MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

We figured out a meal plan using entirely meat and stuff we already have for 2 weeks. We're now going into week 2.

How long does it take for a turkey to thaw out?

It depends on the size of the turkey, TheCG.

Nice to see how everyone is pinching pennies.

We took a drive yesterday and picked up a truck bed full of pine wood someone was throwing out. It should last a couple of months.

Don't anyone mess with ma and pa Steel............Good to know you and yours are doing well ma Steel.

We were in ND this past week and were able to do a bit of stocking at lower prices. I'm now the velveeta, spam queen!

We enjoy the Taco Bell brand name and flavor of taco sauce in the bottle, so I've developed a "sort of taste like" taco sauce of my own which we enjoy at about 1/3 of the cost of the bottles I used to buy. I also make my own fajita seasoning.

Taco Sauce: (you may want to add more of each ingredient or less, depending on your taste)

1 8oz can of tomato sauce into a small sauce pan

Fill empty can 1/4 full and pour into the pan of tomato sauce

1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp. of ground cumin

2 Tbsp. of chili powder

2 Tbsp. of onion powder

2 Tbsp. of garlic powder

1 Tbsp. of ground paprika

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. ceyenne

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

2 Tsp. honey (or you can use brown sugar or molasses)

Mix well and heat to a gentle boil for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Let cool. When cool, you can put it into a recycled relish bottle or whatever kind of container you want.

Fajita Seasoning (also can be used as a dry taco seasoning): Dry - I put mine into a pint size canning jar.

3 Tbsp. cornstarch

2 Tbsp. chili powder

1 Tbsp. salt

1 Tbsp. paprika

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon crumbles

1 1/2 tsp. onion powder

1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp. cumin

Mix well and just sprinkle on ???

I had to go to WalMart today because of DH's drug plan. I finally hit the jackpot. For $1 each I got him 2 hoodies, 4 nice tee shirts, a 4pack of cute socks for one of my Princesses and a bunch of school tablets. It's been awhile since WM has had REAL clearances around here.

Fixed a nice loaf of Irish Soda Bread, and we each had a nice big slice (with butter of course!) with our supper. Fixed chicken tenders, broiled asparagus, and steamed potatoes.

I enjoy making Irish Soda Bread and Bannock Bread because they're so quick to put on the table with a meal and with my ISB there's always enough to make sandwiches, or french toast etc. The Bannock is more for just a side dish of bread. Anyway...they're both CHEAP and don't require yeast etc.

Edited by Philbe

When I damp mop my kitchen & bathroom floors, I mix my bleach water and then add about 1/2 cup of cheap mouthwash (Listerine type) to the spray bottle...then I spritz my floors and mop them with my swifter-type mop. Very refreshing and a good daily touch up between regular scrubs.

I mixed up a batch of powdered laundry detergent, but sometimes I like the liquid. So, I've taken a tablespoon of the powdered detergent and put it in a quart sized canning jar & filled it with boiling water. Let it set over night & next morning give it a vigorous shake...and I've got my liquid detergent. When I use it, I give it another good shake and then pour about 2 tablespoons into my washer. Just a convenience thingy for me when I'm washing delicates and using cold water.

I prefer liquid detergent too. With powder, I always seem to get some that doesn't dissolve all the way. Or else I get white marks on my dark clothes.

I finally got rid of my monthly cell phone bill. I'm using Tracfone now. I really like it. I very rarely use a cell phone so this suits me fine. I've got just over 1,000 minutes for the year and I'll never use them all. The phone was $9.99 and the minutes and a one year plan was $99.99. My old cell phone was just over $50.00 a month. This will pay for itself after 2 months. So, $600.00 a year verses $100.00 a year...Heck yeah.

I also got rid of one of my cable TV packages. On the step down, I'll only miss a couple of channels that I seldom watched anyway. Mostly international news etc. As soon as I block them from the remote I'll forget about them and never miss them. There might be a movie channel or two but I don't really watch too many movies. I usually can't sit still long enough. I'm mostly a Youtube watcher. So, I'll be saving $25.00 a month on that or $300.00 a year. Wow, I didn't realize it was that much until just now!

Go me! :eclipsee_Victoria:

Sigh, I walked through the meat department and found more marked down ground beef. 15 lbs for 11.97. Guess who's canning tomorrow since the freezer is full?!?

Way to go, everybody! :cheer:

Jeepers, we use TracFone. DH has LOTS of minutes, but mine get used up more quickly since I'm babysitting the Grand-kids and he calls me every noon. We like it.

And we never got into the Cable TV stuff. Yes, we like some of the shows we've watched at the in-law's camp site when we visited, but it has never been worth the $$ to us. We missed some stuff, but our house is paid off! :cele:

TracFone is wonderful. I spend about $7 a month and have great coverage. I paid $10 for the phone and have had it for over 5 years without a problem..not even a new battery! Unless you talk alot it is a good deal.

• Dehydrated all my onions, one step closer to using up everything in the fridges so we can unplug the beasts. Tired of paying for and being dependent on their electricity!

Did my laundry by hand and hung to dry on my drying rack (for the same reason)

Used residual heat to do most of the cooking at meal times

Started a stash of cloth pads for my girls and I (getting awful tired of paying money to wrap our bits in chemicals and plastic! :ashamed0002: )

Not today, but on Tuesday before my dental appointment I went to Verizon to see if I could lower my bill. It turned out that I didn't use all the data I had so we lowered it by $30 a month. So, instead of $112 per month. It's now $80 a month. Then after my appointment the receptionist told my crown is going to be nearly $100 cheaper than originally thought. Cool beans!

Yea Ceilia!!! :thumbs: That's always good news.

DH and I are restructuring everything in our lives right now, it seems. Part of the goal is to save many pennies every day....

MtRider :0327:

Way to go Cecilia!!! That's a huge savings.

I wash my own car too. I usually take it to the carwash, but I use one of the do-it-yourself bays. It's nice in the summer when it's so hot outside and the spray flys back in your face. Almost like running through the sprinkler again. :runcirclsmiley2:

After wheeling and dealing over my riding mower, I got the final bill today. It is less than what the original price was without taxes etc. :cele:

Went to some plain people stores and found some really great buys on meats, so stocked up a bit more. Also bought 2 cases of instant oatmeal packets and they're safely in a food safe bucket. Just makes sense to us to have something that all we have to do is add hot water and we have an addition to our eggs etc. especially in SHTF. Now that we've got mother's things pretty well sorted out, I'll be canning some meats. The produce auctions have begun, so we'll be taking some of those in, and I'll be canning veggies. Also ordered another case of apple cider vinegar bacon from the plain people's market in another city.

Took a motorcycle ride today & stopped at a plain people market. They had thousands of garden/flower seeds, 10 pkgs for $1.00. Found about 90 or so and they fit just fine in the back/trunk of our motorcycle! Absolutely lovely day for a ride. Also found another plain people surplus store. Boy did we wish we had some dollars and our pickup!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.