MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Guest Guest

First 100 That Disappear First in a Disaster

thanks ladies, GOOD advise. It is so easy after reading so many posts to realize how far behind beathorse one is knowing the limit of funds that's available to get what you know you need.

OKAY, I'm asking and reminding myself, How do I eat an elephant? One bite at a time. we all will just keep putting one foot in front of the other till we can't no more. running

Thanks for the encouragement!!! grouphug2

cleanheart

This is a good basic list. Blankets and cots or air mattresses with a manual pump. Sleeping bags, tents that are free standing dome types can be warmer to sleep in. One may also have to customize for individual preference,climates, the types of things they can afford or have available in their region.

I have to think up two ways, one for my apartment and the event of getting kicked out of my apartment and having no way to get to where my son may be some states away, unless I walk out, and that may not be very safe. So plan B is to go up in the woods. I want to make a hideaway up past any private land and will be far enough away from the hwys where I live to stay out of trouble except for the wild critters, which may be more civil than my immediate neighbors anyhow. (* lol). arby

PS. Making a four season shelter and bringing close enough wood for a fire will be part of Plan B. luckily there is always fresh windfall every year.

As for heating my apartment temporarily ( power outtage), propane tanks and indoor outdoor quality heater that runs on propane is the only thing I can maybe store safely enough inside as i have no sheds or backyard area with this old apartment. I have plenty of river water and creek water I can boil and filter if I ran out, and can also flush the toilet with... too.

Longer terms would be up in my hideout. I will cache food. Rubbermaid containers will work for that, along with alot of digging. Marked with stones I guess, something that will stick up out of two feet of snow.

Making some wool afghans with a loom set up seems a good idea too. For me.

We once lived in an old camp trailer and it wasn't very big. I got a shepherd's folding stove and put in the trailer. We had a propane heater, but only 5 gal bottles and they don't last long. If you are snowed in for months at a time you get creative. I lined the wall behind the stove with alum foil and it kept the wall cool. A shepherd's stove stores in a small space and the stovepipe can be nested into a box till needed.

Great! I've been looking for a good starter list to print off and begin checking off!

I'm thankful to live where I do. It's REALLY hot for about three months, but nice the rest of the year. We don't have to rely on wood heat, the sun takes care of all that. Staying cool is harder smile .

Gosh Iv got a lot to get.

I have Faraday Torches ( you shake them to make them light), and also some Dynamo Torches (by far the better, you wind them up to get light, my one will also charge a mobile phone, I could read by mine), Dynamo Lamp (can't read by it but lights up the room). All of these I got at a wonderful bargin price on Ebay. I saw a Dynamo/Solar Radio but got outbid. There is also solar powered shavers for the men.

Staying cool: make your wrists and neck cold with a cool hanky or flannel or run your wrists under cold water. A New Zealand friend of mine, had wet towels over her as she slept in an empty metal bath when it got very hot over there.

Thanks so much for this. I had seen it only briefly and meant to comment and didn't.

I've got half of these, but what a list! It certainly helps me refine and focus.

Any idea where this list came from?

The list was first assembled by Joseph Almond prior to Y2K.

http://www.josephprep.com/Provisions/100_items.htm

This is a great list , the first time I saw it on Old Fluwiki I was overwhelmed. It was a Real list, of Real things, a Real person

hunted for, lacked, had some of but not enough, and it was the result of living for a year (s) in war time conditions.

From that day to this it has been my guide to collecting and storing necessities other than food.

A good reference is a good reference no matter how old it is. Sarajevo wasn't yesterday, and these items are More, not Less

necessary today.

Pearl

This addition was at the bottom of the link that Midnightmom posted in "37 Critical Items". I thot it was worth bringing over to our LIST thread.

http://thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:

Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war - death of parents and

friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.

1. Stockpiling helps. but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate

near renewable food sources.

2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.

3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war

quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold's.

4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to

do without (unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)

5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without

heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of

the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs

enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in

bulk.

