MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 3:13-15

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Well, I had this next study just about done when my computer lost power. I messed up the charger to the laptop and have been limping along with that for a couple of days. Today, the charger finally died and I had no way to get out to get another one right away. But, You being God and all, You led me to go find an old charger, to an old laptop that doesn't work anymore. I brought that charger in, plugged it in, and while it doesn't fit tighly into the receptical, it fits good enough to power up my laptop and I'm in business. My heart feels so soft towards You with this...that even a goofy computer need is something that You notice, pay attention to, and meet the needs there. It's Your glory, Your faithfulness, but it my gratitude to You.

More importantly Father, I've been noticing something else. While I've been doing this Romans study, I've had ups and downs and have gone through many thoughts/emotions/experiences. The other day, a very dear friend called and asked if I'd like to have her share a portion of a bible study that she's doing in the Psalms at her church with the woman. I said yes, but little did I realize when I spoke that yes, how powerful her Psalms study would be to minister to me, while I'm doing this Romans study. Only You could know, how those two studies would dovetail together...strengthening me, answering questions I have, placing a balm over my heart as I look into these verses in Romans. So thank You also for that Father God...my heart is constantly amazed as how You pay attention to the smallest detail and weave them together with gentleness and strength.

You really are amazing Father...I don't mean that to sound like mere words because I really feel that way in my heart. It's so hard sometimes to try to comprehend Your greatness with my human mind because I intuitively know You are so much greater than what I can invision. So, I guess Father, that every day has the potential to be an exciting day with You...full of surprises as You reveal Your plans as they unfold.

I just love You so much. You know my heart, You see everything that is in there, and I know that the fullness of love that I'm feeling right now, is directed right at You.

I'd like to kinda crawl up into Your lap with my bible and have You show me some of the beautiful things You have layed out in today's study.

Bless this study Holy Spirit...may You move with Your annointing over these words that I type.

In Jesus Name I pray,

13. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the venom of asps it under their lips:

14. Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15. Their feet are swift to shed blood;

The rvbv writes about verse 13: "Next, God speaks as the all-wise, holy Physician, in diagnosis: Their throat is an open sepulchre. Doctors always insist first on looking down our throats: and we all know that the throat and tongue denote the state of health. There could be nothing more horrible than what we have here: death, decay, moral stench, and that not hidden, but open! Unhidden, unashamed putridity: - thus a holy God describes the throat of every one of us by nature! As Bishop Howe says: "Emitting the noisome exhalations of a putrid heart." We must remember we are here seeing man through God's all-holy eyes.

With their tongues they have been using deceit [since man's fall]. The verb is in the imperfect tense, which denotes the habitual practice of the human race. This includes your tongue and mine, reader. But the case is still worse; for the Physician continues:

The venom of asps is under their lips: The fangs of a deadly serpent lie, ordinarily, folded back in its upper jaw., but when it throws up its head to strike, those hollow fangs drop down, and when the serpent bites, the fangs press a sack of deadly poison hidden "under its lips," at the root, thus injecting the venom into the wound. You and I were born with moral poison-sacks like this. And how people do claim the right to strike others with their venom-words! to use their snake-fangs!

Verse 14: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness (Ps. 10:7): To prove this, you need only take your stand upon any street, and strike upon the mouth a passerby. As well strike a hornets' nest! How men do curse others! Bitterness is ever ready! What fearful folly for a race speaking thus to imagine that by "being baptized," and "joining the church" they are ready to "go to heaven," and be in the holy company on high with the meek and lowly Son of God and the holy angels, - and all this without a thought of being forgiven, washed, and born again!

Verse 15: Their feet are swift to shed blood (Isa. 59:7): I saw a child under two years raise its puny fist against another, crying, "I'll kill 'oo!" Murder is so common, now, that new hideous expressions are invented: "I'll get him"; "Bump him off"; "Put him on the spot"; "Take him for a ride"; or, as the awful Communistic phrase puts it, "Liquidate him." When the restraining grace of God is withdrawn, it will be given to the Red Horse Sitter "to take peace from the earth, and that they should slay one another" (Rev. 6:4). Men's feet, like tigers', are ready and swift for blood-shedding...

Heavenly Father,

As I do these studies, and I read Your Word, and this reference on Romans, I'm continually surprised at the layers I have in me, that I didn't even notice...I couldn't help but see that there are times when I fall prey to such behavior. I'm a little surprised at how there are times where I 'mask' things, subconsciously trying to put them in a light that acts as a decoy. The truth however, is found in the heart, where the motivation of whatever action/reaction I have, stems from. And when I get quiet and examine those roots in the heart, I'm not always happy with what I see. That reminds me of something I was telling a girlfriend the other day...about how I felt like I was a tree with all this neat stuff on my branches. I shared with her how it felt like You have been taking Your holy shovel and digging up the dirt around my roots. At times You are exposing a huge root that isn't so pretty...it's diseased and mangled and You say it must come off. At times, I say, "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...look at my fruit, look at my branches! Cover that root back up with my dirt (thank You so not very much please), I don't wanna hurt today undergoing spiritual surgery once again." But You are teaching me how to look deeper into my heart, my root, so I say Yes Lord...whatever You need to do, please do. I'd rather be pruned and eventually grow more stable, fuller, and large, than to stay like this, risking that diseased root eventually destroying my tree.

Now, I mean what I just said up there Father, but at the same time the thought crossed my mind, "I can't believe I just said that...I mean, I MEAN it, but where the heck did that come from????" lolol Your Spirit is so precious Father, and I love you.

It's been a busy morning Father...I've been trying to get this study done for 5 hours and have had multple interruptions, so I'm grateful for this time I've spent in Your Word. Be with me, and us, the rest of this day, and may Your perfect will be done.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Now, I mean what I just said up there Father, but at the same time the thought crossed my mind, "I can't believe I just said that...I mean, I MEAN it, but where the heck did that come from????" lolol Your Spirit is so precious Father, and I love you.

:laughkick: I laughed hard at that one. It's so true. How does honest ...but oh-so-scary authorizations to HIM blurt outta our mouths [& hearts] sometimes. They are in a glorious moment of faith and being in sync with Him. A moment in which we trust Him even for this...or that. They are wonderful....and scary. But He will not let our trusting statements go awry. He is faithful to our trust. His wisdom will be up to the task that we allow Him to begin.

And reading about the tree analogy....reminded me of Nebuchadnezzar's dream of the great tree. Daniel 4:14 He called in a loud voice: "Cut down the tree and trim off it's branches; strip off it's leaves and scatter its fruit." ...it's quite a story.

MtRider

Rom 3:13 "Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave. Their speech is filled with lies." "The poison of a deadly snake drips from their lips."[fn5]

Rom 3:14 "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness."[fn6]

Rom 3:15 "They are quick to commit murder.

I just had to check the NLT version. These scriptures are so timely, and right before I came and read the study we were in the chat room talking about deception and how it can be a well practiced skill, almost an art...for lack of a better word.

I actually mentioned Eve and how she should have never listened to a word that old serpent even said. Our enemy is the chief of all deception, he can present things in a manner that appears so right, so sensible and so believable. He also gives that ability to those who do their bidding.

We need to be careful with whom we seek counsel and who we allow into our minds with the influence of words.

Edited by Stephanie
typo
But He will not let our trusting statements go awry. He is faithful to our trust. His wisdom will be up to the task that we allow Him to begin.

MtRider

Are you trying to say that He's going to hold me to what I said? lolol