MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
411man

Survival Laundry Equipment

Anyone aware of these?

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm

These are also available from Major Surplus.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Wonder-C...4266C1967.aspx

Video On How To Use these washers.

These alternatives were offered by Jerry d. on another forum.

A couple of other options:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-hom...othes+dryer.do

http://www.wisementrading.com/washing.htm

Other Methods .

Wash Boards :

http://www.columbuswashboard.com/

James Washer :

http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-hom...ames+washer.do

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/wash.htm

Rapid Washer, aka Yukon Plunger

http://www.wisementrading.com/washing.htm

Hand Wringers :

http://www.wringerhand.com/

Mop Wringer Bucket Combo :

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/sea...pe=...p;x=15&y=10

I have all the washing 'stuff' but the wringer which is on my wish list. I got my Wonder washer off of Ebay for less than $25 with shipping. I have my grandma's washboard and picked up a couple more at tag sales and when we bought our house one of those plunger washers was in the garage.

Blessings,

Bb

You're welcome. I'm never quite sure, as a newcomer to a forum, how soon to start linking to sites and tossing off information (unless a question is directly asked). I don't want to step on toes or get a "Yes, we all know that, thanks". smile

You could try to do a search first, or do as I do... Give a holler in the shout box - Where is that thread about _____? Or - Is there a thread about ___?

Feel free to bump threads - We love bumped threads around here.

If you know an answer to a question on forums, don't be shy. Someone will be asking a question to learn something you may know, Josephine. We range from absolute novices to many who have been dealing with skills and knowledge and knowledge of good or not so good websites we can get things from, so don't worry. I am sure you are quite considerate, considering your post.

I just got started getting camping gear for BOB stuff and for having to deal with no electric, as an example. I have started to get ready for canning this year, and trying to build up food where it is expensive and a bit hard to come by as I only can get to the big stores about once a month and have a fixed budget. But at least I am grateful I can budget, lots of the good folks here are suffering job losses and not having enough to take care of their families. I am a single adult woman, although I know I have to be able to eat decently if possible for health reasons and still need to prep, and I just am doing what I can, also with priority set to move to near my son and his brand new wife and their family far to the south of me for now, in a few years. I thank god he got an excellent job and education and experience in the USMC and is striving to take care of his obligations and his wife is very much like him in her own endeavors and still serving in the USMC. Both officers. Her family sounds like really nice, Christian folks and I am very happy for them both.

There are so many reasons to prep, short term and long term, I am so grateful for Darlene and the others who help her run things here. It has been enriching, educational, a place to make new friends of quality that is rare these days, and I find the support here truly wonderful.

We each are real people with real stuff going on in our lives and I think some of us realized more recently that we needed to be much more supportive of each other and not be too rugged in our posts in some of the forums, and it has been a humbling experience and we do not want people being afraid to post or be upset, especially new folks to the site.

I find things are better for me if I just deal with learning more skills and being supportive of others most of the time although I too, will post an opinion. One of the things I realized is how important coping skills are with the issues and circumstances today and working hard on that right now, or I would curl up in fear and not move at all or do anything good and that is not taking good care of myself... so the help and answers I receive here keeps me going... I will try to continue to prep in as many areas as I can overtime, and hope and pray that we all can get through these times we are in.

I have a Rapid Washer and it is incredible. One day this summer the kids managed to get dirty, dirty, dirty, and I just couldn't stand to put all that dirt into the septic, so I put my big wash tub on the back porch, hosed the kids off with warm water from the solar shower, wrapped DS and DD in towels and then started working on getting their clothes clean. The Rapid Washer just sucked all the dirt out in no time - I was soooo impressed.

I have tried to collect in one poost as many options oin this subject as I could. I hope it helps everyone's search.

Originally Posted By: 411man
I have tried to collect in one poost as many options oin this subject as I could. I hope it helps everyone's search.

The one in my post is one that I got from your original post. smile

we have (and use ) the mini washer listed in your first link.

We also own and use all the time a Magtag (square) wringer washer and the rince tubs and the wooden clothes racks as well as clothes lines on reels outside to dry on 'good days'. We can also have the wringer powered by a engine with pullies if need (power is out for a while).

And of cause we use the homemade soap.

Michael1

Originally Posted By: Josephine
You're welcome. I'm never quite sure, as a newcomer to a forum, how soon to start linking to sites and tossing off information (unless a question is directly asked). I don't want to step on toes or get a "Yes, we all know that, thanks". smile

Link away! Mrs. S doesn't mind the links.. we like them!

as a wringer... use a mop wringer!

the hand crank washer is cute.. fun even but really a bucket and plunger is cheaper and just as effective... less parts to break!

I wonder if the mop-bucket's wringer rollers can stand up to things that are thicker than mop strings on a regular basis? The mop-bucket wringer would probably work fine for t-shirts and lightweight stuff, but I'd hate to find out the hard way that anything heavier will quickly wear out those rollers... ouch!

I'm guessing that the heavier duty sure 'nuff real-deal clothes wringer will outlast a mop bucket, especially if you need to wring out lots of jeans, thick towels, etc.

Aren't there metal clamp-type mop wringers [squishers] tho? You might not be able to get a whole pair of jeans in the clamp at the same time...... ??? I've never done this ...so I'm guessing.

feedback

Don't forget the one or two person clothing twist. One person needs to secure one end to a post. Two people each grab an end and twist in opposite directions. [not recommended for arthritic hands...owwie! ]

MtRider

Right now, I don't have either kind of wringer. If I'm caught needing to wring out heavy jeans and towels with my bare hands, I guess I'll use a leather tanner’s trick..

As part of the process of tanning deer skins (the old Indian way), at some point one needs to wring the hide really well. I'll try my best to describe the wringing process involving a tree, some rope and a stick...and a really heavy wet towel (instead of a heavy deer hide).

Take a length of rope, tie one end around a tree trunk, about 5 or 6 feet away from the ground. Tie the other end around the tree trunk about three feet away from the ground. Leave just enough slack in the rope to be able to pass a thick towel between the rope and the tree without the towel touching the tree.

Pass the wet towel or jeans through the opening between the rope and the tree, overlapping the towel by approximately a third of itself.

Then roll and fold the wet towel onto and into itself, all the while tucking in all the loose parts until everything is tightly rolled together, sorta like a giant donut.

Place a sturdy stick (about the thickness of a broomstick) through the ‘donut’ hole or opening, and gradually twist that stick ‘round and round, until the towel is twisted tight and the dripping just about stops. Undo the wet towel and repeat.

Lo and behold! A seriously wrung out towel...with relatively little effort. Leverage to the rescue!

Originally Posted By: westbrook

the hand crank washer is cute.. fun even but really a bucket and plunger is cheaper and just as effective... less parts to break!

When we use our 'hand crank washer' it's really a power washer as after you put in the clothes (more then you can in a bucket) and the soap (just a little) and the water you put on the top and seal it, then turn it over and over (for a short time). When you open it up there is a bit of suction (like a vacuum seal) and the water is really dirty. Rince cycle is next and again you will have a pressure wash going on . I don't think you can get them that clean with a bucket and plugger - but they would be cheaper and good to have in a pinch.

I have the mop wringer that just squeezes the water out. It works great on heavy stuff also. In fact it actually works better on thick stuff. I had to use it during Hurricane Gustav and ended up putting a few pieces of clothes in at one time to get the bulk.

I know this is an old post, but wow! This brings back some old memories. I can still remember my grandparents washing clothes. She had two galvanized square tubs that granddaddy pulled outside for her as they were on stands. One tub had the ringers on it to pull the clothes through to wring out the water. One tub for washing and one for rinsing. Granddaddy would be the one hanging the clothes on the lines.  My mother had the old wringer washing machine and clothes were hung on clothes line.  I do have to say those were the good old days. I do have a clothesline but I also have a washer and dryer. I do like hanging clothes out during spring, summer and early fall. Just can't handle the cold weather to hang them in winter. 

• Like 1

Miki, I wondered the same thing when I saw his post. I clicked on his link but the site is no longer available. :(

• Sad 1

If you type in on google Amish way homesteaders, all kinds of things come up. There are videos of them you could click on. Though not sure as I have not checked it out yet if they are active or not.

• Like 1