6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more

valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival

guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you'll

have a lot of time on your hands.

7. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how many

people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of

toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to

lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.

8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches

While I don't have a problem with any particular item on the list, since it was made prior to Y2K, I wonder what evidence the creator had to support the list. Or if he just made it up based on what he thought should be on it.

What disasters did he analyze? How did he obtain his inventory results from the various stores? How far from the epicenter of the unknown "disasters" did he go?

Forgive my cynicism, but I bet he just made it up.

If you look at riots, the first thing to go are designer clothes, alcohol/cigarettes, and consumer electronics. I have my doubts that a denizen of New Orleans during Katrina would be seeking tuna packed in oil over booze, smokes, and corn-chips.

:lol: You may have a point, Gunplumber! So....this is the SECOND Hundred things to go....? Or maybe it's the First 100 things to go if prep-minded people are shopping. :shrug: Haven't seen reports where folks in a hurricane's path go on a goat-buying binge. :P

Seriously tho, it's likely the things that people go for if a disaster lasts a long time, which naturally would be the point of looking at it.

In Hawaii....the FIRST thing to disappear is the rice. I've heard of the popularity of Doritoes for Hurricane Parties. Looters ....well, they are a different mindset entirely. :shakinghead:

MtRider

And stuff like a manual grain mill? Sure - it's a great idea if you're working on your 20 year storage food, which means you're out of beans and rice and dried pasta. Which means it has been weeks if not months since civilization ended.

I see three tiers of storage/supply. The first is wet goods. Canned food. Ready-to-eat stuff. This is stuff that I use regularly, so it gets rotated. Parallel to that is the more expensive but lighter weight and longer storage stuff like MREs. This is if I have to go mobile. High calorie to weight ratio. But I don't use it on a regular basis because it is expensive.

Second tier is the bulk rice & legumes. And dried pastas. While I do use pasta on a regular basis, not in the quantities. Spaghetti is my preference because of its density. I see no point in soaking beans when I can open a can. But the dry-pack beans last a lot longer.

3rd tier is what I don't have - the 20 year grains for which a grain mill would be needed, or a mechanism for sprouting them as the sprouts are supposedly more nourishing than the bean itself. What kind of disaster would have me grinding wheat? A lot more than a week, or a month. Probably around month 6 I'd be breaking into that stuff.

While Katrina was bad, it was localized. Did anyone really need to go more than 2 weeks on their own? That's why I don't buy the list as being anything other than the author's fantasy. We haven't had any disasters long enough for some of his items to move from convenience to necessity.

Edited by Gunplumber

I use a tiered system too. Particularly since I've already had to evacuate with no guarantee that the house wouldn't be burned to the ground when we returned....and other reasons, I like to keep BO items for that first tier too. All I could stand to eat during the first few days of our crisis was a nutritional protein bar. I keep lots of those and protein shake powder in foil bags. Mix with milk or water.

Your second tier and third tier are combined in my life....yes, I've been eating off of this tier for years now. It is the one way I can contribute to the expenses [by keeping them down] of our household. I've bought and used bulk grains for years. DH is our breadmaker [learned from his Grma] but I do many other things. I have some stored pasta but also make some. I have some canned beans and tend to use them but, it is far more economical IF I can think ahead and soak the dry ones. I use some 'normal' foods but very little prepared-processed. I'm stuck and home so have the option of cooking from scratch.

Cuz ....I'm not defining my disaster in terms of hurricanes, blizzards or even forest fire. My personal disaster has been ongoing for a long time - economic. For years now. No sign that in these times, our personal economics are going to get any better.

I consider gardens, goats and ducks to be my third tier: Long-Term sustainable. And I've already incorporated that too. With the price of most fruit/veggies, I NEED garden crops or our diet would be without much variety. I won't buy over a certain price....we do without.

So seriously Gunplumber...you don't think you'd have any Hooey longer than a few weeks..months? Why?

