MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

Cat

This is a wonderful forum...let's not let it get too old! Recently (not today) our local Big Box store had huge bins with all kinds of OTC's for 88 cents! Stocked up big time on Diphenhidramine (?), mucous relief, acid reducers, Ibuprophen, low dose aspirin, just alot of goodies!

This is a wonderful forum...let's not let it get too old! Recently (not today) our local Big Box store had huge bins with all kinds of OTC's for 88 cents! Stocked up big time on Diphenhidramine (?), mucous relief, acid reducers, Ibuprophen, low dose aspirin, just alot of goodies!

My Walmart has a tiny section close to the baby lotions in the health and beauty area, that has aspirin, ibuprofen, acetomenophine, generic Zyrtec, and some other generic otcs for $.88. I've started tossing two- four of something into the cart whenever we go. Walmart also has Fels-Naptha for $.99, which trumps my local grocer,who charges $1.69.i ont remember the exact price of washing soda and borax, but it was cheaper than my local store too. I bought one of each box and three bars of the soap. Paid $10.23 w/ tax. That's not bad for a year's laundry laundry detergent. More than a year, really. The borax and washin soda will make maybe another three batches, even with me using one cup per instead of one half cup. I still had half full boxes at home, and 6 other bars of soap, not counting the home made bars of lye soap I inherited when mil moved to assisted living.

Do you all know you can use the fels naptha bars on poison ivy? A pharmasist told me this 40 years ago,just wet the bar and rub it on the area of your skin that has the poison on it and let it dry,reapply as needed.

My granny did that to me when I was a youngster. She saw the rash, grabbed me by the wrist and headed for her bathroom! (I thought I was in for a lickin') She grabbed this bar of soap, ran it under water for a second and then scrubbed the dickens out of my wrist where the rash was. Then reached into her linen closet, grabbed a strip of white flannel and wrapped it around my wrist and fastened with a safety pin. Gone so quick! I can't remember exactly, but I know it was gone in 2 days and never did itch! Granny's have the know-how!

My Walmart has a tiny section close to the baby lotions in the health and beauty area, that has aspirin, ibuprofen, acetomenophine, generic Zyrtec, and some other generic otcs for $.88. I've started tossing two- four of something into the cart whenever we go. Walmart also has Fels-Naptha for $.99, which trumps my local grocer,who charges $1.69.i ont remember the exact price of washing soda and borax, but it was cheaper than my local store too. I bought one of each box and three bars of the soap. Paid $10.23 w/ tax. That's not bad for a year's laundry laundry detergent. More than a year, really. The borax and washin soda will make maybe another three batches, even with me using one cup per instead of one half cup. I still had half full boxes at home, and 6 other bars of soap, not counting the home made bars of lye soap I inherited when mil moved to assisted living.

Yeppers...except our local WM had several huge bins in the middle of the "action alley" between the registers and the beginnings of the merchandise. Just couldn't believe all the OTC's I was able to find. Everything, even cough syrups, cough drops, and everything I mentioned before and then some. Got ourselves 3 big storage bins in our pantry area stocked with it. Then went to $Tree and stocked up on cortisone creams and triple antibiotics...just to add to our pantry. Came in real handy a couple of weeks ago, ran out of something and when we went to the store we usually purchase it at it wasn't there! So...I just shopped in my own "action alley"...:happy0203:

I have been very fortunate lately. Three different people I know have over-producing gardens, and have let me harvest all I want. SInce DH was in the hospital most of the spring we couldn't put in much of a garden. I am so glad to get such a wide variety of wholesome food...for free.

In the past week I got about 30 pounds of tomatoes, 10 pounds of gorgeous red peppers, 20 pounds of apples, 5 pounds of onions, 2 pounds of garlic. 10 pounds of squash, 3 pounds of blueberries and 3 pounds of green beans. Yummy!

I'd call that being fed from the hand of God! Don't get no bettah! Sorta reminds me of something I read about feeding the sparrows! (ooops...forgot something...if you click on the rose hopefully you'll watch it bloom!)

Edited by Philbe

Pinched some pennies really hard today! Picked out the rest of our Sq.Ft.Garden today...potatoes, carrots etc., and cleared out the rest of the 1x1's, covered them over with the left over Mel's Mix, and will cover them with plastic to keep them free of grass and squirrels wanting to plant their "winter crops" in them. Then, I sauteed up one huge mess of fried 'taters and stuck them in the frig for breakfast. Steamed one mess and stuck them in the freezer for ??? The sweet basil is neatly waiting in the frig for us to add to our meals these next few meals. For supper...made a huge batch of egg noodles and added left over chicken that I roasted a couple of days ago. Made us 3 meals. Being empty nestes, it saves us more money if I cook a big batch of something and then we eat left-overs. Don't have to fire up the stove every meal. I love this particular forum, I see sooo many ways to save even more!

Pictures speak louder than words! Got lemons and limes on sale & stocked up. I expect we'll see a price hike this spring on all fruits and we love "citrus" water. So put all the odd & end pieces into my Berkey filled glass frig container for a refreshing drink. Put the rest of the pieces in a vacume sealed bag and they're in the freezer for more citrus water. Yum, yum!

Went to goodwill today. Got a ton of stuff!!!

I got 15 pair of name brand jeans for me for $3 eachA pair of brand new walls coveralls for $1215 sweaters for $3 eachA beautiful "fur"trimmed dress coat for $11A couple of lighter jackets for $4 eachA big box of scarecrows and pumpkins for my obsessive collections!!!

Since I have lost so much weight, I am finding I can get what I need at goodwill so much cheaper than anywhere else!! Whe you have to replace EVERYTHING price counts!!!

I went thrift shopping, too. Got a pretty burgandy velour zip top to wear to work this winter. Our office gets cold ! It will look nice with black pants. Got a brand new Guess brand hoodie with the tags on from Macy's for my grandson for his birthday. It was $13, but I got 40% off. Figured not that bad for brand new. Got him a lightly worn red hoodie for $2. I got a woven Christmas tablecloth, all cotton, that I will cut up for holiday tea towels. It is Martha Stewart brand. I can cut quite a few out of it, for $6. Got some Chrismas oven mitts and hot pads for 99 cents each. Bought a pair of black Levi jeans for my grandson for $2. Had a teeny worn spot on top of one of the pockets. I put Fray Check on it, then stitched it by hand and you cannot even tell. Got brand new lavender cotton knit jammies with pink embroidered roses on it. Tags still on. Regular $30, paid $6. Will be a Christmas gift for my dd. So pretty ! Also got some new Christmas hand towels for 99 cents each. All those things will be great gifts ! Oh, and a brand new tshirt for my husband and one for me, too. Each were $1.20 .

Then, a store had shave gel for 99 cents a can. I picked out the cans that said 20% more in them. Got 10 of them. Got a coupon for bbq sauce, save $1 on two. Had them on sale for 79 cents, so 29 cents each. Even though it was only 2, that is more than I had ! I got the bottles of sauce with coupons for 50 cents off 2. I can go back and get more and pay 54 cents each that way. Had candy bars 2/$1, and had save 50 cents on two. So, 25 cent candy bars, limit 4. Not much, but a cheap treat.

Took some bars of soap we did not really like. Grated them and mixed with borax and washing soda and made a big bucket of dry laundry soap. Had the washing soda and borax already, too.

Did you ladies know that you can recycle washclothes into house slippers by sewing up the sides to make a "footy". Then (oops...typo) tuck one end upward to form the "boot". Make a hem around the top and thread a piece of yard or (?) for the slip tie and wahlah! You have a pair of house slippers!

Edited by Philbe

Went to the dent/bargain store and found name brand chocolate chips for $1.00 a bag. They had expired only 6 days before! So, now my freezer is full of 20 bags of various flavors of baking chips - Heath, Reeses, & dark chocolate. I was clearing that space for beef, but in the end, chocolate is much more important! :D

Save tons on bleach (and yes, the liquid will go bad in a very short time) by buying bleach tablets. One tablet makes a gallon...and there's 32 in a bottle, which costs me $2.97...available at WalMart in the laundry section, usually on the bottom shelf area. Here's a pic...

ghk-evolve-bleach-tablets-smn.jpg

Save tons on bleach (and yes, the liquid will go bad in a very short time) by buying bleach tablets. One tablet makes a gallon...and there's 32 in a bottle, which costs me $2.97...available at WalMart in the laundry section, usually on the bottom shelf area. Here's a pic...

ghk-evolve-bleach-tablets-smn.jpg

And THIS is why we have these little chats! I did not know such things existed. Economical AND saves space. Def a

doing to my Walmart list. I wonder if they are safe for stored drinking water...thanks for sharing!

Edited by VickiG

Went to an estate auction. Got big boxes of screwdrivers, sockets, pliers, hammers. Each one with over 25 pieces in it for $5 each. Got lots of shovels, rakes, etc for $2 each. Got a really nice craftsman toolbox, one of the tall ones with drawers for $45. Got four ice chest and a small assortment of misc for very cheap also.

Picked up my half beef and have it it away. So glad to have that here in case any thing goes wrong soon

Going to order a hog or two next month, then we are good on meat for the winter!!!darlenedance.gif