MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vigilant20

Raspberries in partial shade

I'm working on designing a garden in the new yard. I took out a hedge when I moved in during late fall with the intention of putting raspberries there. At the time I hadn't considered that it's in partial shade the the raspberries might protest. I've read that the yield will be reduced that way, but at least I'd have some I guess. Has anyone tried growing in part shade...do you think it's worth it?

The "instructions" always say to plant raspberries in full sun. I have tried maybe 8 different times planting raspberries in full sun and seldom does anything good develop. Oh yeah, they'll grow with gobs and gobs of water. For us to have to use gobs of water is not normal. We're in Northern Iowa farm country where NO irrigation is used in farming because we get enough rain. Most of us water our gardens a little because we're sure it helps. :) Yep, they'll produce but not prolificially. I gave up, it wasn't worth all the effort.

We started thinking back to a neighbor in Des Moines who had marvelous raspberries on the north side of our garage. They were in total shade.

We bought 2 raspberry plants at Wal-Mart and put them on the north side of our house, maybe 4 years ago. They are on the NE side of the house so do get a little early morning sun. They are marvelous and so prolific. Last year we ate them by the handfuls, made raspberry jelly, shared with DS and DIL and put at least 2 gallons in the freezer. They keep coming on so we eat and pick them for 3-4 weeks (at least, not really sure how long). We still water them but nothing like the ones in the sun.

I'll admit we didn't have much hope for these so just let them go wild. They are everywhere now and we trim them back some but with living on the farm and not using the front of the house we don't really care where they go. The neighbor in Des Moines had his on trelis', like you see grapes in vineyards. So if you're neater and more organized than us (and most people probably are) it would probably be a good idea for you too. ;)

So to finally answer your question....you bet I think it's worth it. Go for it vigilant20 and please let us know how it worked.

Yay that's good to hear Dee! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've often noted (in the deep south) that any kind of bramble berry that rambles in and out of the sun will have big, fat berries in the shade and little hard ones in full sun.

I'm so excited...I just wanna run out and plant some now...lol. If only the area wasn't covered in gravel and in need of some soil assistance :rolleyes: Ah well, it'll be good exercise and the sooner I get them in the sooner the first year of waiting will be over.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.