MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 3:23-24

Darlene

Yesterday, I talked to my dad in the morning. I hadn't talked to him much the past couple of months, which is my fault, but sometimes I just get into a mode where I wanna hunker down, which is what I have been doing. Towards the end of the conversation, my dad was telling me about a song he had heard on one of the gospel channels the other night. He said that as he began to listen to the song, he could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit fill the room to the point where he could do nothing more than lift his arms up in worship to the Lord. He ordered me (do daddy's ever change? lol), to go find the song on the net and listen to it.

Because I love my daddy, I obeyed and found the song. I must have listened to it 30 times yesterday, because as I began to listen, I felt all the garbage that had seemed to be clinging to me and dragging me down, begin to fall away.

My eyes these past few weeks have been drawn to earthly things. Issues going on in this world, other people who are feeling hopeless and really struggling...my own sporatic feelings of feeling restless and discontent. I've just been struggling lately (nothing catastrophic), and it wasn't getting any better, it was slowly getting worse.

So, as I listened to that song, and heard the truth it was stating, I was blown away by the power of just knowing and agreeing with the chorus in that song..."I know MY (our) Redeemer lives". I know He lives, I believe He lives, and just the fact that He really does live, is powerful. I found myself drawn to pondering the fact that Jesus lives and the more I focused on the power of that statement, the less I felt bound by the cares of this world. Trying to put this into words is woefully inadequate because it was a spiritual thing...a spiritual thing that felt as if I was being washed and cleansed, the burdens were lifted, the confusion didn't matter, my restlessness and discontent were inconsequential when compared to the fact that my Redeemer lives. That is the only thing that is important...that's where the hope lies, the power, and the truth are contained.

I took the day yesterday, to just rest in that spot. Nothing in life, no issue, no 'whatever' could compare to the fact that I know my Redeemer lives.

So anyway, here's a link to the song. Perhaps there might be someone else who might be blessed like I was.

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for being God. Thank You for being all that You say You are, and more. Thank You for saving me...I sure don't know understand why, but thank You.

I just can't live in this world without You. So, I ask that You would pour out Your Spirit over my life, to guide and lead me into a closer relationship with You. I submit and offer all that I am, without condition or reservation...all that You created and destined me for, at the foot of Your holy throne, to do with as You will.

That's all I can do Father...submit my will to Yours. You will do the rest.

Teach me Father, help me. As each day goes by I find that I need more of You. So, I offer myself, as a reward for the price that Christ paid for me, to be used by You, to bring You, and You alone, the glory You deserve.

You are my Heavenly Father and my heart just aches with love for You...need for You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

23. For all sinned and are falling short of the glory of God.

24. Being declared righteous giftwise by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Watchman Nee comments on verse 23, "God's glory is God expressed. Whenever God is expressed, His glory is seen. Man was made by God in His image that man might express Him for His glory. But man has sinned and has contradicted the holiness and righteousness of God. Instead of expressing God, man expresses sin and his sinful self. Hence, man falls short of God's glory. This falling short of God's glory and expression is sin. Sinners are not only under the requirements of God's holiness and righteousness but also under the demand of God's glory. All have offended God's holy being and have broken God's righteous law, and all are short of God's glory. Therefore, all are under God's condemnation."

In verse 23, the rvbv writes, "for all sinned and are falling short of the glory of God - Note the difference in the tenses: "all sinned" is in the past tense, while "falling short" of God's glory is stated in the present tense. When Adam had once sinned, in Eden, he continually fell short, outside of Eden, as did all his race, by him and after him.

I sure am aware of how I consistantly fall short.

While it is true, as both the old Version and the Revised translate, that "all have sinned"; yet I am more and more persuaded that inasmuch as the Spirit of God uses in verse 23 the same Greek word and tense as in Chapter 5:12, hemarton: that is, "all sinned" (aorist, not perfect, tense), God is looking back even here at Adam's federal headship involving us all. He looks at the race as fallen and lost and gone, in their federal head; and then as individually continuing in sins.