BTW...mechanism for sprouting is: beans or seeds [organic and local is better :shrug: Definitely NOT treated seeds!], quart canning jar, one lid ring [not the flat part of lid], and some cloth mesh. Dump seeds and water into jar. Let soak 24 hrs. Dump out water and rinse. Do not leave water in jar now tho. Rinse 1-2 times daily as the sprouts grow. Put into sunlight to get full GREEN. :shrug: Low tech. Yes, I'd heard that toasting the sprouts and grinding them into breads, pancakes, etc is very nutritious. Also one indoor way to get fresh enzymes during a seige of whatever. Without enzymes from some fresh foods, the digestive tract is messed up.

MtRider

So seriously Gunplumber...you don't think you'd have any Hooey longer than a few weeks..months? Why?

The writer implies that he got his list from actually examining what the top 100 purchases were in disasters. Since we have not had any disasters longer than a few weeks, and some of the items on his list are for long term sustainability, I assert that he made this list up and it is not based on any actual data.

For myself, it is a matter of priority. The 2 week disaster I believe to be imminently more likely than a permanent wipe out of civilization, so I make those items a priority of chicken and goats and seeds.

The mostly likely long term disaster I predict will be illness or injury that prevents me from working, which is another reason I have 6+ months of food on hand.

As I said before, your assertion may well be true. OTOH, I think Post Katrina, Post Andrew, Post Rita, etc might produce a list like this. I'm sure Darlene, with her long-lasting, post-hurricane experiences, could have crafted this list. Some areas hit regionally by hurricane have been without 'normal' for much longer than a few weeks. Insurance companies/FEMA/construction-repair companies cannot get to every property that quickly...so these folks have experienced weeks-going-into months.

The "third tier" stuff [chickens and goats] was likely an extrapolation. [unless this list did not originate in the USofA? ]

Ultimately, what does it matter? There are a gazillion lists in existence. We each take a look and decide what we believe will be an asset to our families, our situation, and the potential in our future. :shrug: I use lists to spur ideas for own LIST. For some folks, lists make them nervous or depressed. Not me! I love lists, tho I don't consider any of them sacred writing. Not even my lists. But they help to organize my thinking, to record ideas, and to instigate brainstorming. ....So I personally don't really care if this list was not based on real data. It lists things that would be useful for short, mid, and long-range Hooey. Not an exhaustive list, certainly. But :shrug:

As for seeing a 2-wk-or-less Hooey as more probable....therefore prioritize it.... I hope everyone knows that. How many times has a member here said to a newbie {Start with a BOB/emergency bag..for car and home. Then start stocking up on what you normally eat. Then extend that from a week's worth to 2 wks...then a month to 3 months..... }

I personally believe in long-term {possibly years} crisis without necessarily a TEOTWAWKI. Definitely! As I mentioned, financial fluctuations can do that in a heart-beat. That's just the way I see it. Others don't think long-term crisis is worth the investment. :shrug:

MtRider

I do a lot of writing on technical subjects. I read my own stuff as critically as am I able. Same with other stuff I read. My point was not the usefulness of the list. Only the presumption by it's title that these were the top 100 things to first disappear in a disaster. I believe that it is purely speculation by the author. I'd have no issue if the title was "100 things to consider having before a disaster" or something like that. But as a technical writer I try hard to separate fact from opinion and alarm-bells go off when others do not. I think it would be an excellent study, however, to compare home Depot/Lowes/Walmart inventory 6 weeks before, during, and 6 weeks after Katrina.

On a side note - As someone else had mentioned, the lack of alcohol on the list surprised me. Like .22 Ammo, lighters, candles, and other conveniences, I see it as a barter system of the future. The stress of TEOTWAWKI will be a catalyst for those seeking to alter their reality, if only for a while. It's medicinal properties also cannot be ignored but the cost is much higher than denatured alcohol.

100 Items That Disappear First in a Disaster

1. Generators

(Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance, etc.)

