MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We are at *5/6* level???????

Cat

Well shoot Cat...they snuck that right in didn't they??? Probably so they wouldn't stampede the sheep. I am NOT liking where this is all leading! There are not that many cases in the US right now, so I have to ask, what are they seeing or what do they know that would make them jump the rating up like this??? I'm out to the store now, and will go tomorrow and then maybe we can stay in until the lull between waves.

Q

Poo!

And me without a car!

As soon as somebody gets home from work, I'm hitting the store for more luxury items like fresh milk, butter and sour cream. We pretty much have everything else.

I sure wish I had put in another order for my vitamins instead of waiting for a better coupon.

I'm working on my "honey do list" in case the family has to stay home. The one bright spot in this whole mess is that I'd have several bored people sitting around the house dying for something to do! Maybe we can get the new coop built!!

got to working on fences and lost track of time, sitting to rehydrate before getting ready for school so this will be brief...

Leaders of the World....

"Say what you mean and mean what you say!"

stop opening your mouth and crap comes out! swallow first, think, then speak!

I believe this 5/6 is a direct reflection on our dear VP Bidden. He is an idiot! his answer to the question "what would you tell your family?"

'I would tell them not to fly and stay home'

now really how is the WHO supposed to that?

I would ask what was Bidden thinking but.. we already know he wasn't!!!!

However, (hey Rita.. but you didn't think I was gonna say that did you! <smile>) is this statement by Bidden a Freudian slip?

Are things really worse then we are being led to believe? or is Bidden that stupid?

drat... I am an hour behind schedule! gotta jump in shower and go...

5/6 indeed!

ok, we are now at 5.5 or 5-1/2

when do we get to 5-3/4?

5-7/8?

5-15/16?

Sssssssiiiiiiiii.................

I did, and I even went back & checked it again. There is no mention of a LEVEL 6. There is an UPDATE 6, but no change in level of the alert.

"Influenza A(H1N1) - update 6

30 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 17:00 GMT, 30 April 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 257 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 97 confirmed human cases of infection, including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (19), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Related links

Influenza A(H1N1) web site

Daily updates will be posted on this site. "

I understand that but the text just above the chart is saying 5. It is rumoured that it may go to 6 today but AS OF YET it is at 5.

"Current WHO phase of pandemic alert

Current phase of alert in the WHO global influenza preparedness plan

Pandemic preparedness

In the 2009 revision of the phase descriptions, WHO has retained the use of a six-phased approach for easy incorporation of new recommendations and approaches into existing national preparedness and response plans. The grouping and description of pandemic phases have been revised to make them easier to understand, more precise, and based upon observable phenomena. Phases 1–3 correlate with preparedness, including capacity development and response planning activities, while Phases 4–6 clearly signal the need for response and mitigation efforts. Furthermore, periods after the first pandemic wave are elaborated to facilitate post pandemic recovery activities.

The current WHO phase of pandemic alert is 5.

Pandemic influenza phases

In nature, influenza viruses circulate continuously among animals, especially birds. Even though such viruses might theoretically develop into pandemic viruses, in Phase 1 no viruses circulating among animals have been reported to cause infections in humans.

In Phase 2 an animal influenza virus circulating among domesticated or wild animals is known to have caused infection in humans, and is therefore considered a potential pandemic threat.

In Phase 3, an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus has caused sporadic cases or small clusters of disease in people, but has not resulted in human-to-human transmission sufficient to sustain community-level outbreaks. Limited human-to-human transmission may occur under some circumstances, for example, when there is close contact between an infected person and an unprotected caregiver. However, limited transmission under such restricted circumstances does not indicate that the virus has gained the level of transmissibility among humans necessary to cause a pandemic.

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

During the post-peak period, pandemic disease levels in most countries with adequate surveillance will have dropped below peak observed levels. The post-peak period signifies that pandemic activity appears to be decreasing; however, it is uncertain if additional waves will occur and countries will need to be prepared for a second wave.

