MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Have you ever seen a stargazy pie? That's the sort of pie I would have had to make.

I much prefer them without the bones, head and skin...

462293888_2e090c75b4_o.jpg

Looks like something from Gilligan's Island. LOL!

I ordered 165.00 worth of CVS brand pharmacy items from their online 30% sale . I paid 100.02 and saved 65.00 plus got free shipping ! This was a nice suppliment to our first aid/medical supplies.

Woo Hoo

Yesterday I got 10 pounds of ground round for $1.48 a pound. Today I made a huge batch of meatballs and froze them in small dinner size packets. I love to have nice meatballs ready for nights when I don't feel like cooking alot. Great for spaghetti or hot meatball & cheese sandwiches.

We surely do appreciate your sacrifice, Josephine!

Well, to save money and get my food preps organized better, I have been snatching the empty shallow boxes that the canned food comes in at Walmart. Sometimes I have to empty out partial flats so I can get the box. I am always careful to organize and place any cans I move into the proper space they belong so I don't make more work for others or cause the store to forbid box gathering.

I was thinking, as I looked at them , that they would work great for kids when they are doing a messy craft. You could put the paper in and all the messy glitter and glue, etc. would be contained in the box.

We bought a new washer yesterday. I've been hand washing for two weeks!They wanted $60 for delivery and 10 to take away the old washer!

I am so thankful that we could take it with us. My step-Dad works at the dump, so I'd rather pay him some of that money to haul it away for us.

I have been snatching the empty shallow boxes that the canned food comes in at Walmart. Sometimes I have to empty out partial flats so I can get the box. I am always careful to organize and place any cans I move into the proper space they belong ...

I do this at my store too! :)

I got another free tank of gas yesterday. :cele:

Our grocery store gives .10 off of every gallon of gas at their station for every 50.00 you spend. You can save it up for three months at a time and have to use it all at once. I saved up to 2.90 a gallon and gas was 2.87.

It doesn't happen very often that I can get enough saved up for a whole tank but I was doing some stocking up over the last few months. :ph34r:

I got 11.00 in coupons for gas in my tank today too. Our grocery store

has pumps. We get a dollar gas coupon with each 10.00 puchase.

We also bought 12 /55 gallon barrels (food grade) today for 80.00

That was split 3 ways @ $26 each person.

Got an extra 15% coupon for use at my pharmacy for my meds. What a blessed day.

Today DH and I took some old 55 gallon barrels we had left from Y2K. We set them up in a series of four connected barrels on a movable stand, to collect rainwater from our barn. We'll use the water to water our veggie garden this year. City water is so expensive and rainwater is better for your plants anyway. We are using the barn water since it has a metal roof and won't have asphalt chunks in it.

I scored an amazing deal on ball jars- less than 3 dollars a dozen at our local grocery store! I never find sales on glass jars, and I never would can because it cost me more money. Well not anymore! I am soooo excited! I plan on putting up lots of tomatoes and pears this year! :) I saved $168

I got whipping cream on sale for 79 cents a pint. Made butter out of it. So good, sweet, creamy, and less salt. It is really tasty.

As usual, washed out some bread sacks to reuse, things like that.

Went shopping and got more chopped ham for 99 cents a lb. and froze a bunch.

I bought 15 pairs of sneakers, at Sam's. They were on clearance for $4.30 for womens and $4.80 for mens. The women's were all 6 and 6.5, but Emma and I can wear those, and the men's were all 9's, but Caleb and Noah, can grow into those, sometime, anyway.. There were two colors, for both the men and women's. I also, got a 25 cube, shoe cubbie, for $22.

Iv started my Spring clean, it does take me months to do. So I started in the lean too, and found a tropical fish tank heater. We needed to buy one, so now we just need to put a plug on the cable.

Oh someone mentioned stale bread - google a delicious British sweat called Bread Pudding. It uses stale bread, spices, sugar and mixed fruit, put in the oven for a few hours and you get a wet cake. Very delicious. It can be eaten hot or cold, sliced up but needs to be eaten in two days. It is very moreish so be warned.