As a natural consequence, all that race "are falling short" of His glory. This "falling short" may mean (1 ) to fail to earn God's holy approbation (compare John 12:43); or (2 ) to come short, because of the loss of all spiritual strength through sin (Rom. 5:6), of that estate God prescribed for and must demand of man; or (3 ) guilty inability to stand before Him or in His glorious holy presence. Probably all these and more are included in the thought. We know that those now justified by fainth in Christ "rejoice in hope of the glory of God," - meaning that state of being glorified together with Christ, which is the high, heavenly hope of the Christian. It is in and through Christ alone that sinners ruined in Adam, and daily falling short of the glory of God, find redemption from sin's guilt and deliverance from its power.

How sad and awful, then, man's condition! Suppose I should say, for example, to a New York audience, "Let us all go down to the Battery and jump across to England." Some vigorous young man might jump over twenty feet, but he would "fall short" of England. And some little old lady might not jump one foot. But all would "fall short" of the coast of England. And, for that matter, the one who leaped the farthest would be in the deepest water! Paul, the chief of sinners, leaped to the farthest distance of self-righteousness, only to cry, "Wretched man that I am!" and to find that he must put his faith only in Christ!

We now come to the greatest single verse in the entire Bible on the manner of justification by faith: We entreat you, study this verse. We have seen many a soul, upon understanding it, coming into peace.

Watchman Nee comments on verse 24: "Justification is God's action whereby He approves people according to His standard of righteousness. God can do this on the basis of the redemption of Christ.

Since Christ has paid the price for our sins and in His redemption has fulfilled all God's requirements on us, God, because He is just, must justify us freely. Such justification is by the grace of God, not by our works.

To redeem is to purchase back at a cost. We originally belonged to God but became lost through sin. The requirements of God's holiness, righteousness, and glory were so great upon us that it was impossible for us to fulfill them. However, God paid the price for us through Christ, repossessing us at a tremendous cost. Christ died on the cross to redeem us (Gal. 3:13, Titus 2:14, I Pet. 2:24, 3:18); His blood obtained eternal redemption for us (I Pet. 1:18-19)."

Verse 24: Being declared righteous giftwise by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus - God having brought the whole world into His court-room and pronounced them guilt (vs. 19), - "under sin", now exhibits Himself in absolute sovereign grace towards the guilty!

Being declared [or accounted] righteous - Justification, or accounting righteous, is God's reckoning to one who believes the whole work and effect before Him of the perfect redemption of Christ. The word never means to make one righteous, or holy; but to account one righteous. Justification is not a change wrought by God in us, but a change of our relation to God."

I like how he stated that..."Justification is not a change wrought by God in us, but a change of our relation to God".

"Declared righteous giftwise - The Greek word dorean means, for nothing, gratuitously, giftwise, as a free gift. Paul for example, uses the same word in reminding the Corinthians of his labors to make the gospel "without charge." "Freely [dorean] ye received, freely give," said the Lord to the twelve (Matt. 10:8). "I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely" (dorean), - for nothing (Rev. 21:6): and it occurs in almost the very last verse of the Bible: "Let him take of the water of life freely" (Rev. 22:17). Perhaps the most striking use of this word, dorean, is by our Lord: "They hated me without-a-cause" (dorean) (John 15:25). The cause of the hatred was in them, not in Christ. Turning this about: the cause of our justification is in God, not in us. We are justified dorean - freely, gratis, gratuitously, giftwise, without a cause in us! This great fact should deliver just now some reader who has been looking within, to his spiritual state, or feelings, or prayers, as a ground of peace.

By His grace - We get our word "charity" from the Greek word translated "grace" here (charis). True, our word "charity" has been narrowed down in our poor thought and speech to handing out a dole to the needy. But as used by God, this word grace (charis), means the going forth in boundless oceans, according to Himself, of His mighty love, who "so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son." The grace of God is infinite love operating by an infinite means, - the sacrifice of Christ; and in infinite freedom, unhindered, now, by the temporary restrictions of the Law.

