MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
sassenach

Alternatives to heat and cooking inside an apartment when the lights go out.

Due to the Ice storms and now windstorms and lots of people out of power for very long periods, I was glad to get my single burner coleman stove. I have a table I can set it safely on a baking pan on, and I need to get a case or propane cannisters, which I will have to store in my bedroom on a shelf. I wish I had a place outside, but there is nothing out there. Being in an apartment with not even a carport and storage place outside makes it difficult. Propane cannisters and carbon monoxide alarm are next month.

Everything except the sewer/which is a septic system of ancient proportions, depends on electricity here, even the thermostat for the boilers which heat the building I live in.

So, I had to do something that didn't involve kerosene because of HUD making that illegal. Because of HUD assistance with housing, I have money to do preps with each month! I do not want to bite the hand that feeds me!

I want to get one of those LIL Buddy heaters which use the cannisters of propane too, sometime this year.

I have to budget these things into my disability budget, but my prep gear is coming along now.

LOL, trying to can on a small apartment stove is another story, but I am figuring out how to work with the stove.

I can also use this single burner stove with camping or BOB needs. It is not for canning. I do that on the regular stove in the kitchen.

So it is a duo-purpose prep item.

But I figured this was a red-flag item to have on hand due to not being able to heat or cook if the power goes off here for a long time.

Short term back up to the single burner is sterno and folding stove but that stuff is outrageously high in price for what one gets.

The other thing, is now that I can can stuff , I am quickly preparing most of my monthly meat purchases and beans into canned items for ready to eat stuff, and ease of preparation when its been a long day! My apartment refrigerator is small and the freezer is too small, so learning to can meats is a great thing to be able to do!

If you have other ideas for heat and cooking in an apartment or mobile home situation that is reliant on electricity , please share!

Edited by arby

Hey Arby,

I don't have much to add, but I'd second the buddy heater. I inherited one last summer, and now just need to stock up on propane. I think it would be a necessity if the electricity went out, and so I feel a bit better knowing I have one.

Short term back up to the single burner is sterno and folding stove but that stuff is outrageously high in price for what one gets.

Arby, you might see if there is a resturant supply near you. Here I can get a can of Sterno for $1.09 and 87 cents for an off brand. We cooked on this stuff for 5 days when our power was out. It worked very well and I cooked all kinds of things in a small pot. We took a rack from the oven and put brinks under it to raise it up enough. Doing that allowed me to put 2 sterno's under a larger pot, we fried potaoes and cooked pancakes and heated lots of soup.

I have a folding stove and some sterno. Its really expensive this far north. I doubt the few restaurants around here use anything but propane anyway.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.