Previous pandemics have been characterized by waves of activity spread over months. Once the level of disease activity drops, a critical communications task will be to balance this information with the possibility of another wave. Pandemic waves can be separated by months and an immediate “at-ease” signal may be premature.

In the post-pandemic period, influenza disease activity will have returned to levels normally seen for seasonal influenza. It is expected that the pandemic virus will behave as a seasonal influenza A virus. At this stage, it is important to maintain surveillance and update pandemic preparedness and response plans accordingly. An intensive phase of recovery and evaluation may be required. "

Actually the level 5/6 was adopted before this flu came out. I'm not sure exactly when it was but I suppose a person could find out. The "update" is number six. If you will noticed there is a 1 through 5 there as well. The "Alert" level is still at five but I suspect that will change very soon now.

It's really a mute point except that it gives countries a go ahead to do their "thing" which includes funds to DO those things. According to the criteria they set themselves, we are already at alert level 6. They have to have an official meeting though to discuss it all and to get a consensus and etc. before they will give it the final say-so.

:bighug2:

Exactly,

5 and 6 were never lumped together before. Now suddenly 5 is grouped with 6. No distinction between the two. I guess they were afraid to wake up the sheeple by announcing it was at 6. Pulling the wool over their eyes I guess.

From the sidebar on the link debi posted:

"CURRENT PHASE

Current level of influenza pandemic alert raised from phase 4 to 5

29 April 2009

More information on WHO phases of pandemic alert

HIGHLIGHT

Frequently asked questions MEDIA CONTACTS

Swine influenza media contact:

+41 22 7912222

More media contacts

RSS FEEDS

Swine influenza

Other WHO news via RSS and instructions"

And from theirn homepage:

"

Highlights

30 April 2009 -- From today, WHO will refer to the new influenza virus as influenza A(H1N1).

Influenza pandemic alert raised from phase 4 to 5

29 April 2009 -- Based on assessment of all available information and following several expert consultations, Dr Margaret Chan, WHO's Director-General raised the current level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to 5. She stated that all countries should immediately activate their pandemic preparedness plans. At this stage, effective and essential measures include heightened surveillance, early detection and treatment of cases, and infection control in all health facilities.

Statement by WHO Director-General

Full coverage of influenza A(H1N1) "

There is no mention of a level 6 on their site as of yet.

Actually the level 5/6 was adopted before this flu came out. I'm not sure exactly when it was but I suppose a person could find out. The "update" is number six. If you will noticed there is a 1 through 5 there as well. The "Alert" level is still at five but I suspect that will change very soon now.

It's really a mute point except that it gives countries a go ahead to do their "thing" which includes funds to DO those things. According to the criteria they set themselves, we are already at alert level 6. They have to have an official meeting though to discuss it all and to get a consensus and etc. before they will give it the final say-so.

:bighug2:

TY Mother, that was the impression I was under. To simplify the cahrt they were lumping them together.

Ok Im not sure .. but Im not apparently reading the same things you guys are reading.. THe website that cat first put up here clearly states that

The current WHO phase of pandemic alert is 5.

Its on a scale of 6 yes.. but we are only at a 5.

OR they figure that the more CONFUSING they make it, the better off the world is... <_<

Yanno, I'm just starting to get mad... :angry:

Is that what normally follows worried?????

:lol:

LOL, goober ((Cat))

I'm a Goober, veildance.gif

He's a Goober, stpatdancer.gif

She's a Goober, dancegirl2.gif

We're all Goobers, hapydancsmil.gif xother_partyhat4.gif sci_fjoll.gif pluppar.gif hulasmiley.gif xspace_bluestar.gif hexer.gif xanimal_gsnake1.gif xanimal_pingdancet1.gif splumfairysmile2.gif slowdance.gif

Wouldn't you like to be a Goober, too? dancebear.gif

Be a GOOBER! discosmiley.gif

:happy0203:

Archived