 10 pounds. Well, yes, it WAS a great deal. :thumbs:

This last week a local grocery store had chicken breasts with bone & skin for only 88 CENTS a pound! :hapydancsmil: Limit of three packages per transaction. Wouldn't you know, I NEEDED to go to the grocery store several times last week??? :wink (2):

I ended up with plenty of chicken sealed in my Food Saver bags, which, properly sealed and frozen, is supposed to last 2-3 YEARS.

We replaced our 20-year old water heater a little over a month ago. This last month's electric bill was the lowest EVER, DH says. We hadn't been running the fountain in the pond, because there was still open water, so that helped, too, but since it turned cold we have been running that. I'm anxious to see if the savings continue, meaning that the water heater probably has made a big difference.

We've been without a generator for several years. The last time we needed one, we borrowed my Mom's, but when she died my brother wanted us to pay pretty much what a new one would cost for it, so we declined. This week DH will be buying one on sale, but I'm not too thrilled - it's from Harbor Freight. They're notorious for cheap Chinese junk. DH says he'll get the replacement deal in case it goes bad, but when you need it, you NEED IT. <_< But at least we'll have one again.

I thought I had found a good deal a couple of weeks ago when I bought boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.28 a pound, minimum purchase of 10 pounds. Well, yes, it WAS a great deal. :thumbs:

This last week a local grocery store had chicken breasts with bone & skin for only 88 CENTS a pound! :hapydancsmil: Limit of three packages per transaction. Wouldn't you know, I NEEDED to go to the grocery store several times last week??? :wink (2):

I ended up with plenty of chicken sealed in my Food Saver bags, which, properly sealed and frozen, is supposed to last 2-3 YEARS.

We replaced our 20-year old water heater a little over a month ago. This last month's electric bill was the lowest EVER, DH says. We hadn't been running the fountain in the pond, because there was still open water, so that helped, too, but since it turned cold we have been running that. I'm anxious to see if the savings continue, meaning that the water heater probably has made a big difference.

We've been without a generator for several years. The last time we needed one, we borrowed my Mom's, but when she died my brother wanted us to pay pretty much what a new one would cost for it, so we declined. This week DH will be buying one on sale, but I'm not too thrilled - it's from Harbor Freight. They're notorious for cheap Chinese junk. DH says he'll get the replacement deal in case it goes bad, but when you need it, you NEED IT. <_< But at least we'll have one again.

Comment from Philbe...we've been victims of Harbor Freight's "replacement" deals. They can't replace what they no longer carry...grrrr Had to buy a more expensive tool (paint sprayer, battery powered drills that they no longer carry that type of battery etc.) and we could give you quite a list! About all we buy there now are the "trinkets" and fully expect them to fail after a few uses.

Enjoyed the cabbage (our freeby) and salami round that was hiding out in my frig.freezer (I cut it up) for din-din last night. Mountain Man (believe it or not) had never eaten cooked cabbage! LOL So...after supper I asked him..."do we plant cabbage this next season?" Don't think I got an answer...LOL Anyway...it was tasty for me, and I enjoy slaw and shredded cabbage over pork butt sandwiches etc.