MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Homemaker

planting near a septic tank

I would like to start up a mini orchard, and the best spot I have is downhill from our septic drain field.

It would be several yards away from the end of the field. There used to be scrub pines on the spot when we moved in, so I assume the drain field is not out that far.

Do you think it would be safe? I'm not so much concerned for the safety of the septic system as I am about the safety of consuming fruit from the trees. I wouldn't want to eat any heavy metals that may come up from the soil.

Any thoughts or concerns?

if you are sure that the roots of the trees will not interfere with your drain feild I wouldn't worry about it. the water should be filtered enough before it gets to the tree roots. remember it costs alot to fix a drain feild. so be carefull.

Any impurities are retained in the skin of the fruit, so you have no worries. I lived in Taiwan in the 60's where human waste was the fertilizer. Citrus fruits only needed to be peeled to be safe to eat.

Of course if you love to use zest, you may need to seek other sources.

Edited by Canned Nerd

I do like to use lime zest in my guacamole, but, I can't grow citrus here. :(

Have you checked in to the meyer lemon, lime, or orange? They will grow indoors in a pot if it's warm. And sunny. Growlights anyone?

I had a potted citrus tree I brought in for the winter. It dropped all of it's leaves, so now its sunny winter window belongs to a ficus tree that does so much better.

I would love a greenhouse for things like that, but the only sunny spot to put it is downhill from my septic tank! So... back to the original question of this post! :)

If you're off the drainfield, you're fine. Go for it!