MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sewing Machines

The other sewing machine thread made me think. Do I need to get a non-electric sewing machine as well as my lovely old war horse I inherited from my Mum?

I can sew by hand, and have made loads of stuff not using the machine. So should I be looking for an old pre electric machine and are they as good?

I presume they only do a straight stritch and no cross stitching etc.

Thanks

Patricia

That would depend on the lovely old work horse. A lot of older machines (pre 1960) are easily convertable to be run with a treadle and belt.

I'd never thought about it, but I would imagine that any belt driven (non-computerized) machine could be switched over to treadle use with a little enginuity. All you'd need to do is spin the motor somehow. And I would assume that you could still use a zig-zag stitch in doing that.

I know that you can get an attatchement (simular to a button-holer) for antique treadle machines that moves the fabric in a side to side motion to achieve the zig-zag stitch.

I have a treadle and a hand crank sewing machine. I also have a 401G that can be converted to a treadle. The 401G - made in Germany and does all of the fancy stitches my 401A does.

If SHTF, I open up;

.........."Fancy Stitches"..........

Fashion Design and Alterations

One of the best straight stitches is done on my treadle! great for quilting.

now for those that are also concerned about a treadle serger.... LOL!

http://mushycat.com/wiki/index.php?n=Tread...ergerConversion

I have considered doing this to an Elna 4 thread I have.

I have a treadle and a hand crank sewing machine. I also have a 401G that can be converted to a treadle. The 401G - made in Germany and does all of the fancy stitches my 401A does.

If SHTF, I open up;

.........."Fancy Stitches"..........

Fashion Design and Alterations

One of the best straight stitches is done on my treadle! great for quilting.

now for those that are also concerned about a treadle serger.... LOL!

http://mushycat.com/wiki/index.php?n=Tread...ergerConversion

I have considered doing this to an Elna 4 thread I have.

I also have a hand crank machine it belonged to my grandmother and was a second hand machine too her, I estimate it must be over 100 years old, does your have a bullet shaped shuttle that you drop a spindle of cotton inside.

MY machine is a Jones and was made just before singer brought out there model, though the design appears to be very similar. I am having problem with the tension, the underside of the fabric is a knotted mess and the upper thread breaks easily. I don't know how too fix it and there are no sewing machine mechanics in my area.

Does anybody know how I can fix this beautiful old lady, in the past I have seen my grandmother make silk underware and my mother demin jeans for my brothers on this machine. Is the problem with the shuttle or the upper tension knob, if it is the tension knob do I turn it a little to the left or right.

if the thread is a rats nest on the bottom, the upper tension needs adjusting.

if the thread is a rats nest on top.. there is a problem with the tension on the bobbin or shuttle.

first thing to do is to clean, clean, clean! oil and grease.

use SEWING MACHINE OIL ONLY!!!!!! WD40 is a man's answer to everything.. which is ok for his clunky tools, but out tools, sewing machine, are precision machines and need sewing machine oil and sewing machine grease.

Remove hook assembly and clean and oil under there... check your manual

take a piece of fabric and dip it in alcohol, run it around the tension discs to clean any oil, dirt, debris, lint!

Using new thread... no old thread... wind your shuttle/bobbin.

cut a strip of fabric about 3 inches wide and 44 inches long (fold facing you cut a strip)

make sure machine is threaded properly... check manual

sew 3 inches and stop. Adjust your tension a fraction of a turn, sew 3 inches and stop. Check stitches, Adjust tension a fraction of a turn and sew 3 inches.. repeat.

Usually when I find a machine that has had its tension dial played with .. ladies.. this is a precision piece of equipment.. children have No business left alone with it. they can get hurt.. sewing finger, break a needle and land in their eye... keep the machine shut down and covered!!!!

I usually have to run up the tension numbers 0-9 then from 9-0 and then back up again before I find the correct tension setting. That darn tension spring.... sometimes it can be finicky.

you may have to have your tension spring replaced.

I do not have shuttles any more. All of mine are bobbins.

Westbrook thank you for all the great advice, this is a beautiful old machine and I was nervous of playing around with the tension and making things worse.

I have very fond memories of both my mother and my grandmother using it and helping, I was allowed to turn the crank slowly whilst they made some of my clothes,

My grandmother also had a foot tredal singer, which she had converted to electri, she hated it and gave it to my mother, sadly it was given away some years ago.

I do have a electric sewing machine, a toyota that is 20 year oid a good basic machine, I have made my daughter a coat when she was small many many outfits over the years, countless curtains, bridesmaids outfits and a ball gown on this machine, silk, denim and heavy duty wool dosent seem to be a problem.

But I still hanker to use the old lady sitting in the corner of our sitting room.