MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ironing clothes

Purdy Bear

As a child of a military person, I have always been fascinated how they Iron their clothes without creasing, also how they travel and still get their clothes to look creaseless when they get it out the case.

I would love to know the answer!

Hugs

Patricia

The key to military ironing is to 1. Have someone set the 'creases' for you with an industrial pressing iron. You can buy such items for pant legs (razor sharp!) and shirts. They are about $120 and are the size of a normal ironing board.

2. a good iron helps - Rowenta, etc. Pressing, up and down motion, with steam, and NOT ironing (back and forth) set the crease well.

3. Now, rank, insignia, and patches come pre-pressed so all one needs to do is rip an old one off & sew a new one on. Of course, the idea is to replace the ID & patches when you replace the bdu's or uniforms.

;)

Michael LOVES to iron ! :shrug:

But since most of our clothes don't need it he mainly gets to do it to the quilts he makes and sells. Whenever we are at our Amish Friends and ironing needs to be done (and none of the men are around) theres Michael in his glory.

He said as a kid one thing his mom made him do was the ironing when he was bad (and I guess that was a lot), but she never found out he loved the smell of a hot iron on clean clothes. Here we use a cordless iron on an old wooden ironing board.

Archived