MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

Rummaged through freezer and found pre-cooked chicken breast, pre-cooked green beans, from September (LOL) and nuked our supper along with some taters! Drove a few miles to a surplus store that is selling out and got some absolutely wonderful bargains...especially an inverter for $30!!!! The kind you can hook to a car battery (we probably won't use it on our vehicles, but will keep a separate battery on a charger) for emergencies. We have two deep cell batteries banked on our travel trailer so don't need it there. One of the best bargains (I think) were sterno cans for 50 cents a can, oil burning jars 25 cents each and cases of slow-burning chaffing candles, $7 a case of 24. MM also bought a 5 gallon metal bucket w/lid $5, he's going to make a rocket stove. Got some other goodies too!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stayed home.  Does that count?

I saved a penny today by taking the, maybe 3/4 cup, leftover rice, and instead of throwing it away, I warmed it and put cinnamon, raisins and sugar on it for DH's breakfast.  I also warmed a couple sl

Hit a yard sale this morning! 100 jars assorted (but 3 of quarts) for $25! Woohoo!!! It's too rainy out to unload them right now, but very happy!

Posted Images

I was just studying rocket stove manufacture on youtube last night....... one can make them large or small. Been thinking about some attempts at a small one soon. Grumbles at myself because i just threw out some great cans. Wish I had some welding equipment. lol. ( it is not necessary for little ones for a military cup cooker) but for larger ones it would be just the thing. Just making a small one will save me a good 60$ so does consideration of it count? Nice to find a wood stove thingy that will take bits of wood as there is so much of it in these woods at least once the snow is gone.

Saved a lot of money on a quilt backing for my boss's mother. I am quilting an heirloom quilt for them. It has been stored for many, many years. Got the fabric for them for $4 a yd. regular $12. Nice quality fabric.

No saving today, but earning ! Off to work in a little bit. I owe, I owe, so off to work I go ! Was out of debt till this brand new car last month. My other car was 14 years old. Dh wanted me to get one and pay it off as fast as we can. This is so I will have a newer car before he retires, if that day will ever come.

Would be much easier if not for medical insurance costs.

Just doing the best we can !

Vacume sealed some of the little hotel soap bars, into individually sealed "pockets". Will put some in our BOB's tonight when we update them. Last night, as an experiment, I made a big round of Bannock Bread, then in separate pot, put together my makin's for chicken pot pie with a little more moisture content than usual (didn't use as much thickening flour). I put my bread in a large round baking dish, poured the chicken pie mixture over it, topped it with grated parmesan, baked at 400 until cheese browned. Pretty tasty! Saved a bit, and then today for lunch poured a can of chicken noodle soup over it and nuked it. Pretty tasty again!

Edited by Philbe

Got a Kmart coupon in an email for $25 dollars off a $50 purchase. Couldn't pass that one up, so I used it for toilet paper, paper towels, batteries, laundry detergent, dishsoap and toothpaste and coffee. Some of the prices were higher than I would normally pay until they dropped by half with the coupon. I walked out of there feeling like I'd won a prize! :cheer: They can send me another coupon like that!

Found 3 small bags of sweet potatoes for less than $1.00! Also, was gifted with 3 WM size bags of "laundry soap balls" because a shipment of laundry soap boxes was damaged! Yippee! I'll save my homemade and use these. Made a big batch of stroganoff sauce and was able to get two meals of beef stroganoff by just cooking a new batch of noodles and using the leftover sauce.

I was given a cookbook that's published by Taste of Home, and called "Dinner on a Dime". It has lots of butter, sugar, and fats in some of the recipes so switched out to some of the low-fat products. Today, I made a spaghetti casserole from the section where you "cook one and freeze one". We're eating the 'cooked' one for dinner and set the other one outside in the freezing cold to cool it down. It will go into the freezer before dark. Too many hungry nite time critters around here. :feedme:

If anyone has a Rouse's supermarket in thier area ( MS and LA i know have them) They have Starkist Tuna and Kraft Mac n Cheese @2 for $1 no limit. I got 2 cases of tuna and 20 mac n cheese. Iwould have gotten more of the mac n cheese, but not sure how long they will store. I put them in a bucket with gamma lid. Does anyone know how long the powdered cheese will last? I do have mylar and oxygen absorbers I could use. I'm thinking you would open the box and put the macaroni and packet of cheese directly in the bag? Opinion anyone??

Yesterday for a quickie lunch (perhaps not what one would call super healthy) mixed one can of Hormel chili with no beans, 1 can of tomatoes with garlic & roasted red bell peppers and 1 can of chili beans. Made a terrific tasting chili from a can that didn't taste like it. This morning since we were snowed in I made a skillet full of sausage gravy and mixed up and fried a batch of Bannock biscuits to put the gravy over. Again, not necessarily what some would consider healthy, but it sure tasted good!

Had a 2 yo bull Angus cross we were going to sell, he charged and tried pinning DH against a pipe gate. He is now in the freezer. Between a friend and his wife, DD and her BF, DH and me we were able to field process him like a really big deer and hang him from the front loader on the tractor. We all now have full freezers.

Had a 2 yo bull Angus cross we were going to sell, he charged and tried pinning DH against a pipe gate. He is now in the freezer. Between a friend and his wife, DD and her BF, DH and me we were able to field process him like a really big deer and hang him from the front loader on the tractor. We all now have full freezers.

My first/late husband and I had a sow go bad once...and we ended up loading her up in the middle of the night and hauling her fanny to the slaughter house. We had plenty of ham and pork chops in our freezer! These beasts need to learn their place in the food chain! LOL

Hit a great meat sale and really stocked up on pork roast and chicken. They had chicken thighs ( good meaty ones) ten pounds for $2.89. Needless to say, I won't need to get any chicken for awhile. Freezers are now packed again!!!