MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 2:11-12

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

The past 2 days have been heating up again. I sense the enemy stirring things up and that naturally concerns me. But You, being God (and You never just accomplish 1 thing with 1 situation), I also find myself coming face to face with my own limitations...my limitation to hold my temper (while I have a long fuse, once lit, I get concerned), my limitation at being able to successfully walk obediently in some areas of my life that You've called me to. And to be quite honest, those limitations kind of make me sad. I find myself coming to the end of the road within...to the end of where I'm able to accomplish some of these things myself with my own willpower, stubbornness, wisdom, whatever You want to call it...

So, what's next? Your grace has in an unbelieveably manner, really been sufficient these past 2 days. Yesterday was horrific and yet the sun set with a resolution, a peace, a sweetness, a blessing.

This is just too much for me to absorb in my mind...it's too big, it feels complicated (although I know it must be simple), so here I am Father, once again, to study Your Word.

I'm feeling a little quiet with You this morning, which is ok. You're probably happy when I sometimes run out of things to say so that I can just sit in Your presence, and feel Your power, Your peace, Your holiness and most of all, Your love. Maybe You could do the study this morning, through the power of Your Holy Spirit, cause I'm just not feeling up to it today.

btw Father, I really do love studying Romans...I look forward (most times) to doing it every day. There's something sweet and special about it, even though Romans is such a very direct book. It really kind of peels the skin off the banana exposing Your Truth and purpose and plan for our lives.

May this study today, in some special and unique way, touch my heart and others.

In Jesus Name,

11. For there is no respect of persons with God.

12. For as many as made a life-choice of sin, though without law, without law also shall perish; and as many as under law made a life-choice of sin, shall be judged by law.

The rvbv writes in respect to verse 12: "Literally: "For as many as without law sinned, without law also shall perish; and as many as under law sinned, though the law shall be judged." But the tense of the verb 'sinned', in both cases is the aorist; and cannot refer to the mere fact that they committed sin; for "all have sinned." The word 'sinned' must refer to the general choice of sin as against righteousness and holiness. Therefore have we translated it 'life-choice of sin', because the whole life is here looked at as a unit, and that life was a choice of sin, whether by Gentiles without the Mosaic law, or Jews under it."

In verse 11 the 4th principle is "Without respect of persons." Regardless of whether someone is rich or poor, intelligent or ignorant, strong or weak, etc., God always sees all through His own eyes of holiness and truth. He is an impartial God, with no respect of persons. Regardless of whether one was/is Jew living under the Mosaic Law, or not, if sin is chosen, there is doom.

The rvbv writes, "Those "without law" choosing sin "shall perish"; those "choosing sin under the law shall be judged by that law," and consequently go into more terrible damnation.

There is a poisonous vagary floating like a miasma through Christendom, that those who do not have the light of the gospel will be saved, either by a "second chance," or by "purgatorial fires," - because, forsooth, "God is too good to punish sinners." Paul will answer these theories in Chapter 3 by an unanswerable question: "Is God unrighteous who visiteth with wrath? God forbid; for how then shall God judge the world?" Meaning, that wrath is inseparably connected with judgment, whatever the degree of light sinned against may have been.

How indescribably more awful will be the doom of those who now constitute a third company - even those who reject the love and grace of God manifested in His Son! (Heb 10:28,29).

Always remember that the contemplation of an especially heinous degree of iniquity and consequent judgment is accompanied in the deceitful human heart by the delusion that those not chiefly guilty shall somehow wholly escape. But verse 12 distinctly says as many as chose sin, even though they be "without law" (anomos - 1Cor. 9:21 - without externally declared divine revelation), shall also perish.

Now, the word parish here is a terrible word! When used in Scripture regarding human beings it never hints of annihilation, but rather the contrary: "and be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna." (Matt 10:28). What "destroy both soul and body in Gehenna" means as to time, is shown in Matthew 25:41-46: "Then shall He say unto them on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels.' And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life," - compared with Revelation 20:10: "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the Beast and the False Prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of the ages."

Note the same word, aionios, eternal, concerning life and concerning punishment. "The ages of the ages" is God's constant phrase for the duration of His own endless existence; and for that of Christ, the Son; and for that of His saints. See Galations 1:5 (the first instance of this phrase, - used 21 times in the New Testament). Revelation 4:9 and 1:18, and 22:5, need to be compared with 20:10, as examples."

Heavenly Father,

I dunno what to say right now. Perhaps that's exactly what I should do...not say anything.

I love You, I need You, I want You Lord of my life. Be with me, and us, this day, and may our lives accomplish something eternal, no matter how small, this day.

In Jesus Precious Name I pray,

I just had to check out the NLT once again,

Rom 2:11 For God does not show favoritism.

Rom 2:12 God will punish the Gentiles when they sin, even though they never had God's written law. And he will punish the Jews when they sin, for they do have the law.

To me the bottom line is ... we're accountable... no excuses accepted.

That term "life-choice to sin" is interesting.

Quote:
The word 'sinned' must refer to the general choice of sin as against righteousness and holiness. Therefore have we translated it 'life-choice of sin', because the whole life is here looked at as a unit, and that life was a choice of sin, whether by Gentiles without the Mosaic law, or Jews under it.

Yes, that expands the meaning. All have sinned....and unfortunately, we all continue to do so. But being under Christ, and not wanting sin to be our way of life, we are covered. We should never get too comfortable with sin. We should never relish it...even little bits of revenge on deserving persons darlene2 or tiny rebellions that "don't make much difference" rollingeyes . It needs to never become a "life-choice" for us. We need to never begin down that path and show such disrespect for what Christ has done to clean up our lives. We are taught how to behave better than that.

MtRider [Hmmmm, this Romans study is gonna get 'worse', isn't it.... wink yes, it IS "direct" ]