MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

Enjoyed the cabbage (our freeby) and salami round that was hiding out in my frig.freezer (I cut it up) for din-din last night. Mountain Man (believe it or not) had never eaten cooked cabbage! LOL So...after supper I asked him..."do we plant cabbage this next season?" Don't think I got an answer...LOL Anyway...it was tasty for me, and I enjoy slaw and shredded cabbage over pork butt sandwiches etc.

Now I'm hungry for cabbage! I like it boiled with a little bacon grease added.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stayed home.  Does that count?

I saved a penny today by taking the, maybe 3/4 cup, leftover rice, and instead of throwing it away, I warmed it and put cinnamon, raisins and sugar on it for DH's breakfast.  I also warmed a couple sl

Hit a yard sale this morning! 100 jars assorted (but 3 of quarts) for $25! Woohoo!!! It's too rainy out to unload them right now, but very happy!

Posted Images

Philbe, I use cabbage in soups and stir-frys. I can't stand it on it's own, but properly disguised with lots of seasonings, I'll eat cabbage. It's so healthy that it's worth exploring ways you can stand it eat it!

I also enjoy cabbage...and one of my most favorites is to shred the cabbage very thin (not chunky). Put a nice pork butte in the slow cooker for a few hours. When the meat is nice and tender (pulled pork) I then grab a jar of chunky salsa. Then I grab some pepperjack sliced cheese. I then grill some hamburger buns. The assembly goes like this...once piece of bun, salsa, pulled pork, grated cabbage, salsa, slice of cheese, last/top of hamburger bun. Serve with chips or fries, baked beans and maybe even get fancy and bake up some cheesy grits!

Saved some $$ today...crochet'd two more dish scrubbies for my kitchen linen drawer. I use them more than sponges, and I can pitch them in the washer and dryer! Also cooked up a few potatoes to have potato soup for lunch today.

Edited by Philbe

I used the leftovers from last nights crockpot pork with mushroom sauce and green beans to make a creamed soup for lunch.

Our beef arrived today, so we prepared burgers and pre cooked some ground beef to have ahead for easy meal prep.

The price of the meat with cut and wrapping fees worked out to $2.48 per lb. I'll focus now on getting some fish put by, it is more costly but we do better with portion control with it for some reason. I'll be trying out a rub (on salmon) for supper tonight. Santa brought the new seasoning for dh to grill with.............

Target has a sale this week (almost done!) on 24-roll packs of ScottTissue toilet paper. Sale price $15.99 for 24 rolls. Buy two packs, get one $5 gift card back. When I got there to buy some, each package had a peel-off coupon for *another* $2.50 off!!! :woohoo:

Each package cost me only $10.99. 45 cents EACH ROLL! :cele:

(Hey, ya gotta take your *happies* where you can! :happy0203: )

Made a trip to Aldi's and replenished plus one to the pantry...what used to cost me about $70 is now over $100...:-( Also went to $Tree and stocked up on shampoo's and conditioner's and a few other items I wanted to get on my shelves. I'm planning to replace plus one, and then find something I DON'T have and start it on the shelf.

Finally have 8 of the small plastic cups that yogurt comes in, I use them for fruit juices/breakfast and they don't break! Also cut the tops off two more foil beverage bags to use to seal my traveling "seasoning" packets in, using my food saver. Put 6 more trays of frozen carrots/cauliflower/broccoli into my dehydrator for "traveling" meals in a bag.

Edited by Philbe

Twilight...have you considered making your own mocha mix and re-using those containers? I make my own cappachino mix and just use my food saver to seal them in bags. I would think you'd be able to re-use your tins. Also, they might make terrific gifts with your homemade mocha mix? After you've put your recipe into them, just seal the tins up in a big mylar bag for future use?

Edited by Philbe

Re-packaged in mylar bags, about 10 bags of instant white rice, in 2 & 3 cup portions, and then sealed them all in a HUGE mylar bag for storage. Still have one huge box to deal with later, when I get some smaller mylar bags. Too much trouble cutting the big ones down & then finding they're too heavy for the food saver & had to use my hair straightening iron.

Dehydrated 5 bags of veggie medley; when done, put the equivalent of 3 in a qt. jar, then 2 in a qt. jar, 1 in a qt. jar w/instant rice, fajita seasoning & chicken bouillon crumbles and vacume sealed for a meal in a jar, and then confiscated all the teeny-tiny broccoli crumbles & put them into a small jar to use for broccoli soup one of these days!

Found a recipe for making "sausage" patties from oatmeal and tried it. You won't believe it until you try it! When Mtn.Man came in from work, I stuck a piece in his mouth and said "what's that"...response...sausage? What a money saver if meat becomes scarce! Now I'm wondering about how one could store it since it contains no meat, and the eggs can be powdered? I know I could freeze it but ???? Told MM also that in an emergency, it could also serve as a dog food and Abby would think she was wading in tall cotton!

So what is in the oatmeal to make it taste like sausage?

Oatmeal would be better for a body than sausage any way-- and I like sausage.!

As far as the tins go... I do not drink mocha anymore- it is hard/impossible to find

creamer that is not soy based and soy and I do NOT get along.

Today is a beautiful day to hang clothes outside. But in the wet cloudy days

we have had , since I have to keep heat in my 1/2 bath , I take advantage of the heat to dry my

clothes. Clothes are put on hangers in there and they usually dry over night.

Mtn. Man and I ate the rest of our "oatmeal sausage patties" LOL for breakfast. Those little "burgers" are alot cheaper than pork sausage! Gonna try seasoning them to taste like hamburger...and also want to try seasoning them to taste like meatloaf patties!