MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sheeple in Denial

Here is an example of the lack of common sense in this country...

We have relatives who lived in an area that had widespread electric blackouts for about a week. During that time these relatives were visiting us. They were talking about buying a generator when they got back, to run the lights and tv. (Yes, the TV.) We had to remind them that the important things were running the water pump, and the fridge--since they also wanted to buy kerosene heaters to heat the house when they got home.

We told them to buy the heaters, generator, and fuel here, because it wouldn't be available back home. It took some convincing. They seemed to think that after five days of blackout, the stores would still be open and filled with everything they need. *sigh*

So they bought kerosene heaters, and a generator...a gasoline one. We recommended they take it back and get a diesel, because it would be more efficient, and it would be safer to store a larger amount of fuel than for gasoline. They insisted they didn't want to spend the extra money, and wouldn't need much gas, just the 5 gallon container they keep for the lawn mower. *sigh* We tried in vain to get them to understand that their model would use that amount of gas up in less than a day, according to what the salesman told them, and the blackout had already lasted five days. Even if this blackout ended soon, what would happen the next time? What good would a generator be during a 3-7 day blackout, with only one day's worth of gas? Their answer was "we'll buy more". We reminded them that gas stations run on electricity. They ignored us.

We also suggested they buy kerosene and gasoline containers here, then stop somewhere shortly before they got to their town, so they could buy fuel in an area that still had electricity. They insisted the stores back home would still have containers (yeah, right) and that they could fill them at home. They would not listen to us at all. *sigh*

Fortunately for them, by the time they made it home, the electricity was back on. So what did they do? That's right, they returned the generator. Because after all, if a blackout happens again, they can just run to the store and buy one, right? Even though the all the stores would have no electricity to run their computer systems and cash registers, which they are helpless without, nowadays. And even though everyone and their brother will have the exact same idea that they have. And even though you can only find generators at a few types of stores, like Home Depot, and that they don't tend to carry very many. Sounds like a plan, right?

*sigh*

Am I the only one who can't seem to get over how many people in this country are so brainwashed by the tv that they lack basic thinking skills and common sense? They all have this attitude of "well, everything will be all right, because it always has been, so it has to be." I know we live a pretty cushy existence in our country, but it's not like they never experience suffering in their lives. How can they be that dumb? Arrrrgh!!!!! It's one thing for them to never have the thought of preparing occur to them...but once reality is pointed out to them, it's like they stick their fingers in their ears and sing "la la la, we can't hear you, la la la".

(Now where is the darn "banging into a brick wall" emoticon....?)

Edited by philomena

The whole reason we began ramping up our preps this last year is because we were without power for three days last January. We couldn't find a generator or heaters anywhere. The food in our freezers was thawing.

Add to that, the fact that the global economy started falling, we really kicked into high gear.

We still have a long way to go, and probably a short time to get there, but we are pressing on.

I am not counting on the government stepping in to help us at the last minute, or even friends and family. This is something we have to do ourselves.

No sheep here!!

Well, I would love to have one in the freezer!

It's totally amazing how short sighted and non-prepared people are. When things get tough again, you know where they'll be headed right? Be prepared for them to come 'visiting' again....

Our food "store" is down in the basement.

The pantry upstairs is kept bare. Mostly ketchup, olives and some jams. We don't keep the good stuff there. I don't even bother closing the door much. Let everyone see what we don't have.

It gives the illusion that we too are sheep. Bah!!

Let them come calling. Oh, I do need to close the mean vicious dog up so he doesn't jump on you... I'll put him in the basement. You'll be okay as long as you don't go down there!! :lol:

We are gradually filling a room with buckets, and unfortunately that's no secret. But neither are the contents: White rice, more white rice, more white rice, pinto beans, black eyed peas, lima beans, pinto beans, black beans, lentils, mixed beans, kernels of corn and kernels of wheat, and hey! More white rice! There's spaghetti too, a little bit. Somewhere. Do you like naked noodles?

We figure any raiders will go after the canned-food storers first, and maybe get shot by one of them. If anyone comes here looking for beans, they will probably be handed a plate. If they're one of the people who's been free with the venison, the home-made jellies, the shovel-work, or the fresh-caught fish, that might be the night the beans will be fancied up with salt, mustard, brown sugar, or even chopped onions. Otherwise...beans. Or rice. We figure the zombies will probably keep shambling on, seeking softer food and beer elsewhere. We don't have a basement. Water table's too high. We do have smaller buckets, but the're behind the beans. Or maybe under the rice. Here, have a plate.

Our food "store" is down in the basement.

The pantry upstairs is kept bare. Mostly ketchup, olives and some jams. We don't keep the good stuff there. I don't even bother closing the door much. Let everyone see what we don't have.

It gives the illusion that we too are sheep. Bah!!

Let them come calling. Oh, I do need to close the mean vicious dog up so he doesn't jump on you... I'll put him in the basement. You'll be okay as long as you don't go down there!! :lol:

I really need a dog and a basement, I have a friend who thought it was okay to nosy through all my kitchen cabinets, so when I visited them I sat on the kitchen floor and emptied there base cabinets out, when her husband enquired what I was doing I said, I was looking to see how clean her cupboards where seeing how she thought it was perfectly okay to rifle through mine making comments, they rarely visit these days and when they do her husband tells her not to be rude and to stay out of things that are non of her buisness.

