MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Asking Some Prayer Warriors To Be On My Side

urbanforager

Hello my sisters --

I've been reading through some of these posts, and it seems to me that we have a very powerful prayer community here, that's willing to bend the Lord's ear even for those of us who follow a different path to enlightenment. I would like to ask for your prayers.

Long story short...DH has been out of work since February. Of last year. He got fed up with the job search and decided to go back to school. His natural father was in the Marines, and was killed in service when DH was a baby. So DH has some government benefits to cover two years' worth of tuition at any state school. (He's planning on two years at the local community college, then finishing an engineering degree.)

He was also supposed to get survivor benefits under the GI Bill. He stopped collecting unemployment to go to school. While waiting for the benefit checks to start, we burned through our meager savings. We were told that the first check would be retroactive to when he applied (Dec.2008), then $900 per month afterwards. I figured, great, we can pay our bills on that, maybe build our savings back up.

Then the VA Office denied the benefits. DH wasn't told that the benefits had to be used by the time he was 26. (He's 38.)

All the bills are on my shoulders now. I make $1560 a month. Our bills total $2560 a month. That doesn't include food or gas. (Thank goodness for prior prepping -- I do have a pantry to fall back on.) In just a few weeks, things are going to get very, very dire.

Then this weekend, one of my dogs (the not-very-bright one) managed to hurt herself quite badly (deep forehead laceration -- at two in the morning on a Sunday). Used Super Glue to patch her up for the weekend, then took her to the vet's today, to the tune of $375. Put $200 on a credit card, which reached the limit, and just said we'd have to owe them the rest. They want it within a couple of weeks. Ain't gonna happen.

This is just the last straw. I have been writing to everyone I can think of who could help. Today's mail brought a letter from Senator Dick Durbin's office telling me that they've started a "Congressional Inquiry" into our case. I come to you to humbly ask for your prayers, because by golly, from what I've seen on this site, they work. We need to get these benefits reinstated, retroactively if possible. That is my request to you all.

Thank you.

Sylvia I am going to pray that the Lord helps in the way that is meant to happen,but if theres an inquiry being done Congressionally I think it may work out. If it does not , something else will occur that will help you meet your needs I pray and hope for.

May the Lord work in such a way that you very clearly see His hand of mercy. Although we know that sometimes the plan doesn't seem to go the way *we* think it should, He knows the best way for each of us.

You are both in my prayers...

:bighug2:

To my sisters (and brothers!) --

Thank you for your prayers and your kind wishes. It really helps to know that your energy is out there. Whoever wrote the tag for this section of the site is wise; a burden shared is halved.

I'm feeling a little tiny bit better about things already. Last night, as I did my evening meditation, a visualization popped into my mind, one that I'm going to continue to use until this thing is resolved one way or another. I saw myself putting a big armload of "something" (troubles, cares, worries -- whatever; it was in a big sloppily wrapped package of white freezer paper, for some reason) into the lap of some huge Supreme Being/Abba. I thought to myself, "Here. I don't want this anymore; you take it for me please, and resolve it, okay? 'Cause I've got friends praying for me, and with all that energy, something good is going to happen, and I don't need to worry about it anymore."

Folks, I have to tell you, I've got a big lump in my throat right now; can't tell yet whether the tears are yet more repressed fear, or late-breaking relief at your spiritual help. I'm not worried about starving. I've got my garden; I've got my foraging skills, urban and wild; I've got flour for bread (for now). But I don't want to fall behind on our bills, and I hate hate hate the fact that all our credit cards are full. I hate it. I make too much to get any kind of assistance with the power bills or food stamps or anything. Cool visualization notwithstanding, I'm still really, really scared. So please keep the prayers coming, and I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you all.

Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He's a financial advisor who learned it all the hard way.

He has some good advice and stong, proven ways to take control of your personal finances. His website has where to find him on your radio (Hubby can listen and think things through while you're at work) and the website has great helps, too. You might want to take a look, you and your DH...

http://www.daveramsey.com/

Some credit card companies will "settle" for less instead of watching you go bankrupt and they get nothing. You can sell your newer car to get out from under payments, and get a cheap, dependable "beater" car that's paid for. You can renegotiate loans. He has good ideas and great insightful knowledge.

Still praying...

:bighug2:

I am so sorry you are going through this...it can be frightening. I've been there before, am sort of there now. But you know, things always turn out alright, maybe not the way you expect it, but it'll be God's way. You are where you're supposed to be and you will get through this. I pray for strength for you and to feel God's arms around you.

I heartily second the Dave Ramsey recommendation.

Pay first your house payment, then utilities. You've got food covered. If there is nothing left for credit cards or car payments or any other debts, so be it.

DO NOT let a credit card or other collection agency bully you into paying them money you need to cover the basics of a roof, utilities, food.

And DO NOT let any creditor get access to your bank account. Seriously.

Listen to Dave Ramsey. Borrow his books from the library. Check out his website.

I'm praying for you to have what you need to get through this, and I don't just mean money. :bighug2:

Archived