MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 37

I'm exhausted! I now have :band2:

an 8ft wide, 8ft high (inside) and 48 ft long semi trailer parked in the yard.

Now I can :dusting:

and put all my preps and livestock feed and STUFF out of the house! And I can put the milking stand in there so I can milk out of the weather.

And it is all above the level that the water came to when it flooded which is more than I can say for anything else around here.

If you come across any ugly, splintery pallets, you might want to haul them home to line up on the roof of this trailer. That might make a substantial difference in the internal temperature.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you come across any ugly, splintery pallets, you might want to haul them home to line up on the roof of this trailer. That might make a substantial difference in the internal temperature.
Especially if you find a way to use them to make a frame for a living roof.

'OINK' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:52 PM' post='287199']

Today I went to Sam's club and bought 25# of all purpose and 25# of bread flour. I also bought my very first ever! case of canning jars and a box of lids with bands ( bands are for to make a rack for the bottom of the pot).

Now, I need to buy my mylar bags and some oxy absorbs. Hubby has found two buckets(#2's) with lids and he's keeping an eye out for some more. I keep asking at my stores when I'm in there but they never have any for free. small steps. keep asking.

I have a tooth that is just starting to hurt. So I tried to call a local oral surgeon and they were closed ( close at 1pm on fridays). So now I have to wait until monday to call and make an appointment. It's not too bad right now, but I don't want it to become abscessed. Then....I can get new dentures! *happy dance* Then I don't have to worry about that part of my health never again ( tooth pulling). This Korea thing and the economy has got me thinking I need to get that part of my health taken care of now.

Oh and thanx Yart! My blackberries are about a foot high and have lots of leaf growth. They look healthy, but I don't know how old that would make them.

Oink,

If your tooth starts to really bother you before you can get to the oral surgeon, put some Oil of Cloves on a cotton ball abd put the cotton ball on the offending tooth. Then gently bite down. The Oil of Cloves will temporarily eleviate the pain. One thing, do not swallow the juice. If you do, you will be able to give new meaning to the term acid indegestion.

Been a while since I added any progress here, and I've been a busy little bee! Collecting and producing!

I ordered and received it, from Harmony House. I got another Pantry Stuffer along with the 'dehydrated' beans that I am anxious to try.

I located a small amount of ammunition that I have been looking for.

I finally ordered my Wonder Junior Deluxe Grain Mill that I kept procrastinating on.

Today I will be able to get the 50 lbs of flour into the freezer for it's 2 week stay there before rebagging it.

I found a good deal on a Leatherman tool, and ordered a couple. It's the mini keychain one, but I've never had one before.

I'm waiting anxiously for our reloading equipment to arrive. We felt that this was a very wise prep under the conditions, but still waiting.

Thanks campy! good info to know.

I went to my local hardware store this morning ( busy, busy in there!), and picked up 5lb of seed potatoes. while I was there I spotted a canning tool set. So, now I have the tools I need to start canning. At least water bath anyways. Have to figure out if we can afford the tooth and a pressure canner together, or we may have to wait on the canner a couple of months. I've decide on a AA.

I made my own peg bag using an old metal hanger from the dry cleaners and some material from my craft cupboard.

I ordered the Vegetable and Herb Expert for my friend who is growing her own. I studied our copy and found it amazing so Im going to take it up to bed to read.

Iv ordered in Cornbeef (not sure what the Americans call it), its like spam and never runs out of date. They have WW2 Cornbeef that is still very edible.

I started to get my Veterinary first aid up to scratch, so Iv got loads of dog vet books coming. Now Im thinking up dog biscuit recipes to save the nasties in normal ones and saving me money too.

The sowing machine came out (I fixed the pedal last year) and took in a pencil skirt on the hip and also took up trousers for summer.

Iv also sorted my wardrobe and have a huge needs list which I will carry with me, when I hit the charity (thrift) shops.