Edited by ro2935
I really need a dog and a basement, I have a friend who thought it was okay to nosy through all my kitchen cabinets, so when I visited them I sat on the kitchen floor and emptied there base cabinets out, when her husband enquired what I was doing I said, I was looking to see how clean her cupboards where seeing how she thought it was perfectly okay to rifle through mine making comments, they rarely visit these days and when they do her husband tells her not to be rude and to stay out of things that are none of her buisness.

RO2935,

You crack me up!

I've had one relative in particular, go through my kitchen one day (I was out of town) and clean my kitchen for me. It took me about 6 months to put everything back. She actually MOVED cupboard items and drawer contents. I did thank her for mopping the floor, but was peeved that she re-organized the kitchen.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Philomena,

Back to the original thread, I share your frustration on a number of levels. Constantly, we are asked for our opinion and we give it...only to have it disregarded 98% of the time. SO, now we just listen and say, "Well, explore all the options and make the best choice you can." This way, it absolves us from involvement and from someone saying "I didn't like your opinion." So far, it's worked out well.

However...it doesn't help much with the "idiot factor" of them making bad or really poor choices.... :shakinghead:

Well keep in mind that I can be a little evil at times but.... I have gone to degrading in a sense. My dearly beloved mother is a sheeple. She is always talking to me about stuff but doesn't want to listen to my suggestions. They are putting a trailer on our property in the next couple of weeks. When she looked at it ($2900 for a small older trailer that needs some remodeling but in overall decent condition) she talked about it needing work and maybe it'd be better to just buy a used one from a dealership, blah blah. So I told her "Well if something happens and you can't afford the note then you'll have no house, ANY trailer is going to be messed up in the move and at least this one will be paid for. You could always let the kids have it when they go to college and buy something newer next yr or maybe we'd buy it from you later. But do whatever you think is best." Ha she did what I suggested because I made a good case and made it look like this was the best option regardless of her arguments.

Same thing with getting a car... she wants vehicle for my brother. (her and sis already have one plus the stang for bubba that is broke down) She wants a newer one though! *faint* I think dh's uncle would trade one of his old trucks for the stang b/c he wants it for his daughter. I think I talked mom into it with "Well you'd have a truck for now, you'll get the broke down car off your hands and it won't cost you anything, and of course you can sell it in a year to get something newer. Just thought I'd tell you about it. You'll figure something out." Ha ha she fell for it again. Now I have to talk to the uncle to get her the truck. See... sheeple can be trained. :24:

If Mark Twain was alive to read this thread he would have said to the original poster, his famous quote: "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

Oh well, some folks just have trouble believing and understanding what they have not experienced yet.

Heh, if John Wayne was alive we'd hear him say again, "Life is tough, but it is tougher if you are stupid."

Ro wrote:

"I really need a dog and a basement, I have a friend who thought it was okay to nosy through all my kitchen cabinets, so when I visited them I sat on the kitchen floor and emptied there base cabinets out, when her husband enquired what I was doing I said, I was looking to see how clean her cupboards where seeing how she thought it was perfectly okay to rifle through mine making comments, they rarely visit these days and when they do her husband tells her not to be rude and to stay out of things that are non of her buisness."

Oh my.

You just described my sister in law to a T. The woman drives me insane. One of these days I will have to do something like this back to her. She really is out of control.

Good for you girl.

You know, if family or friends are adults they really are not your responsibility. If you tried to help them and they flat will not get with it, maybe let them suffer the consequences of their own actions next time. You should not be the ones to suffer for their bad choices, especially if you already tried to help and show them what they need to do.

I don't even bother with my sister anymore. She doesn't even keep a week's worth of food on hand.

My mom, she thinks I'm a little crazy. But she often heeds some of my advice. She keeps in extra can goods and has a kerosene heater and some kerosene in their shed.

My neighbors...young couple, young kids. I've been slowly trying to figure them out and where they stand. She did mention that she likes to keep extra food in the house because we live so far away from the grocery store. So that's a good start. I'm really hoping that she is like minded because we have grown to love their little ones and I would never see them hungry or in need.

I do keep them in the back of my mind when making some preps.

Kimba

Ro: ROFL!!!

Fortunately I don't have to worry about anyone coming to sponge off of us. There are a lot of relatives much closer and that they like a lot more, for them to sponge off of. Plus, these relatives hate to spend money (hence, returning the generator, and refusing to choose a better one for a bit more), so even if it made sense for them to travel to stay with us, for their own well-being, they wouldn't do it.

I'm very glad not to feel responsible for anyone in our families. I would have a hard time not feeling resentful if relatives (many of whom have said very unkind things about us) showed up at our door to take food out of our kids' mouths, when they treated us like nutballs for suggesting they prepare, and refused to prepare on their own in spite of the fact that they have way more money than us. I guess if I was a more humble person, I wouldn't resent it.