Through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus - Remember that everything connected with God's salvation is glad in bestowment, infinite in extent, and unchangeable in character. Christ's atoning work was the procuring cause of all eternal benefit to us. Concerning the Greek word translated "redemption" here (apolutrosis) Thayer says: "Everywhere in the New Testament this word is used to denote deliverance effected through the death of Christ from the retributive wrath of a holy God and the merited penalty of sin."

The effect of redemption is shown in Ephesians 1:7: "In whom we have our redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our transpasses." Otherwise we were unpardoned and exposed to Divine wrath for ever. Compare Colossians 1:14: "In whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins"; as also Hebrews 9:15: "A death having taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first convenant." Here Thayer's interpretation of this word "redemption" is again excellent: "Deliverance from the penalty of transgressions effective through their expiation."

Before you leave verse 24, apply it to yourself, if you are a believer. Say of yourself: "God has declared me righteous without any cause in me, by His grace, through the redemption from sin's penalty that is in Christ Jesus." It is the bold, believing use for ourselves of the Scripture we learn, that God desires; and not merely knowledge of Scripture."

Yanno, he's right. There is a huge difference memorizing verse 24 vs. putting myself in there..."God has declared me, Darlene, righteous without any cause in me, by His grace, through the redemption from sin's penalty that is in Christ Jesus." I can't even get 3 words past my name without welling up with tears, because He means ME and He means YOU. This isn't anything I've thought to do very often...to specifically put myself in directly in front of these scriptures, no matter what they're saying at the moment...I guess I've done it more peripherally..."all have sinned" instead of "Darlene has sinned and fallen short..." It's adding a powerful depth at the moment.

Heavenly Father,

I have been feeling incredibly inadequate (probably because I am), in sharing Your Word. I already know that there's nothing that *I* can say or share, but by the power of Your Holy Spirit, You can accomplish whatever Your perfect will is. So Father, I just cry out to You for help...I ask that You would annoint the words that I write. I ask that You would fill me with Your Holy Spirit, to guide me and to write and/or say the things You would have me say.

As each verse goes by, I begin to feel more and more fearful...knowing that we're heading into the meat of who we are in Christ, and it scares me. This area isn't something I totally "get" yet, so it makes me feel extremely incompetent to tackle it. If I was just doing this all alone, it would be much easier, cause it would then be a "just You and me, Lord". But trying to share this in the public is not feeling fun, it's feeling skerry. So, please help Father. Everyone is so sweet, patient and kind with my ramblings, so it's not them, it's me.

Be with me, and us today Father.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Darlene,

Two questions.

What was the name of the song, maybe we can find it ourselves since the link doesn't work. Was it "My Redeemer Lives" by Rebecca St. James? or Nicole C. Mullins? If so, I absolutley love that song!

What is this "rvbv" that you refer to now and then in the study? Some how I've missed what it stands for. I assumed it was a translation, but I'm not sure and wanted to verify.

Yeah, the link was to Nicole's song, I know my Redeemer lives. I don't know why the link went bad.

The rvbv stands for "Romans, Verse by Verse" by William Newell. He was connected with Moody Bible Institute.

The link says "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG" For some reason that statement struck me as funny. I don't know why. But I laughed! I immediately thought "God holds the ultimate copyright of all and praise God of me (us)!!"

So you see, a message and testimony was given from even a broken link. (((Darlene)))

Here's the words to the song and another link to try. Keep listening, the second song is "Let it Rain".

http://www.imeem.com/people/jw7GFh/music/r...redeemer-lives/

Who taught the sun where to stand in the morning?

and Who told the ocean you can only come this far?

and Who showed the moon where to hide 'til evening?

Whose words alone can catch a falling star?

well i know my Redeemer lives

i know my Redeemer lives

all of creation testifies

this life within me cries

i know my Redeemer lives

the very same God that spins things in orbit

runs to the weary, the worn and the weak

and the same gentle hands that hold me when im broken

they conquered death to bring me victory

now i know my Redeemer lives

i know my Redeemer lives

let all creation testify