Put my spending on a halt to let my account recover a bit, and also fixed that Dentist appointment, as I dont pay at the moment (HC1 certificate).

'HippyChick' date='Mar 22 2009, 12:26 PM' post='286121']

I received my first order from Honeyville yesterday. 2 #10 cans of eggs. I just feel better knowing I have something started for my long term storage.

I also organized my pantry and now realize I have plenty of room for more preps.

Check the "reconstituting" instructions on the can and verify that they are correct.

I had an issue about 6 weeks ago with 2 different cans of powdered eggs from Honeyville. They were saying 2 different things.

I called Honeyville and this is the correct mixture.

The correct reconstitution instructions are: 2 Tablespoons of powdered egg and 4 Tablespoons of water.

Thanks Campy, I'll check my cans.

I've been garage sale-ing for my preps lately. :) the list over the last two Saturdays:

I've found lots of jeans to fit my older children (who don't get hand-me-down from anyone).

I found three large metal ammo boxes for $5.

I found a real military kevlar helmet for $1. (not really a prep, but neat for the boys to play with anyway!)

I found over three dozen more canning jars with lots of lids and rings for less than $4.

I found 2 propane tanks for $10 each. These I'll use for trade ins on new filled ones, after using the remaining propane.

I found two plastic water barrels with wonderful clamping lids for $2.50 each. They look something like this:

HPIM2381.jpg

Edited by HannaLee
...If you come across any ugly, splintery pallets, you might want to haul them home to line up on the roof of this trailer. That might make a substantial difference in the internal temperature.

...Especially if you find a way to use them to make a frame for a living roof.

...Good idea, just don't know how I'd ever manage to get them up there though.

Maybe not such a good idea, as those trailers aren't usually designed to carry weight up on top.

Picked up 4 of the 48" kiddy pools to use as raised bed gardens. Will be planting in them next weekend. Hubby thinks he has found 2 more that are a little larger and will bring them home tomorrow. A friend has 10 bales of hay left over in his barn that he is giving me. He says they are too old to feed to his cows but will make a good mulch around the out side of the pools to help excess heat for the garden. Doing my little happy dance as this is the first time in 5 years I have been able to even have a garden.

I checked the tracking on three orders I placed earlier this month and everything is waiting at the PO to pick them up.

Firesteel for BOB, The Gift of Fear book, and a pound of nice Sprout Seeds!

:woohoo:

Just tried out the firesteel..... its a brand name item on survivaltactics.com and boy howdy, it works great! Do get some for the BOBs and Backpacks folks if you can. this site is listed on the packaging: www.light-my-fire.com as well. I have yet to get to it.

The Firesteel puts out a good spray of sparks, so it should start a fire up or light a gas stove or lamp easily. The black paint on the steel scrapes off fast and it recommends doing that on the packaging, but I think I will leave some on to protect it from the weather longer.

It says 12,000 strikes. I believe I paid more dearly through Amazon, but decided to get it since I was ordering another item at the time.

One thing I noted was the wooden knob handle was very dry wood so I just oiled it abit because it may help it last. The knob is not necessary but it does provide a hold for it at this point. The cord on it is sturdy too and big enough to slip over your wrist as you work on building the fire up so you don't lose it, but the clasp that holds the cord on is plastic, so take that for what its worth, not much, so carry it in your pocket or BOB as you go so you don't lose it in your travels! Overall this is handier than a piece of flint with steel because you send out a spray of sparks with it rather than just one per strike with a knife, because it is a smooth rod of steel. It has a steel striker with it on the cord to hold it all together. It has grooves with sharp bits, like a key sort of to strike on the rod with.

The Gift of Fear book looks good. Thanks to those who suggested it! The sprout seeds are plentiful in just a pound of it. Will be starting some sprouts!

Edited by arby

This weekend DH and I organized some of our bucket storage.