2. Water Filters/Purifiers (Shipping delays increasing.)

3. Portable Toilets (Increasing in price every two months.)

4. Seasoned Firewood

(About $100 per cord; wood takes 6 - 12 mos. to become dried, for home uses.)

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

6. Coleman Fuel (URGENT $2.69-$3.99/gal. Impossible to stockpile too much.)

7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots

8. Hand-Can openers & hand egg beaters, whisks (Life savers!)

9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugars

10. Rice - Beans - Wheat (White rice is now $12.95 - 50# bag. Sam's Club, stock depleted often.)

11. Vegetable oil (for cooking) (Without it food burns/must be boiled, etc.)

12. Charcoal & Lighter fluid (Will become scarce suddenly.)

13. Water containers (Urgent Item to obtain. Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY)

14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)

15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)

16. Propane Cylinders

17. Michael Hyatt's Y2K Survival Guide (BEST single y2k handbook for sound advice/tips.)

18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula/ointments/aspirin, etc

20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

21. Cook stoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

22. Vitamins (Critical, due 10 Y2K-forced daily canned food diets.)

23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item.)

24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products

25. Thermal underwear (Tops and bottoms)

26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets & Wedges (also, honing oil)

27. Aluminum foil Reg. & Heavy. Duty (Great Cooking & Barter item)

28. Gasoline containers (Plastic or Metal)

29. Garbage bags (Impossible to have too many.)

30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, paper towel

31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake liquid every 3 to 4 months.)

32. Garden seeds (Non-hybrid) (A MUST)

33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit: 1(800) 835-3278

35. Tuna Fish (in oil)

36. Fire extinguishers (or.. large box of Baking soda in every room...)

37. First aid kits

38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)

39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

40. BIG DOGS (and plenty of dog food)

41. Flour, yeast & salt

42. Matches (3 box/$1 .44 at Wal-Mart: "Strike Anywhere" preferred. Boxed, wooden matches will go first.)

43. Writing paper/pads/pencils/solar calculators

44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime)

45. Work boots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

46. Flashlights/LIGHT STICKS & torches, "No.76 Dietz" Lanterns

47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (Jot down ideas, feelings, experiences: Historic times!)

48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)

49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc

50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

51. Fishing supplies/tools

52. Mosquito coils/repellent sprays/creams

53. Duct tape

54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

55. Candles

56. Laundry detergent (Liquid)

57. Backpacks & Duffle bags

58. Garden tools & supplies

59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)

62. Canning supplies (Jars/lids/wax)

63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc.

65. Sleeping bags & blankets/pillows/mats

66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

67. Board Games Cards, Dice

68. d-Con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks...)

71. Baby Wipes, oils, waterless & Anti-bacterial soap (saves a lot of water)

72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.

73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

75. Soy sauce, vinegar, bouillons/gravy/soup base

76. Reading glasses

77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

78. "Survival-in-a-Can"

79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

80. BSA - New 1998 - Boy Scout Handbook (also, Leader's Catalog)

81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)

82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

85. Lumber (all types)

86. Wagons & carts (for transport to & from open Flea markets)

87. Cots & Inflatable mattresses (for extra guests)

88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

89. Lantern Hangers

90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws, nuts & bolts

91. Teas

92. Coffee

93. Cigarettes

94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc.)

95. Paraffin wax

96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

97. Chewing gum/candies

98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs

100. Goats/chickens

Yeppers...start buying NOW. Prices will only go UP, even if they are available.

Always irritates me that these "100" lists come closer to 500 than 100.

I bet we could do better at creating a true "100 items" list if we put our heads together.  We might do better to specify the disaster, though--blizzard vs civil war.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, Ambergris said:

Always irritates me that these "100" lists come closer to 500 than 100.

I bet we could do better at creating a true "100 items" list if we put our heads together.  We might do better to specify the disaster, though--blizzard vs civil war.

I'm in for that.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.