I talked my daughter out of spending $298 on a prom dress she had her heart set on. I showed her a pattern quite similar to it which I can get for $1.99 when JoAnn's has their pattern sale and I found fabric for $5 a yard that looks almost like the one on the dress she liked. I reminded her about the gorgeous dress I made for her that cost eight dollars, even with a beaded bodice and she conceded that maybe I could pull this off, too.

I told her quite frankly that we could do the dress for around $50 or less and she agreed that would leave money for nice accessories and shoes. I also showed her some dresses on ebay that were even less than that.

She is paying for her prom dress herself...so you'd think she'd be frugal!!! Geesh. I told her if I sewed her one, I'd pay for it. LOL

Safeway is having a sale on Ragu pasta sauce for $.99 each. When you buy 3, you get a $2.00 off next visit coupon. I bought 6 yesterday for $5.94, and then bought 6 today for $1.98 (used the coupons), and I'm going to go back and get 24 for $19.76 and get $16.00 worth of coupons, and then I'll turn right around and buy 18 for $1.98 and get $12.00 in coupons, then I'll buy 13 for $.87 and get $8.00 in coupons, then turn around and buy 9 for $.99 and get $6.00 in coupons, then I'll buy 7 for $.99 and get $4.00 in coupons and then save those coupons for later 'cause it's a loop of buying 6 and getting $4.00. :)

Let's see, I'll have bought 83, and paid $.39-ish for each. If I did the math right... :huh:

That's 1.6 pasta and sauce meals a week for a year. Hope my family likes pasta! :lol:

Edited by Josephine

I went skip dipping today. My next door neighbour had a skip outside, and I just cant resist it, I did ask her permission first. I got the following for free:

6 large wine glasses

2 Pint glasses

A tall electric fan

1Cup and Saucer

1 Washing up bowl

1 brand new iron, never used

1 lamp

1 washing up brush

1 extension lead

1 packet of smellies and soap never opened

1 table mat (I thought it was a chopping board)

3 stacker boxes, see through

1 curtain tie back

1 box of recipes by Grandma

1 packet of electrical tie backs

1 ball of string

1 old fashioned M & S tin

1 pack of post it notes

1 lilac plant pot - with plants

1 ornamental plant pot in the shape of a house - with plants

1 large water bucket.

I could have got loads more, but I had two companions who took a lot away in a truck. I must get a sticker on my jeans, the phantom up-ender strikes again. :lol:

Made my own automatic dishwasher detergent from:

1 cup baking soda

1 cup borax

1/4 c table salt

1/4 c citric acid

30 drops sweet orange essential oil

Use 1 tablespoon per load--found it in the borax thread in DIY.

I wonder,

Is skip dipping like dumpster diving? My apartment complex where I grew up had trash dumpsters and I loved finding treasures in them!

I was wondering the same thing.

I recycled my shop-vac bag, ala Amy Dacyczyn and the Tightwad Gazette.

Cut off the end, dumped out the contents, folded it back up to close it, stapled it heavily and sealed it with some packing tape.

Worked like a charm!

Those buggers have gone wayyyy up in price and since I vaccuum the house every single day we just go through them too fast, big as they are.

It took me about 6 minutes to do it and even with factoring in the staples and tape, saved around $5.

That would work out to a $50 hourly wage, tax free.

I'm so glad I finally just did it!

I wonder,

Is skip dipping like dumpster diving? My apartment complex where I grew up had trash dumpsters and I loved finding treasures in them!

Yes, it's exactly like dumpster diving.

When I started grad school for the last time, I REALLY desperately needed a new hard-sided brief case for my laptop in addition to a handful of notebooks for my classes. I just didn't have the money.

One Sunday morning, I went to take the trash out to my apartment dumpster, and there in the corner was a few cardboard boxes with HUGE notebooks that I needed and an almost brand new laptop case. Seems the paralegal in another apt. was moving and didn't want to pack the stuff with her.

I scrambled into the dumpster, took all the boxes and it was exactly what I needed for the time! My husband (then fiance) accused me of shopping with no money. When I told him "I did!" he had to laugh. He truly embarrased me later by calling me a "Dumpster-Divin' Mama" :24:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.