He found 3 square buckets - maybe 5 gallon size - that had pinto beans and rice in them from 1999. Seriously. I doubted the ability of them to be edible, so I cooked up some of both and the rice was yeeech. Stale smelling and musty tasting. In desperation, it could be disguised in a spicy dish, I suppose. <<Could I save the stale rice and cook it up for chicken food once the chickies are bigger?>> The pinto beans were fine. We re-packed them and will use them first.

The kicker is - these were stored poorly. The product was just poured into the buckets and stored in a basement. Sometimes directly on the concrete floor. :blink: No mylar bags (they didn't have it affordable then!), no DE, nothing. So, if all we lost was a bunch of rice from my husband's bachelor days, I think we're doing okay. :cele:

DH was tickled pink to find that I'd been faithfully adding to the storge pantry over the past year, particularly since I got the FoodSaver. We both agree that there are some things we need more of. It was so nice having some help lugging those buckets around and putting them away.

There are coatings for roofs that are made to help with cooling. I think it takes 1 gallon per 100 square feet. Elastomeric? Anyhow, you paint them on with a paint brush or roller.

Just do a google for cooling roof, or ask at the hardware/paint store.

This weekend DH and I organized some of our bucket storage.

He found 3 square buckets - maybe 5 gallon size - that had pinto beans and rice in them from 1999. Seriously. I doubted the ability of them to be edible, so I cooked up some of both and the rice was yeeech. Stale smelling and musty tasting. In desperation, it could be disguised in a spicy dish, I suppose. <<Could I save the stale rice and cook it up for chicken food once the chickies are bigger?>> The pinto beans were fine. We re-packed them and will use them first.

It is ok to feed to the birds raw. No need to cook it. I would use it sparingly though because it will lower the overall protein level of their diet if you use too much at a time. Just toss a cupful on the ground every day or two for 25 or so chickens.

If you have dogs you can also cook it up and mix with scraps for their dinner.

Set up the frame for a new raised bed a couple of days ago. Today I went and got the soil to put in it. HOPEFULLY (if the rain ends), I will get the dirt out of the bags and into the framework.

I picked up a couple of extra bags of soil to "repair" the "ruts" (actually more like gullys and ravines) in the lawn. The nursery said the sod should be in the beginning of the week (I gave up on trying to use grass seed - it washes out faster than I can plant it).

Iv started to go through my humongous library to find books Iv already got on horticulture, dog care, survival stuff.

Had a dental check up - yuk I hate those.

Brainstormed after all your wonderful advice on storeing things in secret in my bedroom. Iv got loads of ideas now.

Recieved all the Veterinary dog books and preparing reviews for dogpages website.

Thinking of stokeing up on my materials.

Hubby bought us three peach trees. I can't wait I want an aple tree as well. I am not sure if the grow here in north Florida or not though.

Melissa, what you have to be careful of is "chill hours." Call your county agent and ask how many chill hours you get there. Subtract 50 because not every year will be a good year. Then DO NOT order any fruit trees unless you know how many chill hours that tree needs. Also be careful to get two with overlapping bloom times so you can get your crosspollination. I have had bad luck with Anna, because it finished blooming before anything else was showing signs of life, but a friend twenty miles east has heavy, beautiful crops on her Anna. Our Ein Shemer had little tiny hard apples that were best used as missiles.

Do try here:

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/

Here's the apple page:

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Apples.htm

I've been printing all of the pdf files that I've saved, ( thank you drum runner;) ) and am putting them in notebooks for later reference. One for the kitchen, one for first aid, one for the garden, etc.

And I also bought some more jars and lids

Edited by OINK

You're going to laugh at me.

DH has always hated oatmeal. <_<

This week I got him to try real oatmeal, not that oversweetened instant mush.

He loves it. B)

Rain washed out or pounded flat a lot of my seedlings, but the onions and sunflowers are very happy. Ordered new tobacco seed. Sent out seed packets this morning (finally!). Got a new printer to get back to printing for my notebooks. Sweet potato slips should arrive any day now. Made another step toward getting my chicken yard extended.