MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

I saved bunches :bouquet: of pennies today!

The kitchens in my apartment complex are being remodeled. Mine was the first, so I got a pretty good idea of what was going into the dumpster. I also got a really good of idea of what to divert from going into the dumpster!

I got the guys to put aside for me the inner shelving from my apt and from some others too. It's 46 X 16 X 5/8 pressboard (?)~I got six of those. They have also been trimming out the kitchens with walnut finished paneling~96 X 7 3/4 X 5/8. There are two panels/apt and they have thrown away pieces as short as 24" and as long as 42"! I got them to set aside some of those pieces for me too. :cele:

I kind of knew what I wanted to do with the pieces, but got of depressed when I couldn't find any way to cut the pieces to the sizes I needed.:banghead: ....until I finally got the idea to ask Home Depot if they would make the cuts for me. Guess what? They did!!! And...................they didn't charge me either!!! :woohoo:

So, I've finally got all these pieces of shelving cut the the sizes I want - now I just need to get the energy to get some shelves constructed! :sassing:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stayed home.  Does that count?

I saved a penny today by taking the, maybe 3/4 cup, leftover rice, and instead of throwing it away, I warmed it and put cinnamon, raisins and sugar on it for DH's breakfast.  I also warmed a couple sl

Hit a yard sale this morning! 100 jars assorted (but 3 of quarts) for $25! Woohoo!!! It's too rainy out to unload them right now, but very happy!

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I streamlined my home visits by zip codes

That is a good one. I have heard that UPS takes that to another level by mapping out the routes that the drivers take to eliminate (or severely reduce) left turns. The reason is that you have to wait so long to make a left turn that they've determined that it requires less gas to make a couple of rights and end up at the destination anyway.

yesterday, I changed the plan on my tv--I went from a bill of $173 a month to $78 a month :happy0203: I won't miss all those movie channels--and dh is not here to miss them :whistling: I am so proud of me, I usually just leave things the way they are :bounce: now, I am researching turning off my home phone...

Dented can store closing down here. Two for one on everything in the store!!!!!! til it's gone! I only spent $20 but got some great deals. Got the storage issue you know!

I have two loaves of wheat bread rising on the counter. I have gotten out of the habit of making all of our own bread products because I've been working so many hours. Now that I'm not working nearly as much, I decided it was time to get back to being frugal. My daughter just got home from school and keeps asking if I can please bake the bread already! :grinning-smiley-044: While my work schedule remains sparse, no more paying almost $4.00 per loaf of bread!

• 2 weeks later...

I have two loaves of wheat bread rising on the counter. I have gotten out of the habit of making all of our own bread products because I've been working so many hours. Now that I'm not working nearly as much, I decided it was time to get back to being frugal. My daughter just got home from school and keeps asking if I can please bake the bread already! :grinning-smiley-044: While my work schedule remains sparse, no more paying almost $4.00 per loaf of bread!

:o

$4.00 a loaf! Wow.

DH and I rode over to Schillinger Flea Market so I could trade some books. I admit that I do get testy when I don't have something good to read! I wanted some strawberries but had already priced them at Wal-Mart...$1.98 for a 1 pound box, but I heard the fruit stand vendor anounce that he had strawberries for $9.99 a flat. So I picked up a flat of strawberries, 10 lb. of potatoes for 1.99, and a huge head of fresh cabbage. We stopped at CVS and found Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce for .42 a can. I make squash dressing quiet often, so we use a lot of cranberry sauce. Umm...I think tomorrow will be squash dressing, peas with okra, and cabbage day! :feedme:

Gave my two schnauzers haircuts this morning. Savings $80!!!!!!! And they look like schnauzers again!!!!

Pics, pics, we want pics of furry companions. :grinning-smiley-044:

Walmart had 2 packs of kids toothbrushes for $.75 a pack. Cleaned them out (8 packs). I think that is going to get the two of them 8 months of toothbrushes each. Will check back on Friday to see if they have restocked them. Ran to our W-mart to see if they had them. They were sold out but they had them marked at $.97 a pack. So I'll run to the other one when we go to Costco and Sam's on Friday.

Has happen again today........................

We were at the bakery "date old sale" to get a few things and also got some for neighbor that was just layed off. Been helping them out with food.

So we got talking as they didn't "think' they would EAT day old bread!"

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I had to tell them the story:

IF you shop on Monday and buy bread for Supper that you plan to cook on Thursday............ IT IS DAY OLD BREAD BTY THEN!

So we went on Monday to get you bread to make sandwiches on Tuesday! SO our bread IS fresher than your will be! LOL

But we know that they (like a lot of people we know) are picky about what they will eat - Even if there is NO FOOD IN THE HOUSE!

We still had some potatoes left in storage from the 2010 garden but they had sprouts on them so they didn't want them?

GUESS what they are NOT getting from us this week?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

*** Sure glad they are NOT living in Japan now because then they would HVAE TO eat whatever they could find (if anything)

I consider myself to be quite picky... There are certain foods that I just won't eat. However, I have never been truly hungry either.

My favorite item that people turn their noses up at are eggs. We have farm-fresh, organic eggs and some people think that there is something wrong with us for eating them when you can get eggs at the store. Where do they think those store bought eggs come from??!! They all fall out of a chickens butt!!! Ours just happen to be healthier because we know what kind of food our hens eat.

I made a loaf pan of corn meal mush for DH's breakfasts for the next few days. He loves it and it's a cheap, cheap dish to make. Fry it, add a little butter and syrup and he's good to go. Well, I'd probably give him a little ham or sausage patties to go with it.

Last Christmas my neighbour at the BOL sold felted items and made good money. So I'm scouring everywhere for old sweaters to felt upcycled mittens. Bags from sturdy cloth, play mice from felt, Amish puzzle balls, I'm making them to go into sale.

My elderly friend with whom I walk the dogs daily was given LOADS of clothes last sunday. A woman we know recently became a widow. His cupbaord is filled to the brim and his wife was nagging for someone to take the surplus away.

DS and me went to pick up what he didn't want and I've got plenty of materials to work in advance.

So what was the penny saving bit? Got plenty of materials for free to make items to sell.

My friend gave me spools of different colours thread to sew today as well.

I feel a creative extravaganza coming on.

I made a loaf pan of corn meal mush for DH's breakfasts for the next few days. He loves it and it's a cheap, cheap dish to make. Fry it, add a little butter and syrup and he's good to go. Well, I'd probably give him a little ham or sausage patties to go with it.

Dee, I love corn meal mush!! Have you ever mixed in a few blueberries or huckleberries? I like to stir in about 1/2 cup of berries before you pour it in the pan. So good!! Now i'm ready to make some.

My recipe is from the box of cornmeal but if you grind your own corn here's the recipe.

Boil 3 cups of water. Mix 1 cup cold water, 1 cup cornmeal and 1 tsp salt together and stir slowly and constantly into the boiling water. Turn the heat down and cook 5 mins. stirring often.

When it's done I put it in a loaf pan, partially cover with waxed paper until cool. After cooling cover with tin foil and put in the fridge.

To cook slice 1/2" slices and fly in skillet. Serve with butter and syrup. I've never tried the fruit that Trudy mentioned above but I will next time I make some.

My recipe is called 'Blueberry Polenta", but it is the same recipe as the cornmeal mush on the Quaker Yellow Cornmeal round box. I just make half as much and add the blueberries. I brown mine on a griddle with butter flavored Pam and eat with Smuckers sugar free syrup. So good!! My grandma sure would get a laugh out of fancy people calling cornmeal mush--Polenta! :sHa_sarcasticlol: