MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

HUSBAND IS THINKING....

Jenn

Hello Everyone! I am new to the board. I have been sitting back and reading the forums for a couple of weeks. There is so much info here..thank you for that. Anyways, my husband is talking about joining the Air-Force Guard. He is 36 and it is something he has always wanted to do. He just lost his job that he worked at for 18 years(right after he got out of High School). I guess my question is what does the guard do, how long are they gone, will he be able to work for them.

Hi Jenn,

Sorry I can't help you on the Guard question. I just want to welcome you.

I imagine a lot of people will be considering the military now that jobs are impossible to find. You must be worried about the change this will mean in your family, in addition to the burden of his un-employment.

I hope we can be a source of knowledge and encouragement for you.

Welcome Jenn, glad you're here. DH is retired AF, and DS and DSIL were/are in Marines, so I don't know anything about the Guard. Maybe "google" it and see what comes up.

Navy veteran here, dad and grandpa also, exhubby and ex FIL also served ( navy and army veterans, son a Marine veteran with a Marine Wife, both became officers after enlisted). DIL will go chase pirates luckily in May , instead of Persian Gulf --- Iran makes me nervous for every one on navy ships there now. DS medically discharged over neck injury but working hard and plans to do alot more in life as life goes on.

If you want a real job that will keep ya busy, join another service in the military to your DH. Navy aviation group members do five times as much gear as an AF worker..... if he has some real grit within, AF is too posh.... !!!! But either way, happy he wants to serve.

He may want a 'certain' occupation, but he may not get it, that is reality at any time in the service. They will fill their billets and jobs as needed at this point especially. But the benefits and learning a vocational trade is valuable as well as earning VA benefits such as an education fund. I am not sure what is advertized these days, bonuses for certain jobs. There is hazardous duty pay, dependents housing pay, medical for the military member and dependents, wife and children. This can be a very good choice. There may be bonuses for certain jobs available. There are other extras but this is all I can recall at the moment.

Can he run 3 miles? Do pushups? Pullups? If not , tell him to get busy!

It is a good choice to be able to maintain an income. It will test him in ways he may not realize but if he is determined and can take the pressure, he should be just fine. If he was law enforcement previously, he would probably do great. Best wishes!

Archived