MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2 being tested near us...

Cat

There are cases now in both WA & OR. Lovely. That's why I went and made sure our first aid & flu supplies are up...YIKES.

Be strong and rest in the L-RD. :)

:bighug2:

A friend of mines DD works at the Health Dept. here (Tusc. Co.), they fitted them for mask yesterday, the mask would be used for flu, gas etc. She said they (government) is telling the public that its no worse than the regular flu but thats only to try an calm people.

Looks like we have dodged the bullet this time. Just got an automated call...school is back on tomorrow because the student test turned out negative. Whew! I'm so happy about this even though ds is not. One thing I learned...people are not taking this seriously....there were so many kids out just doing stuff that were supposed to be either at home or only in small groups.

The state tally of confirmed cases of H1N1 has risen to 26. Most of them are in Guadalupe County and 1 case has been confirmed in a Northeast Bexar County resident.

I don't live in that county but we do shop there as it is the closest store to us. I work in the northease part of Bexar county. Yep I carry a lot of wipes and use them often. All we can do is trust in the LORD to keep us safe.

We've had two students test, now. One is in the middle school and one in the high school (when I talked to our sitter, she said the girl in the hs had just gotten back from 2 weeks in Mexico....)

Second swine flu case reported at Notre Dame

Posted: May 05, 2009 9:38 PM EDT

Another case of swine flu has hit the campus of Notre Dame.

University officials confirmed Tuesday night that a second student contracted the H1N1 virus.

They say the student has since recovered and did not have contact with the other Notre Dame student who was diagnosed with Swine Flu.

That latest case at Notre Dame case is just one of 12 new cases being reported in the Hoosier State.

That includes three in Lake County, five in Marion County and one each in Hendricks, Putnam and Tippecanoe Counties.

There are also reports of a probable case of swine flu in Elkhart County.

However, state health officials are not officially reporting on "probable" cases in an effort to ease fears over a pandemic.

http://www.fox28.com/global/story.asp?s=10310044

~~~~~

Swine flu case confirmed in St. Joe County

Posted: 4:56 PM May 5, 2009

Last Updated: 4:56 PM May 5, 2009

A dozen additional swine flu cases were confirmed Tuesday in Indiana, bringing the state's total to 15.

WNDU learned Tuesday evening that one of the new cases is in St. Joseph County, which means a total of two have now been confirmed in our area.

A St. Joseph County Health Department official tells WNDU they were aware of the possible case and they were not surprised with Tuesday’s confirmation.

She says they are actively looking for more cases and doing a lot of testing.

She also says this new case is not related to the swine flu case at Notre Dame.

Now, the other new cases are in Marion, Lake, Hendricks, Porter, Putnam and Tippecanoe counties.

Meantime, in Elkhart County there is a probable case being closely monitored.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/44397037.html

~~~~~

Officials are testing three-year-old Elkhart Co. girl for swine flu

Granger, IN

Posted: 7:58 AM May 5, 2009

Last Updated: 6:54 PM May 5, 2009

A probable swine flu case out of Elkhart County apparently involves a three-year-old girl who regularly attended daycare.

At this point, officials know that the girl attends New Creation Childcare on County Road 10. On Monday afternoon and evening, the Indiana Department of Health made phone calls to try and determine whether anyone else there may have encountered the virus.

"We're in a situation which we were informed yesterday that a child was being tested, but she has not been at our facility since April 22nd," said Rev. David Klahr of New Creation Fellowship. "According to what we have read about the swine flu, the incubation period is two to seven days, we're far beyond that so we're in the safe zone."

With the exception of two absences and a flood of phone calls it was business as usual at New Creation today: Although some parents found last night to be unsettling.

"Some of the parents weren't very happy to get called at 10:30 last night saying that there was a possible case 'cause they didn't know if it was just a joke that somebody was pulling on them," said Karen Walorski with New Creation Daycare.

Walorski says that the state phone calls failed to turn up any additional children who were suffering from flu like symptoms.

"The incubation time is over for us and no other kids seem to have the symptoms of it," said Walorski. "So it really doesn't change what we do any."

Some feel that the phone calls were made in a way that seemed to spread fear and rumors faster than any flu virus could.

"Some people thought that it was definitely confirmed as swine flu and this was something that the children were contagious because the child had been here recently and that was not the case," said Rev. Klahr.

The daycare issued a letter to parents on Tuesday morning designed to calm some of those fears.

Klahr says approximately 120-children are enrolled in the daycare.

By the end of the week, state official expect to have the test results they need to determine if the case is confirmed or not.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/44357922.html

~~~~~

Slowly the number grows, when a lot of the public has already "switched off" their attention...

Not surprising.

:(

Slowly the number grows, when a lot of the public has already "switched off" their attention...

Not surprising. :(

Not surprising cuz we're a whole nation of Attention Deficit folks.... :shrug:

MtRider [MrsS member are the exception of course :) ]

I've found this thread completely fascinating.

A friend of mine is on the list for local CDC reporting. She said that the CDC is now labeling this flu 'no worse than other years' flus' and that the extreme scare has been for nothing. The few cases WA had never resulted in any reported deaths directly related to the flu. The child who died was already dying from something else (some sort of terminal disease), but the media didn't report that.

She went further and said that WA has stepped down the emergency and response level, telling people to go on about their daily lives.

What's the deal?

It makes me wonder if this was a media scare or a ploy to get people up on more than a week's food in the pantry, or a 'test' for further government interactions.

I've gotten more calls this week for sub teaching than I have ALL YEAR. The teacher's weren't sick, there wasn't a in-service day or a educational conference. They didn't want to go into work because of the possible flu scare.

Now...ask me if I'm stepping down my preps? Ummm. No. If anything, I've been using this as an opprotunity to fill in holes. I realized that I didn't have some OTC meds that would be useful, I was low on probiotics, some herbs we take regularly, and that I did NOT have a huge bucket for laundry. (I did however, have enough ingredients to make soap for at least a year. B) )

And in this 'filling in holes' I somehow got on a list for baby items. I had several coupons for baby wash, diaper ointment, teething tabs, etc. that were expiring. So, I added them to my stash as well.

It's also made me take a look at my purse - it's too small. I can get what I need to be out for an afternoon, but nothing beyond that. DH is trying to get me to carry a flashlight, some wipies, a small first aid kit. My thought is "criminy, it's going to be SO HUGE...", but then I was looking at some of the tiny MOLLE (sp?) bags and realized that I could make something suited just for me. :) Nice. ;)

So, while I'm not scared about the flu and the government's response to it, all this hub-ub really makes me re-think going to the movies this Friday. :wacko:

P.S. I've also been reading at this blog, a 'possible scenario' which deals with the panflu concept in a very interesting way.

http://awilltosurvive.blogspot.com

Indiana reports 13 new swine flu cases

Associated Press - May 6, 2009 4:54 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - State health officials have confirmed 13 new cases of swine flu, boosting Indiana's total to 28 cases of the virus.

The new cases announced Wednesday are seven cases in Marion County, four in Lake County and one each in Porter and Madison counties.

The added cases leave Marion County with 14 cases followed by Lake County's seven cases and St. Joseph County's two cases, both of them in University of Notre Dame students. Hendricks, Madison, Porter, Putnam and Tippecanoe counties each have one confirmed case.

State Health Commissioner Dr. Judy Monroe said Tuesday that although the swine flu virus is proving less severe than feared, it should not taken lightly. She says an average of 36,000 people die from influenza during regular flu season each year.

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=10315928

• 2 weeks later...

Archived