MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just had to share this with someone

chefddr

First of all, let me say that I have missed being here, but now that school is done until August, I hope to be here more often.

Well,some of you may know I am LDS, so I am working on my food storage (I am a new convert) I am plannning on buying my first 100# of wheat in the next week or so and canning it with the help from someone at church. I am also considering opening all my bags of beans etc.. and canning those along with the 100# of rice and 100# of oats I want to get as well. I am really getting into this, but then, I have always been into this.

I spoke to my sister in NY (I am in PA) and she said "SMART IDEA!!" this is someone who has a great job, but is really struggling since her hubby had lymphoma and isn't working. Anyway, she has started her food storage, (I told her to start last summer and she listened to me, and she is the SMART sister!!) I sent her the info about BOB's and we are planning a trip to the Cannery near DC over the summer. She asked me if I have gas masks, I said NOPE, she is sending me 3 one for each member of my family.

She is also getting her handgun permit and she has handguns from her father in law who recently died. She is going to get me one and I am going to apply for my own permit here in PA next month.

So when I told my mom that I was going to get wheat she told me "you're going too far" um, ok mom, call me when you need flour and I'll grind some wheat for you, or heck, I'll just get you a few cases from the cannery!! HMM, wonder what Mom would say if I told her I was thinking of a GUN?? I think she would faint dead away on me :0327:

At least she is willing to teach me how to make bread from scratch. I figure I can easily make pizza dough, how hard is bread? I just need to get a few good pans.

Anyway, I just wanted to share about my sis, she is on my side and has seen the red flags so it is good to know that I am not the only one in my family. Everyone can easily say "Well she IS BI-POLAR but I hope someone see's the storm coming b/c I sure as heck don't have enough for my entire family!!!!!

Edited by chefddr

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

Nice to see you again, WELCOMBACKFLASHINGCOLORS.gif .

Glad your sister is learning. :)

Wish there was a LDS canning place around here, but have no idea where it would be. Guess I need to check on line and see if there is one. :)

HUGS4-1.gifhaveanicedaydogandflowers.gif

Good for your sister. And what you are doing sounds so cool. I wish I could get and store that much wheat...but I'd have no idea how at this point! I'm starting small with preserving fruits and veggies, but I hope to be at that point soon enough.

If only I knew where in the world I am gonna put 50 cans of wheat!!?? And I need to order a grain mill for my Kitchen Aid mixer AND one that is manual too. I am tired just thinking of all the work ahead of me! I wish I knew how to can. That is my goal for this year and next, to learn how to can, especially meats!

If only I knew where in the world I am gonna put 50 cans of wheat!!?? And I need to order a grain mill for my Kitchen Aid mixer AND one that is manual too. I am tired just thinking of all the work ahead of me! I wish I knew how to can. That is my goal for this year and next, to learn how to can, especially meats!

I was thinking about ordering this grain mill. It's manual and you can order the attachment to use it with your Kitchen Aid.

http://www.fykitchen.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=474

Pleasant Hill grain has them also.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/family_grain_mills.aspx

Blessings,

BB

Hello and welcome back. I just got back myself. Sounds like you and sis are stepping off arm-in-arm. Good for y'all. I have a question, where is the cannery you refer to down by DC? I am in the area and would like to make a trip there myself. Thanks, Reb

How neat you have your sister to talk to about all this crazy stuff. Yes storing all those cans can be really hard but you will figure it out. Mine is in 5 gal. buckets and I think that is eaiser to store. I ordered mine through a friend that is LDS, they had a big order from Wheat Montana and I got about 500#'s and boy am I glad I have it for the price I paid. Cheap.

Good luck and glad you are here.

Hello and welcome back. I just got back myself. Sounds like you and sis are stepping off arm-in-arm. Good for y'all. I have a question, where is the cannery you refer to down by DC? I am in the area and would like to make a trip there myself. Thanks, Reb

The DC Cannery is here, hope this helps. I can't wait to get there myself!

Washington, DC

Phone (301) 735-5131

Address 7979 Penn-Randall Place

Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772

How neat you have your sister to talk to about all this crazy stuff. Yes storing all those cans can be really hard but you will figure it out. Mine is in 5 gal. buckets and I think that is eaiser to store. I ordered mine through a friend that is LDS, they had a big order from Wheat Montana and I got about 500#'s and boy am I glad I have it for the price I paid. Cheap.

Good luck and glad you are here.

500##?? :o I'd never be able to do that much, not where I live now. My Food Storage is in boxes and rubbermade crates lining one wall in my dining room and running out of room fast!! I am actually looking for a bigger place with a basement so I can have a secure and LARGER place for food storage.

