MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why aren't we worried about pigs?

Joan

I was looking at my Microbiology textbook from a couple of years ago, and it says "Influenza is widespread in chickens; although chickens can't transmit the virus to humans, they can transfer it to pigs. Pigs can transfer it to humans, and humans, back to pigs"

It also talks about how recombination between human strains and avian strains happens in pigs. Yes there is a possibilty of a strain being able to jump from birds to humans, but we never hear about the transmission from pigs?

Somewhere in a far-back post we discussed this. I *believe* that the so-called "Spanish Flu" of 1918 was supposed to have started in the heart of the country, at a military camp where they were dealing with pigs.

That's why there was a lot of fear about all the pigs that were dying in China a year or so ago. And they just threw them into the rivers. :(

It's from the pigs that *we* more easily catch it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have read so much on the Bird Flu for years I can't tell you what site I read this ---but yes the researchers are worried about pigs. They say if it jumps to pigs we are in big trouble, because then it is an easy jump to humans.

That is very true about the pigs. A lot of our medicines (such as Insulin) comes from pigs, apparently they have a similar make up to us. Adoreable and very intelligent creatures they are too.

GOODMORNINGDOGS2.jpg

I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there who have not given it a thought, (pigs and flu), I know I hadn't until I read this post.

I did a google check about pigs and the flu, I came up with a lot of info.

These are a few sites, but, some if not all are copyrighted so can't post the info just the url.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1024974.ece

http://www.iptv.org/mtom/archivedbazaar.cfm?Bid=339

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/i...y2705avflu.html

There are a lot more, but, this will be a good start to read.

I didn't read all of them, but, will have to go back and read them.

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

• 2 weeks later...

NY health commisioner said it does not transfer by eating pork products.

The flu outbreak that has swine, avian and human strains of flu in it now affecting those in Mexico and in the US as of this week, is human to human transfer most likely, but we can give it to pigs. Then if you have pigs you are raising.... you may have to make some hard choices about your pigs, if they get sickly. ( But if one has livestock, they are usually aware of dangers to the health of their animals.)

Edited by arby

DS drive a semi hauling hogs and feeder pigs. He goes from building to building hauling hogs to different producers and processing plants around the state plus a couple of other states. He's almost 36 so a little nerve wracking, to say the least.

To put it bluntly, pig snot carries germs we can catch.

Your porkchop shouldn't have pig snot on or in it.

Dee's DS needs a good filter mask and a bottle of handwashing fluid to go with his brass cojones.

In the US do you have pig movement controls in place? Since we had foot and mouth some years ago, farm animals here have to have a licence to be moved.

I have one very sweet pot bellied pig. He is skittish and won't be handled but he is around us when we're outside. However he spends most of his time with his buddies, the cows. He thinks its his job to herd them up. My main worry with him if this flu keeps up, is that authorities will be wanting to cull the pigs and chickens and he'll be one of them--it'd be like killing the family dogs..We're hatching chicks now and getting quite a few day olds from the hatchery in a week. I just hope it doesn't come to a massive extermination. Should I be worried about this? (I'm in Canada btw)

ROFL!!!! Pig Snot!

ok, any snot!

now to be serious..

We mostly eat animal muscle, nothing to worry about, besides how many eat rare pork chops? ewwww!

so, if pork prices dip... buy, buy, buy!!! can, can, can!!!

remove bone and stuff a couple of chops in a jar! buy pork loin and slice thin and can.

I like thinly sliced pork to go with my pork top ramen! ROFL!!!

cubed to eat with soups or mexican dishes

whole because I want a pork chop!

shredded to make more mexican dishes or pour BBQ sauce over to make sandwiches.

if it goes on sale because of the fear.. buy, buy, buy... can, can, can!!!!!

ROFL!!!! Pig Snot!

ok, any snot!

now to be serious..

We mostly eat animal muscle, nothing to worry about, besides how many eat rare pork chops? ewwww!

so, if pork prices dip... buy, buy, buy!!! can, can, can!!!

remove bone and stuff a couple of chops in a jar! buy pork loin and slice thin and can.

I like thinly sliced pork to go with my pork top ramen! ROFL!!!

cubed to eat with soups or mexican dishes

whole because I want a pork chop!

shredded to make more mexican dishes or pour BBQ sauce over to make sandwiches.

if it goes on sale because of the fear.. buy, buy, buy... can, can, can!!!!!

Okay.....so I read pig snot...then was reading that we eat the animal

muscle....but I actually thought it said mucus. Grossed me out.....now I have pig snot on the brain! ;) I better watch for some sales ! LOL!

Edited by Deblyn