MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

home dairy

pegsol

Hi All, I have finally gotten my cow well and am getting 2-3 gallons of milk per day from her. I have made mozzarella cheese, ricotta, soft cheese and butter so far. I wonder if anyone knows where I can obtain rennet and citric acid in large quantities for a good price. I am really going through my stock quickly. I want to stock up on cheese making supplies. Also has anyone ever made rennet from animal stomach? I have a butcher across the road from me and could possibly have a supply of calf stomach close by. May sound gross to some of you, sorry. Been out in the country for awhile now. Thank you for any help.

You can dry the cow stomach and just break off bits when you need them. Easy.

www.cheesemaking.com - I LOVE Rikki's site. Not sure if it's the cheapest, but that's where I order all of my cheese supplies.

Actually, rennet is a little more complicated than that. I did a long post about it a long time ago, and now I find that much of it isn't there any more, in two website/program moves. :huh:

It's going to take me a little time to locate it in my personal archive. And if I can't find it, I'll re-research it and post.

I've even heard of a "fig-based" "rennet".

Hang in there a bit longer...

:bighug2:

Ahhh, you sent me on a journey... :pc_coffee: I have tried to find every thread on rennet and cheese-making at Mrs S, and put them all together in one place so everyone can find them.

Every link in this group of threads should work, too! ;)

Here ya go!!

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0#entry290778

Great stuff!

:)

Archived