MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today?

Rezgirl

FYI: One, 1lb bag of frozen peas and/or lima beans equal 1 cup of dried each.

Thanks for this! Good to know!

Kimba

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the breakdown on the beans.

I have a question, I cut peaches last fall and put them in the freezer. I'm think I might be better off dehydrating them. I didn't flash freeze so they are lumped together. If I let them thaw enough to pull them apart would they be alright to use?

Just started 3 trays of strawberries and 1 tray of frozen blueberries I had from when they were in season last year. I have a shelf empty in my freezer door yay!

I just vacuum packed my peas and have 7 trays of banana chips going right now. Ok. I am hooked now. I wish I had two dehydrators.... :wub: Hopefully I wil get the apples and strawberries next. Yay!

I have a question, I cut peaches last fall and put them in the freezer. I'm think I might be better off dehydrating them. I didn't flash freeze so they are lumped together. If I let them thaw enough to pull them apart would they be alright to use?
Thawing to separate would be no problem and recommended in order to get rid of a lot of the juice that may be present. Hopefully they are not freezer burned or your ultimate taste will be compromised.
I have a question,

Ok, I think my old timers just kicked in ;) Do I dip strawberries? I know I dip apples but the other I forgot. Are all berries just cut up and dried?

Thanks

I happen to have my book right here. Strawberries don't need to be treated. It says to dry at 115 for 12-18 hours. Also suggests turning after 4 hours and rotating the trays after 8 hours.

[

I happen to have my book right here. Strawberries don't need to be treated. It says to dry at 115 for 12-18 hours. Also suggests turning after 4 hours and rotating the trays after 8 hours.

Thanks, Lynn

When you get to a certain age you need to write things down or you forget where you started! I appreciate it. I was going to get started on the strawberries and my mind went blank! :blink: But, I knew you would give me a quick and true answer... :happy0203:

Thanks, Lynn

When you get to a certain age you need to write things down or you forget where you started! I appreciate it. I was going to get started on the strawberries and my mind went blank! :blink: But, I knew you would give me a quick and true answer... :happy0203:

LOL I have a bad enough memory now, which is why I keep a reference handy...I don't want to think about how it'll be years from now!

I have frozen peas and a can of corn drying now. Wanted to make something for samples to class next week. We are teaching on dehydration. I don't want to spend a bunch of time this week drying, so decided to make it easy.

I am busy baking today. Made oatmeal choc. chip muffins, zucchin bread, and some hamburger buns. The house smells wonderful !

I have frozen peas and a can of corn drying now.

Ok, more questions. I've been reading...can be dangerous. <_<

If dried fruit lasts approximately 1 year and dried vegetables even less. Then it would seem freezing is the best thing. Can you enlighten me. I know I will have to do something with the excess garden veggies. So, I plan on dehydrating them.

So, If I am understanding correctly, the dehydrated items should be consumed prior to getting into the can goods that are labeled to last for two years. Am I correct? Ladies what have you done and how long does the dehydrated items you have last?

Ok, more questions. I've been reading...can be dangerous. <_<

If dried fruit lasts approximately 1 year and dried vegetables even less. Then it would seem freezing is the best thing. Can you enlighten me. I know I will have to do something with the excess garden veggies. So, I plan on dehydrating them.

So, If I am understanding correctly, the dehydrated items should be consumed prior to getting into the can goods that are labeled to last for two years. Am I correct? Ladies what have you done and how long does the dehydrated items you have last?

I've never seen such a short shelf life stated anywhere. Do you know where you found that? The two books on dehydrating I've read said 30+ shelf life with oxygen absorbers and indefinitely in the freezer.

I found this on the National Center for Home Food Preservation - www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/dry/pack_store.html

Lynn, how long if you do not put the oxygen absorbers in?

I don't remember off hand. The shorter life may be the case for dried food that isn't packaged as well...it would get you through the winter which is why people started drying food. Perhaps someone else knows for sure?

The linked website states references for general storage of such items. Vegetables have a stated shorter shelf-life because they are a low-acid food and subject to mold or other growth over time. The website does not delve in to the subject of vacuum sealing or using sealed packets that remove moisture and/or oxygen.

Keep in mind that oxygen absorbers do NOT remove moisture. If you have a lot of dehydrated food I would consider a Silica Gel Desiccant packet to be more important than an OA.

Keep in mind that oxygen absorbers do NOT remove moisture. If you have a lot of dehydrated food I would consider a Silica Gel Desiccant packet to be more important than an OA.

When I dehydrate the veggies I am vacuum packing it. Do you think I need to put in the silica Gel Dessicant? I saw somewhere where you can make your own using tea bags and buying the silica gel at like Hobby Lobby...what is your take on that? Can I dry and just vacuum seal?

Thanks ladies I appreciate all the questions you answer for me. You can't beat knowing knowledgeable, experienced people!

Not unless there is excess moisture in the item at the time you seal it. Vacuum-sealing does a pretty good job of keeping air and moisture out. Mylar bags or regular containers, yes I might want to use them, but I don't know if I would use both (OA and Desicant). Probably just the Desiccant for dehydrated foods.

Just had to share. I got a new dehydrator and it hasn't stopped running since it came in to door.

So far I've done:

6 lbs. of sliced carrots

4 lbs of broccoli

2 lbs of mixed veggies

and I have 3 lbs of strawberries in it now.

Next is:

3 lbs of broccoli

5 lbs of corn

5 lbs of potatoes

and 3 more lbs. of carrots.

Plus my brother is going to start bringing over his veggies he isn't using up as fast to dry like potatoes. I also plan to work on jerky this weekend and some onions that are getting old. I also just order oxygen absorbers and mylar bags. Now I have to get a vacuum sealer. Anyone have a cheep one that works good?

I have to say thanks to all of you. You have inspired me to get things dried so I'll have more room in my freezer and so I'll have them for later in case TSHTF....which in my home may not be too far away..... Thank You all again. :bighug2:

Hi dehydrating friends,

I'm dehydrating cabbage mix tonight. The cabbage mix I did on Sunday I blanched, the cabbage mix I did on Monday I didn't blanch. I've used both this week when making egg rolls...there was absolutely no differance in the finished egg rolls.

This will finish my cabbage, I will vaccuum seal and be done with cabbage. I've got strawberries, lemons, limas, celery and carrots to do before Saturday.

Thanks for sharing the cabbage info. I actually have two heads in the fridge I'd forgotten about :( I'll get them in there tomorrow...and of course use the easier non blanching method!

I had turnips and sweet potatoes going today. Turnips are done already and were thrown in raw. I followed the instructions I had for sweet potatoes which were to bake them and peel when cooled. Those skins were a soggy mess. Not fun. They also look like they need at least until morning to finish.

Went to buy my vacuum sealer today and I took your advice and got a Food Saver. I was planning to get a cheaper one, but they had this one on sale cheaper than i had seen it anywhere so I got it AND an extra roll of plastic. Plus Sam's sells the refills (for now) so I'm going to try and stock up on those too. Now I have to save up for a mandolin. I have one, but it's a safety one and it drives me nuts! I need an old fashion easy to slice anything one. Thanks for the advice. :D

Archived