MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pansy

THE DEHYDRATOR'S BIBLE

Just got this book this week - it is great! Not only the how-to stuff, but the recipes, the most complete dried food recipes I have come across and I collect cook books! If you can get it from your library give it a look see.

Thanks for posting this! I've been slowly going through the ones my library has to decide which one I want to keep for reference. Mine doesn't carry that one, but it sounds like what I'm looking for. I've added it to my amazon wishlist for next time I make an order :)

ETA: I ordered it from amazon today :) Yay!

Edited by vigilant20

GOODMORNINGWHITEDOG2.gif

ThankyouINBROWN.gif for mentioning this book, I'll have to see if our library has it the next time we go in. :)

hugsgirlandflowers.gifHAVEANICEDAYFLOWERSANDBUTTERFLIES.gif

Now look what you've done. :tapfoot: You made me order not just this book, but also 2 others on dehydrating. All I did was check out this book's review on Amazon. Looked good so I added it to my wish list, then I saw that I could get a special deal on this book when ordered with 2 others - one of which is Bell's jerky book. So what was I to do? :rolleyes:

It's not my fault I'm a weak willed person when it comes to purchasing books which receive glowing reviews from other Mrs. S members.

Thanks for mentioning this. :happy0203:

I collect books too ; too many my hubby and son says

That sounds interesting

I haven't got one yet ;but have been wanting one.

pinkroses

Now look what you've done. :tapfoot: You made me order not just this book, but also 2 others on dehydrating. All I did was check out this book's review on Amazon. Looked good so I added it to my wish list, then I saw that I could get a special deal on this book when ordered with 2 others - one of which is Bell's jerky book. So what was I to do? :rolleyes:

It's not my fault I'm a weak willed person when it comes to purchasing books which receive glowing reviews from other Mrs. S members.

Thanks for mentioning this. :happy0203:

:wub: Gee Tiger - I thought I was the "only one" who could not resist books - used, new - oh boy. Yup, I'm guilty of making you buy that book, but I just know you are going to love it. If we would quit having company I would like to start using the recipes (and drying more stuff!). Pansy :rolleyes:

Bah theres a 3-4 week wait for it here in the UK but decided to order it anyway :cele:

Mary Bells book was one I bought on a recommendation from here and I've used it constantly so hoping this one will get as much use.

Thanks very much

So, ya all would recommend buying this for us home dehydrators? Does it cover non electrical dehydrating? I'm planning on asking hubby to build me one for outside ;)

Could you give me an idea how it's layed out content wise? Is it easy to read or what?

Thanx!

oh wow! thanks Dee! I saw a recipe using beef jerky and dried vegies for one and thats what I'm looking for. Recipes to vacuum seal and then can just add boiling water.

So, ya all would recommend buying this for us home dehydrators? Does it cover non electrical dehydrating? I'm planning on asking hubby to build me one for outside ;)

Could you give me an idea how it's layed out content wise? Is it easy to read or what?

Thanx!

:D Part One - Dehydrating Foods - learned several things (and new ways) of drying - have Mary Bell's book as well, but am totally impressed with this one so far.

Part Two Cooking At Home with Dehydrated Foods

lPart Three - Cooking on the trail with dehydrated foods (awesome recipes in this, not quite through with this chapter, but each serving is one person so they can be individually packaged for camping or bugging out - very complete instructions and the rec ipes sound yummy!

Part Four - Other Uses for your Dehydrator - haven't reached this part yet.

BROWN RICE, APPLE AND CRANBERRY SALAD

Prep at Home:

1/4 cup dried cooked long-grain brown rice

2 Tbsp finely chopped dried Apples

1 Tbsp dried cranberrie

1 tsp dried Leek slices or onion pieces, finally chopped (optional)

1 tsp crumbled dried Parsley

1/8 tsp. Salt

Freshly ground Black Pepper

To Serve:

1/2 cup water

1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar of unsweetened Apple Juice.

Prep at Home:

1. In a sealable plastic bag, combine rice, apples, cranberries, leeks (if using) parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Seal and store at room temperature for up to one month.

To Serve:

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice mixture, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and cooled to room tempterature and most of the liquid is absor bed. Stir in Vinegar

Copied this verbatim - so you can see how recipes are laid out and directions given. My DH would need two of these to satisfy him I think, but haven't tried it yet so not sure. It does sound good to me though.

Pansy

Yes Thanks Pansy! Sounds like section 3 is what I'm looking for! With the food dehydrated and vacuumed sealed it takes up so little space that you could actually have enough food for a week in a BOB.

Looks like I'll be getting this book at sometime. May have to exchange getting something from Honeyville with buying this book.

I received my copy and am very impressed. What I like about this book is the tons of recipes for using the dehydrated veggies, fruits, and stuff. This is definitely the book to buy for people interested in getting heavily into dehydrating.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.