MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

http://shop.goldenmalted.com/?gclid=CM_T04zpj6kCFQ4g2godvDshow we had these at a very expensive hotel on vacation a few years ago--I bugged them until I found out what brand they were--I know you are probably not looking for a mix--but these are SOOOOOO worth it!!! you will not be sorry!!!! :eclipsee_Victoria:

Thanks, Deerslayer! I might just try them! This morning I was going to try a new recipe, but decided to try some of the ones that I'd frozen yesterday. They were pretty good. They weren't limp since I heated them up in the toaster oven. I will definitely use this recipe again, but I'd like to find the perfect" recipe for me and my family.

we LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! the malt makes them very interesting and extremely good--i buy the mix by the case and it come in #10 cans--not a bad price when you figure it per person--(we would pay anything for it--but don't tell them :eclipsee_Victoria:)

I either use the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook or the recipe on the back of the Krusteaz bag of pancake mix which I will buy from time to time if the price is right! I also cook extras of both waffles and pancakes and freeze for future use.

As for limpness, we always heat them up in the toaster and this seems to solve the problem!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought four gallons of organic milk at almost half price ($2.79 instead of $4.98 - they were close to expiration) and put them in the freezer. Figure as I open one, I'll put a frozen one in the fridge to thaw and hopefully I'll have a steady stream of milk available, and then hopefully I'll be able to continue to stock up on the markdown ones and rarely have to pay full price. I'll only buy organic milk but boy does it get expensive!

I wish I could remember who first posted this, so, I can thank them personally. I always use dishwashing detergent and a wash cloth to clean my dishes well to prepare them for the dishwasher. Lately, I have started using a dime sized dollop of that same dishwashing liquid (Dawn, Joy, Palmolive, etc). in the soap cup of the dishwasher instead of dishwasher detergent. I save $7-$8 per bottle on dishwasher detergent and no spotty dishes. I happen to use Palmolive. I am told you must not use a bleach formula detergent or use too much. A dime sized spot will do you. I did not believe it, either until I tried it.

I wish I could remember who first posted this, so, I can thank them personally. I always use dishwashing detergent and a wash cloth to clean my dishes well to prepare them for the dishwasher. Lately, I have started using a dime sized dollop of that same dishwashing liquid (Dawn, Joy, Palmolive, etc). in the soap cup of the dishwasher instead of dishwasher detergent. I save $7-$8 per bottle on dishwasher detergent and no spotty dishes. I happen to use Palmolive. I am told you must not use a bleach formula detergent or use too much. A dime sized spot will do you. I did not believe it, either until I tried it.

Now that sounds interesting! I was going to make the home-made dishwasher soap before my store bought bottle ran out, but this would be so much easier. My dishwasher soap cup has 2 sides, one that you close, and one side is open. would you put a dollop in each side?

• 3 weeks later...

Score! DH saw a leather couch sticking out of a dumpster. He climbed in with his knife and climbed out with six big (18-22" x 24-30") swatches of upholstery-grade leather, plus a lot of scraps. He said he'd have brought more if he had a car instead of a backpack (and arms) to carry it home in.

What some people throw away!

Edited by Ambergris

Good find Ambergris! DH worked in our little town for almost 30 years. Wednesday's were trash day and the treasures he brought home over the years was amazing. I considered alot of it junk at the time but it's unbelievable how much we've used for fencing, pens, and anything else you can imagine. It's also surprising how many people throw their soda and beer cans away. DH would save them until they were taking over the garage and off to a redemption center he'd go. Yearly he made close to $1,000.

Yes, it's amazing what people toss.

Very Cool! Thanks for the tip! I'm going to give this a try!

Redeemed my coke reward points for a free AMC movie ticket and large soda voucher. Harry Potter, here I come. :D

Wait, what?

Do you know about Coke Rewards? Anyway, you can redeem them for lots of different stuff, magazines to movie tickets and then some. Go to www.mycokerewards.com and check it out. I've been redeeming mine for movie tickets and it comes with a soda voucher. Next on my list to see is Harry Potter. The only part I don't like about it is there a 120 point per week limit.

Now that sounds interesting! I was going to make the home-made dishwasher soap before my store bought bottle ran out, but this would be so much easier. My dishwasher soap cup has 2 sides, one that you close, and one side is open. would you put a dollop in each side?

No, Ma'am. Just a dollop in the side you close works fine.
  • 1 month later...

I have been very fortunate lately. Three different people I know have over-producing gardens, and have let me harvest all I want. SInce DH was in the hospital most of the spring we couldn't put in much of a garden. I am so glad to get such a wide variety of wholesome food...for free.

In the past week I got about 30 pounds of tomatoes, 10 pounds of gorgeous red peppers, 20 pounds of apples, 5 pounds of onions, 2 pounds of garlic. 10 pounds of squash, 3 pounds of blueberries and 3 pounds of green beans. Yummy!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm at work right now on lunch and I found some backpacks on markdown for 3.50 ea! I was just going to buy some to make ghb's for hubby and I, and make a basic bob for my siblings. :) I know what I'm doing today!

• 10 months later...

Our neighbors tossed out a bed frame with under drawers in excellent condition. I asked them if we could take it, they said they bought a new set and did not want to store the old one, then, they helped DH load it on our truck. Solid wood!

DH did an internet search, over $1,000.00 new. :cele::amen:

Last weekend the campground where we vacationed had a section with "yard sales". DH went early with his Dad, but I waited to go, because it was hot and it was bumper-to-bumper golf carts in those areas.

By later afternoon, everyone was packing things up to have the donation truck haul it away. A lot of things were being given away for free so they didn't have to take them to the truck.

We *just happened* to drive by a woman wrapping up a set of four Corelle ceramic mugs. I asked if they were Corelle, and "how much?" when she said they were. She GAVE them to me!!! :woohoo: And even finished wrapping them for me so they wouldn't chip!

I have been wanting to buy a set of four to replace my chipped ones, and I had planned to order them online after vacation because Meijer no longer carries those that match mine. And shipping was almost as much as the mugs.

I was happy. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since funds are so tight and cash is extra short lately I cashed in my credit card points. I try to forget I have them so they add up. The last quarter they gave 5% rebates on gas and groceries so I charged my groceries to earn extra points. I got a check instead of a credit and it helped pay my unexpectedly(and not budgeted) high electric bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the right place at the right time this am.

I was in a little local 7-11 type store when the owner cleaned out all the out of date junk foods. She offered them to me since the vendor doesn't take them back. I took the ones that expire today or yesterday and put them in the freezer. Next time DH has a sweet tooth he can have one and I won't be tempted( to snack along with him) like I would when I have to make him a whole cake.