MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ants

CoM

Has anyone ever tried this?

From Our Readers

It's always as good idea to try to peacefully coexist with insects such as ants. But if they become a problem in your yard or garden, try this tip: For only one or two hills, sprinkle instant grits on the anthill. When the ants take them to the nest, the queen and workers eat them, and the grains swell up and kill them. It will take about two days before all activity stops. Twenty years ago, we had a bad ant problem. Now, I control them in the yard and garden with instant grits.

Susan Kleine, Albertville, Alabama

http://www.almanac.com/garden/pests/ants.php

We have used grits for a long time here, it really does work, even if it just makes the remaining ants leave the vicinity and build elsewhere. Having lots of anthills here we pretty much coexist with them except for around the garden areas and clotheslines, I also use grits when potted plants become infested. Make sure you use the grits on a dry day when no rain is expected. Hope this helps!

Awwww....I want some hens! Hubby says "no", "absolutly not", "most definitly not". I'm working on him! Maybe if your chickens are kept up to roost at night, put the grits down then, ants are very quick to haul down the grits.

KallieKat,

Maybe you could win your husband over to "the chicken side" by letting him try real free range eggs. Not the so-called free range or free roaming eggs you can buy at the grocery store, but some local real eggs.

After a few weeks of good eggs he will notice the difference when you switch him back to the watery bland ones from the regular store.

Oops, back to the topic at hand... I guess I could try putting a laundry basket over the spots I sprinkle with the grits or corn meal. Maybe the chickens wouldn't be able to get it.

We have used grits for a long time here, it really does work, even if it just makes the remaining ants leave the vicinity and build elsewhere. Having lots of anthills here we pretty much coexist with them except for around the garden areas and clotheslines, I also use grits when potted plants become infested. Make sure you use the grits on a dry day when no rain is expected. Hope this helps!

On a 'dry' day? :24: I live in the NW and in the winter, all we get is rain, snow, or more rain.

Seriously though, I swear our old house was build on an ant hill. It got really bad last summer when we had some construction stir up the ground.

If grits works, I'll try it. Heaven knows Grant's & other contained ant baits aren't doing much. But...I can't find the ant hill? Can I just sprinkle it in their path?

Anyone have a good solution for mice?

On a 'dry' day? :24: I live in the NW and in the winter, all we get is rain, snow, or more rain.

Seriously though, I swear our old house was build on an ant hill. It got really bad last summer when we had some construction stir up the ground.

If grits works, I'll try it. Heaven knows Grant's & other contained ant baits aren't doing much. But...I can't find the ant hill? Can I just sprinkle it in their path?

Sprinkling grits/cornmeal in/along their path works well. That way they will easily find it and take it back to the nest. Cornmeal or grits need at least 2 weeks before you start seeing results.

As for mice..........In the fall I do my "Attic Crawl" and "Basement Stroll".

I go into the attic and spread 2 - 3 boxes of mothballs around. For the basement, I punch a bunch of holes in a sandwich size zip lock, put in a handful of mothballs and put the bags throughout the basement. The zip lock bags keep the pets from eating the mothballs and spring clean up is a lot easier. I can usually get 2 - 3 seasons out of the zip locks before they start falling apart.

The mice (and squirrels and "Creepy Crawlies") do not like the smell and usually within 2 weeks leave the area. This also works well for storage sheds, tarp covered boats, etc.

You do not want to do the mothballs in areas you will be in frequently as the odor will do a number on you (and not a good number either :) )

Oh Campy, you were the one who gave the advice about moth balls in the attic! I couldn't remember who did.

Well, well, well. Let me tell you what happened. We did get a couple of decrepit squirrelies up there and I remembered someone had said "use mothballs in the attic". DH said he would 'do the deed' and put baggies up there if I got them ready. So I did. I got 2 boxes of moth balls and put about 6 balls in a handful of bags.

I had NO IDEA napthalene was so invasive. Even when I generated the scent in organic chemistry, it wasn't this bad. I was wearing rubber gloves AND an apron and still had residue all over the place. I had to change my clothes and actually leave the house the smell was so strong. No amount of Febreeze was enough. My only way of coping was to promptly toss the offending moth balls in a bucket with a loose-fitting lid and place them in quarrantine on the back porch. Something tells me that by giving a bit of air, the smell won't be as offensive. It took almost 3 days to get the smell off the counter.

Next time, I'm doing this OUTSIDE and earlier in the year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am after ant elimination! I was sweeping the bathroom getting ready to mop... I saw an ant! she was wandering around looking for something to eat or drink I guess... it is raining outside! must be food.

Out come the ant stakes gonna nip this in the bud early on! gonna spray and sprinkle AMDRO and stop this ant invasion in my house.

the only time I poison, ants and black widow spiders!

Four cats, many glue traps, and applying expanding spray foam insulation in a can to any teeny tiny holes or gaps are the three things that work here...and we have a LOG house.

It works! (Thank goodness...)

And the glue traps haven't had anything in them for almost two years now. Brutal, but effective.

Edited by serendipity