MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Create an Urban Emergency Evacuation Kit for Work

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Urban-Eme...on-Kit-for-Work

This was a bit long to copy and paste, but here's the intro and it's a really good article.

Natural and man made disasters can force offices full of workers to evacuate. In big cities a disaster may also affect public transportation. In an emergency, you may be on your own and forced to improvise. Here's how to create an Urban Emergency Evacuation Kit that you should store at work in the event of an emergency to keep you safe and prepared.

Thank you for the link!

Glad I wont be working close to DT for too much longer so hopefully I wont ever need this....but I ought to make something like this for my mum (:wub: ) for her to keep in her locker at work :ph34r:

Project!!!! :cele:

Edited by PrairieGirl

I do not work as I am disabled, but I carry some absolutely basic items in my tote bag I am using because I made a BOB with my daypack and its pretty heavy to carry around. I think I can make a bag to put in the brand new lockers, small square size and put a padlock on it at mha because I often spend up to three days a week, during the day there, and the mha bldg is 12 miles away from my residence. Enough to walk home and camp out overnite if need be, a small bag of gear and snack food, tea and cocoa, basic survival items, including a space blanket and some potassium iodide as I feel that these are a necessary item in any BOB or SIP kit. The ability to make a fire, a sharp locking blade knife, first aid, ability to carry and purify water. Ability to cook or boil water...remember even a soda can could be used over a fire.

This small packet of gear could probably fit into a Buxton Bag perhaps. But i might have to just make my own bag which may be a bit thicker so I can be sure to have a poncho in it and a few other things that would make it easier on the way home. Practical shoes was an issue this week. I wear them anyway, but alot of folks don't wear them to work or when they are running around on errands and dressed up nicely. These are a major item. If you had to walk any distance, whether it is streets and sidewalks or over hill and dale, good practical strong , broken in shoes are important.

I really appreciate this thread being posted. It jogged my mind too! I think the wiki article was great in that it suggested that people working together prepare GHB ( get home bags), and figure out a plan to get home in case :smiley_shitfan:

One of the things I really need to work on is tiny fishing kits for each of my BOB/GHB/Tote situation, because all around me are bodies of water I would be going by, and it would be great to catch some fish for a meal if I have between 12 and 40 miles to walk , and in a bad situation like EMP or solar flare or national emergency, regional disaster..... I could be stuck doing that very thing.

This is also a small enough item, conceptually, to introduce BOBs to my co-clients and the employees at mha, all of which are people I care about. So, thanks for the ideas!!!! I often get a ride all over the north part of my county when we go and pick up or drop off clients, and it truly could be quite a hike back to town here, depending on exactly where things could happen at any given moment.

If the vehicles go down due to an EMP, it could be a very long walk home. Survival items would make it alot easier. On my person I always have a lighter and my locking blade knife with the keenest edge, and always have a container of water 1L. size in my tote and tea lights, tea bags, couple packets of cocoa, space blanket.

But the tote bag has all kinds of extras I use, a binder full of notepaper, gloves, neck scarf, sometimes books. A packet at the locker would be better to have.... just essentials. The cold weather gear is good for half the year, so that can be an essential of course!

The wiki article also said to practice during fire drills to grab that bag as one leaves the bldg. This is good. It trains the mind and body to be more automatic about it. I would probably practice it more often, so that it clicks in to my mind on a well made brain trail.

So far though, I usually always carry enough essentials with me to get by on for a day or two. But a packet left in the locker would include Mainstays or Datrex food bars and a metal cup for boiling water in.

I think I will go work on fishing kits!

hmm. I actually do my job from a big van most of the time. So, this definitely gives me something to consider, since we are sometimes many hours' drive from my home. I already have some of these basics in the van, just because we are so far away from civilization at times.

Thanks for the link! Very helpful and informative!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.