MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Involuntarily Isolation????? What is that

ANewMe

To clarify, ds is not homeschool. As with anytime this is always a personal decision you the parent are responsible for making. Of course I'm evaluating things daily on several levels. One concern is many schools both public and private all over the country have "year end class trips" planned. Even here in the boonies one neighboring county has a "Senior trip to Mexico" on the agenda. While they've not cancelled it yet, I suspect once they are educated further as well as realize their liability of disregarding the new travel recommendations, they will. Or I hope so anyway. As a parent I would not even consider letting mine participate at this time or probably not at any time. We are very guarded on what activities are allowed :D

I have a dilemma.

DS14 wants to go to a homeschool dance this Saturday. The problem is he's mainly going to see his "friend". She just got back from Mexico on Saturday. She's healthy enough at the moment but I'm still a little concerned.

What would you ladies do? DH thinks I should let him (and my 2 DDs) go anyway. I'm not so sure what to do.

Thoughts????

Kimba

They say it shows up between one and three days later, so I would watch her for flu symptoms. Personally if it was my DS, I would have to tell him no. Hard choice, but.... There will be other dances. Not that 14 yr olds want to try and understand that. Its not an easy choice to make but you are the MOM. Decision making bites at times doesn't it?

They say it shows up between one and three days later, so I would watch her for flu symptoms. Personally if it was my DS, I would have to tell him no. Hard choice, but.... There will be other dances. Not that 14 yr olds want to try and understand that. Its not an easy choice to make but you are the MOM. Decision making bites at times doesn't it?

Yeah it does.

Another fact to throw in.....5 potential cases have just been announced for my county. (we have a large immigrant population around here :( ) They are sending the samples to the lab for confirmation. All of the people have recently visited California or Mexico. The people are from the major areas in my county - ya know where the girl lives, where the dance is, where there the grocery store is.......

Answer...no. Two cases not 20 miles from us in Massachusetts are siblings who just got back from Mexico a couple days ago. (last week was their spring break)

Teaberry, YAY!!! I understand that it would be good to build some immunity, but at the same time I'm very glad that you won't have to suffer the symptoms of the swine flu (or the "Piggy Flu", as my children now call it -- they didn't know what swine meant, so when I told them it meant "pig," it very quickly became Piggy Flu! :D Much to my five-year-old son's amusement...at least SOMETHING about it is funny...).

Kimba, my kids are not teenagers, so I say this without the benefit of having experienced a teenaged child's attitude... ;) But I would have to say no to my son. At this point, it just seems a touch too risky. Perhaps after the incubation period passes and the girl is still symptom-free, you could arrange a special (hopefully chaperoned) time for them to spend together? Perhaps a nice dinner? Or a trip to the movies? Although by then, the movies may not be a good place to go, either... LOL In any case, you know what I mean. :) Would DS go for that?

In the end, Kimba, trust your gut instincts. God gave mommies our "feelings" for a reason...and when we have the feeling that something just ain't right, we need to listen to it. Wow, you're actually making me APPRECIATE being the mother of a two-year-old! hehehe :) Good luck as you carry out your decision, hon.

*Turtlemama now goes off to ponder the fact that one day SHE will have teenagers*

Kimba,

I did raise teen boys, and my answer would be No! No way, not happenin', oh HE// NO!

This a a good lesson for the boy in risk assessment, something teen boys do not readily understand, LOL! And sometimes men.

Edited to add: If you DH still wants to let him go, point out that it would be like letting your son get in a car with a teen driver that had been to a party and may be drunk, but you aren't sure because they aren't falling down in front of you.

If that fails, scream, cry and rant, but don't let your kid walk into a situation that you know is potentially life-threatening.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. Today was so busy - we had to go shopping as soon as DH got home from work (one vehicle family) so I haven't had a chance to talk to him. I'll do it tonight though. I can tell the kids "no" but I like it when DH and I are on the same page.

Kimba

Archived