You know, if family or friends are adults they really are not your responsibility. If you tried to help them and they flat will not get with it, maybe let them suffer the consequences of their own actions next time. You should not be the ones to suffer for their bad choices, especially if you already tried to help and show them what they need to do.

CGA, would you also apply that to parents? I'm going through a difficult time right now with a parent, and I need some validation. We're talking a history of poor decision-making and so on.

I should add that these relatives have helped us out on many occasions. I don't want to make it sound like they aren't welcome here, or anything, or that they're the type to sponge, because they're not. I am just so frustrated that they (and others in our family) act like we're weirdos when we suggest they prepare...and then when a friend or other relative suggests it, they say "well, maybe that's not such a bad idea." Of course, they don't act on it, but they respect the suggestion coming from other people....never from us.

(By the way, where are all the special smileys? Someone put in the dead horse emoticon, but I don't see it in the smiley menus.)

I made my brother go to the surplus store with me today. He asked why I needed to go. So I told him I needed to add a couple of things to my bob. He asked what that was. I told him and he rolled his eyes. But he did come with me and hold the basket while I loaded it up. I told him he should have one made up too. He said why. So I went through shtf stuff with him. He just stared at me like I was going crazy. I told him he should at least think about it and look up bob on the internet. He said he would. There is hope... :sheeple:

CGA, would you also apply that to parents? I'm going through a difficult time right now with a parent, and I need some validation. We're talking a history of poor decision-making and so on.

Yes, and no. If your parent is elderly and unable to care for himself/herself, you do have a responsibility.

If you need someone to discuss this with, you can PM me anytime.

We don't have any family that would be calling on us. Not that we don't have family, just none that we would welcome in a shtf senario or who would even think about coming to us for help. The one sister that I am semi-close with is a total sheeple. *But*, she thinks that she and her dh and dd have the world by the tail and I know she feels sorry for us because - to her way of thinking - we live poor. They are very much keep up with the Joneses types and she is one that likes to throw the "h word" (hoard) around quite freely if she ever sees someone stocking up. She compares her lifestyle with ours and well *of course* they must be doing something right and us doing something wrong because we don't have (or want or need) all the bells and whistles. In her mind that means she is so filled with wisdom about life and we are poor clueless people.

But the difference is, now that the economy has tanked and life will never be what it once was - we know how to live poor. We know how to survive. We never put stock in all the bells and whistles of life so we don't feel deprived now that they are gone. We are sitting in a paid off house with the pantry stocked. Even though work and money is scarce right now, we are not close to panic mode. I wonder if she can say the same...

Here's a bit from my blog that I posted about just this very thing, last year. I can't resist passing it again here...maybe it will be of some help. Everyone has pet sheep!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

How To Convince Others To Prepare For Disasters and Other Hard Times

There are many intelligent people in this world who are still finding the idea of pandemics, crippling terrorist events, economic collapse, or any other heavy-duty scenario a mite hard to bite into...'tis so incredibly and wildly horrific! Who can blame them?

Some people's "tipping points" are built differently. If they are fortunate, they have a caring and knowledgeable friend or relative who is willing to nudge and point, and if needed, push, shove and show what can and should be done with what resources they have.

To some people, 'PREP' is just another four letter word. If ya just spell it a little differently, it might appeal to those folks a bit more.

There's Social Security and...there's grocery security!!!

Use buzz words like "insurance you can eat", or a "hedge against inflation", or "money in the pantry", or something like that...

Next week, or maybe next month, some might feel differently about accepting (and preparing for) the very real possibility of the really "scary" kind of scenarios.

Some will never wake up until TSHTF (the stuff hits the fan) ...and they will likely be one of your biggest problems. Count on it.

Heh. I'm preparing for that eventuality now.

I have recipes for Cricket Jambalaya and Grasshopper Gumbo, and I am not afraid to use them. My family and friends know this, and that is a good thing. The mental imagery of eating these things in a SHTF situation helps to ensure that I won't be overrun with too many unprepared and empty-handed guests, in the event a severe and widespread event has them 'fleeing to the hills'.

Edited by PureCajunSunshine

by CGA

I agree totally. But......under some circumstances it takes FAR FAR FAR more work to keep from having their consequences fall upon you than it would to just enable them. This is still a bad plan but it DOES make it tempting to just throw up your hands and succumb. Sometimes a move across the country is the only answer............. Just sayin'............... :wave: bye bye

MtRider [ BTDT :shrug: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I had this same thought the other day when my neighbor called (during a tornado warning!) to ask if her kids could come over for a couple of hours to play! The kids and I have already bugged out to the basement, and I am telling her, "Lucy, (name has been changed to protect the guilty, lol) are you aware that we are under a tornado warning? The wind is blowing at 60 mph." She said, "Well, Ricky called a little while ago to tell me that we were under storm warnings, but I did not think it was going to be bad." I ended up politely telling her that we would have to have the kids come over and play another time because we were going to box ourselves in.

I love this family and her children are welcome at my house anytime ~ except during tornado warnings, but I came away from that conversation it total disbelief. I talked with Lucy later, and she told me that she sent the kids to the basement, but she stayed upstairs and talked on the phone!!!! :wacko: