MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Masks

westbrook

Most of the threads are buried and with so many new people here, old links may not work, I thought it was time to bring up this subject again.

So Masks revisited!

in reading Yahoo news it says

Q: In Mexico, officials are handing out face masks. Do I need one?

A: The CDC says there's not good evidence that masks really help outside of health care settings. It's safer just to avoid close contact with someone who's sick and avoid crowded gatherings in places where swine flu is known to be spreading. But if you can't do that, CDC guidelines say it's OK to consider a mask — just don't let it substitute for good precautions.

Now does the first sentence make sense? really.... 'no good evidence that masks really help outside of health care settings'

um about as much evidence as it working in close contact with someone sick!

People please use common sense when you read this 'crap' I wonder about the reporter.. and please remember it is a "reporter" reporting... but as a child reporters reported news... with as little personal feelings in it as possible.. today.. a reporter can add their personal opinions!!!!

This reporter needs to be fired for this statement! how many people will read this and NOT wear protection? catch this flu and die and we will never know it was because this reporter didn't research and opened mouth and this crap fell out. Am I mad.. you bet! because innocents believe this ....

and now this... 'It's safer just to avoid close contact with someone who's sick and avoid crowded gatherings in places where swine flu is known to be spreading.'

well no Sheet Sherlock!!!! however, if the swine flu is known to be spreading those people should be isolated and not running around in crowded places! this reporter thinks we all have a sub-IQ far less then theirs so they want to make sure we avoid close contact with someone that might have the flu! Oh brother! this reporter needs to get over them selves and get out into the real world.

So Do Not shop! do not go to work, do not go to the kids games! Wear a mask if you feel the need! will it help of course it will!!! but.. please be sure to use eye protection. A sneeze can infect you through your eyes.

and lastly... "But if you can't do that, CDC guidelines say it's OK to consider a mask — just don't let it substitute for good precautions"

huh? the first two sentences are irrelevant! and half of the last sentence!

ok should be written like this... The CDC Guidelines says to consider a mask when going out into a crowd but make sure you use precautions like washing hands or using alcohol based lotions and try to wear eye protection too.

I am not going to pick apart her entire article.. some is a huh? other is well duh!

from yahoo news.

I edited the entire article out to get to the meat of the subject.. Masks!

I am posting a youtube link to show how ingenious some can be! while the song may be offensive.. turn down the sound and just watch.

I am not advocating this is a good thing or this will work, this is to show people are thinking.

but then again..... in a pinch... it is a great idea!

Masks for Protection Against Pandemic Flu 1918

first study on wearing masks

Face masks fight the flu

I am not sure why there are so many nay sayers about mask wearing and the spreading of a virus.

seems to me, if everyone has one on, those that cough and sneeze do it in the mask.

If I have one on and someone coughs or sneezes, the mask gets the spray or droplets and even if it is only 50% effective... that is better then nothing.

Of course wash your hands... that sort of goes without saying. I do think eye protection is necessary as the eyes can all infect us just as the nose and mouth.

Masks are disappearing off the shelves! the masks N95 are only good for so many hours... we need to find an alternative.

I have been researching how to make masks.

How about cloth mask? One of my aides came to work with a cloth mask from China (for allergies). It actually fits closer to the face...but, would it be effective against swine flu?

Westbrook,

I saw an article on my Compast web page. I don't know if it is the same as the one you saw. The writer of the article said that the masks the government was giving out really wasn't the right kind to protect people. They didn't even say what kind would! I thought that was irresponsible.

Now the un-imformed will dismiss an important prep item that could have protected them.

I am working on the information I have gathered. Getting the the stuff that is non related.

Please post what you find.. anything because our lives may depend on it.

Many points have been mentioned so far [from several threads now]. They include:

-- masks worn in surgery have basically been for the protection of the patient...if you think you have something, wear a mask for sure! It will limit the spread by DROPLET contact.

-- bacteria is microscopic and virus is VERY MUCH smaller than bacteria. [influenza is viral] If the pores in the material are larger than the virus...or if the gaping around a poorly fitted mask is larger than the virus, you do not have 100% protection.

--mask protection for the wearer will be fairly effective against DROPLET CONTACT [that's the 3-6' range mentioned] but not against airborne transmission=aerosol=hangs-in-the-air and moves with the currents including in ventilation systems of large buildings.

--if someone is spraying droplets around, contact with those newly-splattered surfaces will also give you contact if you then touch your face. [wearing mask will remind you not to touch your face!]

That said, is 80%, 50%, 20% better than 0%??? Of course. But one should not then act like they have 100% protection and neglect the other safeguards like 1) voluntary isolation, 2) neurotic handwashing & possibly wearing gloves 3) keeping hands away from face, 4) protective eyewear if appropriate.

MtRider [wellllll, was that any help? still looking for data too. :shrug: ]

There is so much controversy as to whether masks work for the flu or not. I think it is a personal choice if you choose to wear one or not. I am not going to tell you that ‘you should wear one’ or to say ‘they don’t work’. I am not an expert, I just know that it is something that I consider important as part of my flu supplies.

I will tell you why I have incorporated them into my plans. In any infectious disease ward what do the nurses and doctors wear? Masks! Some even wear a full face shield and if it is really, really bad they wear suits. Well the latter is a bit much for the flu virus so I hope you don’t mind I skip that method... but we certainly can discus it for wearing in sick rooms.

If someone is sneezing or coughing I want protection from their spray, if I am coughy and sneezy, I need to be considerate of others and wear a mask or at the very least, carry tissues. Not sneezing or coughing in your hand will help to contain this virus since you then open a door or push a cart with those same hands you just sneezed or coughed in… just as others do. Coughing or sneezing in the crook of your arm is now the correct way to sneeze or cough.

I believe that with certain precautions we can mitigate the impact of this virus. Wearing a Mask, wearing Gloves, Wiping or Spraying shopping carts with a disinfectant, use Purell or GermX or similar hand washing gel that can be used anywhere to name just a few.

Will I look odd and out of place wearing a mask when a pandemic is announced? Do I care?

Since this is a dynamic situation and things are changing on a hourly basis, the news media is playing on the sensationalism of the moment, we must stand rooted in our logic and not panic. Watching the news and monitoring what is going on is great and should be done, but to run to the store and panic shop may not be the best way to shop. Panic buying as we have seen in the past, hurricanes comes to mind puts potato chips in a shopping cart when water and cans of soup were still plentiful.

Make a list of those OTC (over the counter) meds you normally buy. Look around at sites that talk about lists for the flu and logically pick and choose what fits your needs. If someone says ‘you have to go get that whizbang $62 thermometer’ sure they are great, stick in the ear and in 3 seconds the temperature is registered… is it necessary? No. So some logic needs to be applied.

Now let me get back to the topic, Masks.

Many of us will go out to get those N95 masks only to find them sold out. We go on line to find they take our orders but there is a back order (be sure to check before ordering on line that they have them). There are other masks that are more expensive that will still be available but perhaps a bit out of your price range for a virus!

I have gathered information on how to make your own but I need to put in disclaimers…. Throughout the information!!!!

I have gone out on the net and gathered this information. I have no idea how well these will work, logic says pretty good but… I am using my logic and you need to rely on yours!

Homemade masks can be washed, sprayed with Lysol, bleached, used over and over again. Will these homemade masks stop the virus? I just don’t know.

I want you to look at this information, links, photos and do your own research, what I am giving should be a stepping stone, a running start if you will at this subject.

I believe anything that prevents people from sneezing and coughing on me and around me and passing their germs is better than nothing.

I am working on putting this information together. Just posting links that may disappear a year from now is heartbreaking when that information is so important. I want to do some copying and pasting but eliminating the non-relevant information so when looked on 5 years later and the link has gone down, the pertinent information is still there.

Please understand that I am not an expert in masks!

If you find links or other information, know more about this subject, don't hold back! no matter if you think we know something you know.. post it anyway!!!! please. It may be something we don't know, may be something someone knew and forgot.. what we need is a brainstoming conversation on this subject!!!

We have to be our own research team! it may mean we live.

let me start with face shields. These aren't being talked about but I like them.

face shields.

Use the clear sheets for overhead projectors. They don’t have to be cut down. Get some foam, firm 1 in thick x 1 1/2 in wide. Drill or cut holes in foam 1/2 in diameter and super glue it to the long edge of the clear sheet. Staple elastic to each end to fit your head size and voila one face shield. I would also use cling film to cover the clear sheet, in and outside, so after use you just dump the cling film and not the face shield . The holes in the foam are to stop the face plate fogging. from: http://www.avianflutalk.com

Note: I hope they don’t mind too much I am sharing their information here. It is too valuable not to share.

We should get good protection using a shield with a mask underneath

Just heard from a health dept RN that they were fitted with special masks last year. Had to travel to another county to get fitted. Today they were advised to know where their mask is.

The N95 masks are required by OSHA to be fit tested every year. They do have a smaller pore size that isn't supposed to allow a virus to enter. If the masks aren't fitted properly, there will be air spaces around the face that allow particles to enter. We have 3 different styles in use where I work, only one type will be effective for me. People with facial hair are told not to use the N95s, you can't get a proper seal. That being said however, we had an update today (from CDC or our State Dept of Health, no longer recall who, I've been swimming in swine flu since last Friday), it said they'd "waive" the fitting requirement during a pandemic situation. No explanaition given. I can only guess some protection is better than none.

The masks that are being given away are regular surgical masks, effective for droplet precautions. They give those away because they are cheap compared to the other masks. And again, I suspect because somethig is better than nothing. Just remember to do hand hygiene (soap and water or hand sanitizers), and don't touch your face.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/celebs/7935/designer-face-masks/

designer face masks... interesting, leather, charcoal, cotton... hummmm

now this is interesting... filters - paper? hummmmm

A Fashionable Barrier Between You & The Avian Flu

The intended purpose of the mask is to protect the wearer from allergens, pollens and airborne microbes/contaminants that could be detrimental to the individual’s health. The mask also filters unpleasant odors as well as providing a glove like barrier for the respiratory system in cold weather.

The mask may be washed based on personal hygiene needs, and the extent of ones own personal ENT excretions. It is recommended that the mask be hand-washed in a mild detergent and air-dried. Replacement would also be based on hygiene and careful maintenance. When visible deterioration of the sewn in filter becomes apparent the mask should be replaced. A person of normal facial excretions, proper care, and regular disposable filer replacement could expect to use the mask on a regular basis for 1 year or longer.

**Remember**

“An Ounce Of Prevention – Is Worth A Pound Of Cure!”

Information provided here is in no way intended to replace proper medical advice/help. It is not for diagnostic or prescriptive use nor intended to be an assurance to prevent illnesses. Prior to use consult with the health authorities of your choice.

http://www.enviroairmask.com/bird_flu_mask.html

I keep seeing videos and pics from Mexico of people wearing the mask below the nose. This was taught in 1918 (I saw a film of nurses being instructed to uncover the nostrils) but don't people know better now?

I touch my face often. A mask would be useful to remind me not to do that.

http://pandemicchronicle.com/2007/03/a-hom...-actually-work/

05-1468_b.jpg

A Hanes Heavyweight 100% preshrunk cotton T-shirt (made in Honduras) (http://www.hanesprintables.com/Globals/Faq.aspx) was boiled for 10 minutes and air-dried to maximize shrinkage and sterilize the material in a manner available in developing countries. A scissor, marker, and ruler were used to cut out 1 outer layer (?37 × 72 cm) and 8 inner layers (<18 cm2). The mask was assembled and fitted as shown in the Figure.

more read the site

There are basically two kinds of face masks: loose-fitting surgical or medical masks made of soft, thin cloth that sell for pennies apiece, and form-fitting masks, also known as N-95 respirators, made of spun plastic fibers that filter small particles. They sell for a few dollars each.

The surgical masks are generally used to protect other people from the cough spray of the wearer, Schaffner said. The respirators are designed to filter 95 percent of tiny particles, including influenza viruses.

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/04/29/2...-dont-bet-on-it

there is a lot more at the site but I am pulling the specs ... well sort of specs.

Masks

"Once they get moist, they are no longer useful," Mascola said. "Your saliva is going to be pooling in that mask. That will make is not useful because germs will be able to permeate."

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci...story?track=rss

have several!

About the method that lady from Mexico described, soaking bandana in melted petrolum jelly; I first checked if any flammable issues (coating process) but also found medical article stating if particles of petrolatum are inhaled from the nose, they may deposit in the lungs and lead to a condition called lipid pneumonia. :shrug:

Masks: Should I buy some?

You may want to consider using face masks in a pandemic. Face masks aren't a silver bullet and scientific studies regarding a mask's benefit during a pandemic situation are unclear. However, common sense tells us masks might help if used correctly along with other protective measures like avoiding crowds, hand washing, covering your cough, staying away from sick people and staying home if you're sick.

Masks are currently recommended for healthcare providers to prevent exposure to respiratory infections. State health officials say anyone who chooses to wear a mask may reduce the risk of contracting a virus.

There are three types of masks:

N95 – This type of mask reduces exposure to airborne particles. A mask with a N95 rating is designed to filter extremely small infectious particles that float through the air (airborne spread). A N95 mask is used to prevent diseases that travel this way, like tuberculosis.

***Healthcare workers who rely on this type of mask to prevent occupational exposure to disease are advised to undergo “fit testing” to ensure a secure fit. Facial hair and variations in facial features may prevent a snug fit.

Surgical Masks – Surgical masks, which are usually used in surgery, help protect against larger particles, called droplets. Droplets are produced when people infected with certain bacteria or viruses cough, sneeze, or spit into the air.

Droplets are too large to travel very far and can settle on surfaces. Droplets sometimes stay alive for several hours and can make you sick if you touch the surface and then touch your mouth, nose, or eyes. Keeping surfaces clean and frequently washing your hands can prevent this. A surgical mask may also help prevent you from touching your mouth or nose.

Surgical masks offer protection against droplets that can transmit respiratory viruses. However, surgical masks may not adequately protect against airborne particles, primarily because they allow for leakage around the mask.

Homemade Mask – Dry T-shirt or bath towel folded twice (4 layers thick) may offer some protection against droplets.

For masks to work properly, a snug fit is important. The mask should fit tightly around the mouth and nose. Some experts recommend taping the edges of the mask to the face.

***A new report from the Institute of Medicine says people shouldn’t reuse disposable masks because there isn’t a simple, reliable way to decontaminate them. Masks should be worn only once and then thrown away.

Masks are not recommended for people with breathing problems.

Flu can be spread by airborne particles but it’s usually spread by droplets. At this point no one knows how a pandemic flu virus (a new virus that spreads easily from person-to-person) will spread because there isn’t any pandemic flu in the world right now. If a new flu virus emerges and is spreading person-to-person, public health officials will study it, determine how it spreads and how you can protect yourself.

http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/pandemic/preparing.htm

This isn't about making masks, but it's a 2008 study which is pretty convincing masks should be in our preps

Even cheap masks stop flu spreading

Monday, 31 March 2008 Helen Carter

ABC

r236210_950858.jpgSurgical masks like this stop the flu virus from spreading, prompting calls for infected people to wear face protection when they leave the house (Source: iStockphoto)

Related Stories

Normal surgical masks help prevent people with the flu from spreading the virus just as well as more expensive face protection, a study shows for the first time.

Australian researchers found that in a real-life situation surgical masks effectively contain the virus when infected people cough.

Previous studies tested masks in laboratories using machines, not humans, and with non-infectious particles, says co-author Professor Lindsay Grayson, director of infectious diseases at Melbourne's Austin Hospital.

"Our study compared the value of masks for the first time in a real-life clinical situation, in people with flu," Grayson says.

Fellow researcher, infectious diseases registrar Dr Doug Johnson, will present findings at the Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases annual scientific meeting on the Sunshine Coast this week.

The study compared routine surgical masks with the more expensive and uncomfortable N95 masks, which are made from finer material.

Johnson recruited 28 people who presented to emergency with suspected flu; nine with confirmed influenza A or B continued in the study.

Most arrived about two days into the illness at their sickest and most contagious.

Participants coughed onto Petri dishes wearing no mask, a surgical mask and an N95 mask. Dishes were 10 centimetres away, about the same as lying near a coughing person or a sick child coughing into a parent's face.

Both masks work

No influenza virus was detected when participants wore the surgical or N95 mask but influenza was detected on all dishes when no mask was worn.

"Using this method, both masks appear to work equally as well because there was no detectable virus on the dishes. The material of both masks stopped droplets escaping," Grayson says.

"Although small, this study suggests that it doesn't matter whether people with flu wear a surgical or N95 mask, it's likely to prevent transmission of the virus, meaning less infection of healthcare workers and relatives.

"We can apply findings to bird flu and say it won't get through because avian flu is the same size virus. So, preliminary evidence is supportive at least for infected people wearing masks."

If you have the flu

He suggests doctors' surgeries have signs asking patients who think they have flu to advise staff and receive a mask to wear in the waiting room. He also suggests people at home with the flu wear masks when going out.

Austin patients hospitalised with flu will now wear surgical instead of N95 masks when leaving their single room for tests, Grayson says.

Findings strengthen the rationale for recommendations that patients in hospital with flu and healthcare workers treating them wear masks.

Grayson says US and Australian guidelines recommend N95 masks for bird flu based on laboratory evidence but it is hard for health workers to wear them for lengthy periods and their supply is limited.

UK guidelines recommend surgical masks for bird flu for practical reasons, he says.http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/200.../31/2202190.htm

great article! thanks! we need more information which helps me in talking about alternative fabrics such as cotton or knit.. heck coffee filters even!

I am just so concerned about talking about making our own masks.. I hate for anyone to think I know what I am talking about!!!!!

sewing I know.. fabric I know.. virus's and sewing and fabric? my best guess?

For a discussion on the difference between surgical masks and respirator masks and their proper uses, go here: http://www.tasco-safety.com/respirators/bi...lu-info-03.html

Another thing to remember is that the respirator masks and surgical masks that are made with filters get "used up"--there is a limited amount of time you can use them. You can't use a disposable N95 mask or a filtered surgical mask longer than the recommended time or you may have breathing problems. Also, people with asthma, or other breathing problems may not even be able to use the masks.

People with facial hair will have more trouble getting a decent seal on the masks.

And, finally, in Japan, during the SARS outbreak there, women used bra cups and turned them into masks by cutting the bras in half and sewing ties to the bra cups to tie around the face.. Although these were not filtered like the N95 masks and weren't even going to keep out the virus, many wore these because they felt it was better than nothing. I saw this last night, forgot to save the link. I thought of Westie's thread here and pictured all of us trying to make masks out of our bras! However...NOW I am looking for companies that sell the filter material that goes into these surgical masks--because if we can buy some of this, we may be able to at least make the flat face mask type things at home. I'm asking some of my old sources in the contamination control industry if it's possible for people to get this material and sew masks at home. They are intrigued by the question...we might get an answer...or they will just think I"m nuts. (well they thought that. anyway...HA)

Masks: Should I buy some?

You may want to consider using face masks in a pandemic. Face masks aren't a silver bullet and scientific studies regarding a mask's benefit during a pandemic situation are unclear. However, common sense tells us masks might help if used correctly along with other protective measures like avoiding crowds, hand washing, covering your cough, staying away from sick people and staying home if you're sick.

Masks are currently recommended for healthcare providers to prevent exposure to respiratory infections. State health officials say anyone who chooses to wear a mask may reduce the risk of contracting a virus.

There are three types of masks:

N95 – This type of mask reduces exposure to airborne particles. A mask with a N95 rating is designed to filter extremely small infectious particles that float through the air (airborne spread). A N95 mask is used to prevent diseases that travel this way, like tuberculosis.

***Healthcare workers who rely on this type of mask to prevent occupational exposure to disease are advised to undergo “fit testing” to ensure a secure fit. Facial hair and variations in facial features may prevent a snug fit.

Surgical Masks – Surgical masks, which are usually used in surgery, help protect against larger particles, called droplets. Droplets are produced when people infected with certain bacteria or viruses cough, sneeze, or spit into the air.

Droplets are too large to travel very far and can settle on surfaces. Droplets sometimes stay alive for several hours and can make you sick if you touch the surface and then touch your mouth, nose, or eyes. Keeping surfaces clean and frequently washing your hands can prevent this. A surgical mask may also help prevent you from touching your mouth or nose.

Surgical masks offer protection against droplets that can transmit respiratory viruses. However, surgical masks may not adequately protect against airborne particles, primarily because they allow for leakage around the mask.

Homemade Mask – Dry T-shirt or bath towel folded twice (4 layers thick) may offer some protection against droplets.

For masks to work properly, a snug fit is important. The mask should fit tightly around the mouth and nose. Some experts recommend taping the edges of the mask to the face.

***A new report from the Institute of Medicine says people shouldn’t reuse disposable masks because there isn’t a simple, reliable way to decontaminate them. Masks should be worn only once and then thrown away.

Masks are not recommended for people with breathing problems.

Flu can be spread by airborne particles but it’s usually spread by droplets. At this point no one knows how a pandemic flu virus (a new virus that spreads easily from person-to-person) will spread because there isn’t any pandemic flu in the world right now. If a new flu virus emerges and is spreading person-to-person, public health officials will study it, determine how it spreads and how you can protect yourself.

Eye Protection: Do I need it?

Eye protection is also something you may want to consider during a pandemic. Once again, the scientific studies regarding how much, if any, flu viruses are transmitted by droplets entering through the eye is unclear. However, eye protection is recommended for healthcare providers in high-exposure situations.

Anyone else who chooses to wear eye protection may reduce the risk of contracting a virus.

Goggles - Appropriately fitted, indirectly-vented goggles may provide the most reliable eye protection from splashes, sprays and respiratory droplets. Many styles of goggles fit over prescription glasses with minimal gaps. However, goggles must fit snugly, particularly from the corners of the eye across the brow.

Safety Glasses – Generally shouldn’t be used for infection control purposes.

What about contact lens wearers?

Contact lenses, by themselves, offer no infection control protection. However, contact lenses may be worn with any of the recommended eye protection devices.

http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/pandemic/preparing.htm

face-masks worn by the general public or by patients.

Respiratory infections such as influenza are transmitted through infectious particles, small enough to be suspended in air [1]. Influenza transmission can occur via large droplets, which only remain suspended in the air for a short period of time thus requiring close contact, and can occur via small airborne particles, which remain suspended in air for considerable longer periods of time, and can thus be transmitted over larger distances [2]. Furthermore, some transmission may occur via direct contact with respiratory secretions such as on hands and surfaces [2].

The protective effect of masks is created through a combined effect of the transmission blocking potential of the material, the fit and related air leakage of the mask, and the degree of adherence to proper wearing and disposal of masks.

surgical masks, as commonly worn in the operating theatre, are primarily used to protect the environment from the respiratory droplets produced by the wearer. With these masks, facial fit is much looser. The fit of home made masks, which could be e.g. made of a tea cloth or other comparable material available in the home, is likely to be even looser.

All types of masks provided a much higher degree of exposure protection against inward transmission of particles, then in preventing outward transmission by a mechanical head as a proxy for an infected patient exposing the environment.

It is also clear that home-made masks such as teacloths may still confer a significant degree of protection, albeit less strong than surgical masks or FFP2 masks. Home made masks however would not suffer from limited supplies, and would not need additional resources to provide at large scale. Home made masks, and to a lesser degree surgical masks, are unlikely to confer much protection against transmission of small particles like droplet nuclei, but as the reproduction number of influenza may not be very high [14] a small reduction in transmissibility of the virus may be sufficient for reducing the reproduction number to a value smaller than 1 and thus extinguishing the epidemic [15]. Greater reduction in transmissibility may be achieved if transmission is predominantly carried by larger droplets. In a typical human cough half of the droplets may be small (<10 µm), but these comprise only a small fraction (2.5*10−6) of the expelled volume [12]. Smaller droplets may however more easily penetrate the smaller bronchi and be more effective in transmission [1]. A more detailed analysis of aerosol and droplet inoculation and infectivity may provide better insight into the impact of either transmission mode on population spread.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=2440799

Archived