MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
vigilant20

Lynn's Garden

Well...it's begun! Here is the plan I drew up for planting.

3379308190_93664073ef.jpg

This weekend I pulled out the sod and added topsoil, fertilizer, and compost. I've taken off May 8th already in anticipation of good weather for planting weekend.

3452904351_88192e8035.jpg

Well...it's begun! Here is the plan I drew up for planting.

3379308190_93664073ef.jpg

Hey Good Start Lynn. There is nothing like going out to the garden and seeing the fruits of your labor! I was out in my garden this morning and saw yellow squash, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes already! Can't wait to see your garden growing....give us a look later too!

Good for you, Vigalent!

Looks like you have plenty more room for expansion also. Start planning now for some fall/winter plantings.

I don't know if you started your plants from seed, but if you did, you can start some more in pots around June/july and transplant into the new area. Most of the stuff you're planting can be grown for falll. Most people forget about replanting. They're too sore and worn out from the spring/summer work! Also, fall grown brocolli and cauliflowers grow larger and are more flavorful than spring planted ones.

Good for you, Vigalent!

Looks like you have plenty more room for expansion also. Start planning now for some fall/winter plantings.

I don't know if you started your plants from seed, but if you did, you can start some more in pots around June/july and transplant into the new area. Most of the stuff you're planting can be grown for falll. Most people forget about replanting. They're too sore and worn out from the spring/summer work! Also, fall grown brocolli and cauliflowers grow larger and are more flavorful than spring planted ones.

Thanks for the great advice. You are right, I've been more concerned about getting started than planning for it to be as efficient as possible. I actually hadnt' heard or seen anyone around here doing multiple plantings until I took a class recently, so it's all new to me and I'm interested to see how it works. I hadn't planned far enough ahead to start anything indoors...but really only the tomatoes are a problem there and I'll just buy those as seedlings, but I will have to remember to try for some fall crops.

Edited by vigilant20

It looks wonderful! My collard green are coming up like crazy as is my lettuce. The tomatoes are giving me a bit of trouble, but hopefully will decide that they want to grow soon.

You are doing very well Lynn. Starting small, making a plan, and then working your plan. Each year you will get new skills, more confidence, and learn from trial and error. The plot size you have set up is ideal for starting out. Too many people go crazy with big patches when they are new to gardening and end up with problems and are overwhelmed. This one will whet your appetite, feed your appetitite!, and you will have fun with it. Good work.

Just a quick garden update. I put everything in the garden on Mothers Day. Everything but tomatoes were direct seeded.

This lettuce, along with kale, spinach, kale, kohlrabi, broccoli, and cauliflower started showing last week. Beets, bush beans, corn, and the first of the cucumbers were visible tonight. Still a few no shows, but so far so good. I've gotten a pretty good harvest of rocks out of the garden already...lol. Every time I water I see more to pick out. At least they are all pretty little and it's an excuse to hang out in the garden and watch my little seedlings.

3546549991_ca49aba414.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.