I too am LDS and I was able to go to the cannery here in Utah for the first time last thursday. It was very exciting!! LOL For $238.00 I was able to get 25lbs each of wheat, rice, rolled oats, sugar, pinto & great white northern beans, spigetti, macaroni, onions, apples, 2 cans of drink mix, 2 cans of onions, 2 cans of dry milk. This wednesday I'll go again and get a starter kit for DSIL's birthday, more powdered milk, potato pearls for every day use, and the hot coco mix. The starter kit may be an idea for your mother. It's 25 dollars I think and has six cans of the basic things, (wheat, rice, rolled oats) It feels so good to have at least a few things on hand that will last 30 yrs. However the using of these wonderful foods might come sooner than expected. With the hit/robbery our 401K has taken, I could need these foods in as little as 15 yrs just to survive. I know however I'll need to times the amount I bought probably by 10 considering that I too have family that refuses to get with the program. LOL Especially my 2 grown sons that look at me like I've lost my mind.grrrrr I finially told them that when the shummer hits the fan, to bring me my grandchildren, and then to go back home and live on what they have. I too would like to get a weapon, maybe a 22lr or small hand gun but DH is dragging his feet. I can't imagine why he'd be worried about me having a gun. :rolleyes: lol Anyway I'm holding out hope for Mothers Day :) I also have found the easiest recipie for bread. www.hillbillyhousewife.com/beginnersbread.htm The first time I made this bread it turned out wonderful and I finially was able to tripple it for 3 loaves and have them turn out.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies!

I used to live in Montana and the wheatfields smelled like baked bread to me!

I am new to all of this toooooo....and my family would have me committed if they knew about my preps! One day they may thank me though.

I have a few beginner questions...if this isn't the right place to ask, maybe you could direct me? But speaking of guns...my Dad left me 2 handguns when he died. I have never done any paperwork on them, and to be honest, at this point I'm glad they are "off the grid" so to speak...but my question is this: where should I go to get ammo and learn how to clean and use the guns??

Also, Home Depot has 5 gal plastic, clean, paint buckets with lids. Everyone says to get "food grade" buckets, but what is the difference? The paint buckets are MUCH cheaper.

Thanks a bunch!

Ruth

Go down to "2nd Amendment" for gun and ammo info. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=38

The food grade buckets don't have the harmful chemicals in them. You sure don't want to store food and then open them to use the food and have it

1) Smell bad

2) Taste bad

3) Make you sick

Why bother doing the work and spending the money only to have everything wasted?

;) THAT'S why.

Anything else, just ask!!!

:)

Try asking for buckets at bakeries and supermarkets where they do their own baking. Often they will charge a small fee just to make it "fair" and/or recover some costs.

Delis sometimes have smaller ones, but if they smell, for example, like pickles, it's hard to get that out.

(Can you get into "2nd Amendment"?)

:bighug2:

Try asking for buckets at bakeries and supermarkets where they do their own baking. Often they will charge a small fee just to make it "fair" and/or recover some costs.

Delis sometimes have smaller ones, but if they smell, for example, like pickles, it's hard to get that out.

(Can you get into "2nd Amendment"?)

:bighug2:

I will get brave and start asking around about the buckets.

I haven't tried posting in "2nd Amend." yet, but am able to read stuff, and that helps alot.

I really appreciate your suggestions! :D

Also, Home Depot has 5 gal plastic, clean, paint buckets with lids. Everyone says to get "food grade" buckets, but what is the difference? The paint buckets are MUCH cheaper.

As far as the buckets. Way, back when I started storing food I went to Home Depot, bought A LOT of their new buckets and dumped all my wheat in. 2 years later I learned the buckets were supposed to be food grade - I panicked :o Well, turns out they were food grade after all :D I Googled the manufacturer (Encore Plastics) and turns out the buckets I bought were safe to use. Since then I've bought other hardware store buckets from different manufacturers and they are all food grade. It's taken some digging through websites to find the information but it's usually there. Or email the company and ask.

Chedddr

The large buckets, the food companies call them surper pails will hold 45 #'s of wheat.

Also ladies I love gamma seals they are great, I have them on my buckets that I use daliy, they make your bucket easy to open again and again. When you put it on it becomes a screw lid. And they come in many colors.

Hi Ladies!

I used to live in Montana and the wheatfields smelled like baked bread to me!

I am new to all of this toooooo....and my family would have me committed if they knew about my preps! One day they may thank me though.

I have a few beginner questions...if this isn't the right place to ask, maybe you could direct me? But speaking of guns...my Dad left me 2 handguns when he died. I have never done any paperwork on them, and to be honest, at this point I'm glad they are "off the grid" so to speak...but my question is this: where should I go to get ammo and learn how to clean and use the guns??

Thanks a bunch!

Ruth

Hey Ruth! did you ever tell me your dad left you handguns??? don't recall that :>) you go gal! from your foil hat buddy B)

I am not LDS, but I have a friend who is. He was going to take me to the cannery in Denver, but then ended up moving, so I never got to go. :(

I would love to get one of those beginner packs.

DH has agreed to getting a grain mill and wheat. He still rolls his eyes, but thinks I am smart and knows that I have "mama instinct" to make sure that my family is taken care of, in any situation.

Cheddr, if your mom thinks you are going "too far" with prepping, try telling her the health benefits of grinding your own grain to bake bread. Whole wheat berries keep all their vitamins and nutrients until they are ground, and then quickly start to lose those vitamins. By the time you buy flour at the store, it hardly has any of those nutrients left. And why buy so much at a time? To save money, of course!