MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

N95 Masks Are Useless at Protecting Wearers from Swine Flu

CoM

http://www.naturalnews.com/026160.html

Whateverrrrrr, I am still gonna use my masks if it comes here!

When it comes to infectious disease, preparedness is good. But ill-informed preparedness is a waste of time and resources, and there's a lot of ill-informed preparedness going on right now with the swine flu.

Case in point: All those people buying N95 masks (respirators).

They think wearing a mask protects them from swine flu. The mainstream media perpetuates the myth, broadcasting images of people wearing the masks, all while talking about people "protecting themselves" from swine flu. If it wasn't a potentially life-and-death situation, it would all be quite hilarious.

But let me ask you a question: Have you ever had surgery or visited a surgery room? Did you ever notice that the surgeons and medical staff are all wearing surgical masks that are very similar to the N95 face masks being used by people afraid of swine flu?

Did you ever wonder WHY they are wearing those masks? Here's the question: Are they wearing those masks to protect themselves from the patient's germs? Of course not! They're wearing those masks to prevent their own germs from infecting the patient!

N95 masks, you see, have but one purpose: To prevent the wearer from infecting others. To use blunt medical terminology, they work by preventing snot, spit or other virus-carrying particles from becoming airborne. Thus, if the wearer sneezes, coughs, drools, spits or talks excitedly, his or her infected fluids will be trapped in the mask and will not infect others.

N95 masks have virtually no ability to protect the wearer from other people's airborne germs.

If it's not air-tight, it's not right!

This should be obvious by simply noticing that N95 masks are not air-tight! When you inhale while wearing such a face mask, the air you're inhaling enters through the gaps on the sides of the mask, completely bypassing the mask filtration system.

This is why -- duh! -- level 4 biohazard scientists don't waltz into their labs wearing N95 face masks. If they did, they would die. Since they don't want to die, they don't depend on N95 respirators.

So all those people planning on wearing N95 face masks are kidding themselves. That's what I mean about ill-informed preparedness. It's almost worse than no preparedness at all because it gives people a false sense of security.

I've gone to great lengths to put together honest, accurate information about preparedness strategies that really work. That information is provided in my "Swine Flu Advanced Preparedness Teleconference" found here: http://www.naturalnews.com/026139.html (Once the teleconference is over, the audio recording will be offered as a sensibly-priced download, by the way.)

In that teleconference, I emphasize why people need to invest in an air-tight face mask (also known as a "gas mask"), and I teach you how to quickly check to make sure it's air tight. It's a simple process known by anyone who has ever been in the military:

1) Put the face mask on and tighten the straps to a comfortable fit.

2) Inhale and hold your breath.

3) Now attempt to gently pry the facemask off your face using your hands.

If the facemask comes off easily, it wasn't an air-tight fit! If it's more difficult to pry off your face (due to suction), you most likely have an air-tight fit, and you can now move around safely in certain biohazard situations, depending on the rating of the gas mask. (This little test works even better if you can completely block the intake valves temporarily, creating true suction.)

Well drat!

Hmm, I wonder if the respirator I had to wear when I operated a paint booth would work. I can't remember what it was called, but I had to be professionaly fitted for it and also had to get a physical to make sure I could breathe well enough and not suffocate in it. They even did chemical tests with it on me to see if I could smell or taste any chemicals they squirted into the air.

I'll have to check Lowes and see if they sell them. Of course, if I have to wear one of those just to go shopping, I'd rather stay home.

Another example of know your source and don't believe everything you read. The author of article describes themselves as a former high-powered software executive who became interested in natural health and healing after “curing” his own type 2 diabetes. How you ask? By doing exactly what anyone should do. Started taking care of his body, dropped 50 pounds, ate healty food, exercised, and did the stress reduction thing.

Then based on his dramatic and surprising success became a self appointed health expert who endorses various items based on natural medicine/ecology theme. Also writes a large number of health articles. All well and good. But again nothing that isn’t readily known to the average person. Overall a good site. One of his regular readers did call him out on the mask article.

Quote: Health Ranger, you dropped the ball on this one. N 95 RESPIRATORS are VERY different from surgical masks and DO protect the wearer from OTHER PEOPLE'S germs. They ARE designed to protect against agents as small as tuberculosis which is smaller by half than the flu virus. They DO have LIMITED use, as they are hot, not necessarily easy to fit and you can only wear them for about 20 minutes. They are best used in HIGH RISK, FACE TO FACE encounters with ill people. So, while they will not likely protect most people because of 'operator error', they DO protect you from 'other people's germs'- that is IF the flu is even transmitted by inhaling other people's germs- which has never been proven, only inferred.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

this is a respirator mask

http://www.professionalequipment.com/respirator-masks/

do any of these look like the N95 masks you are buying for $4.00? no!

part of the problem is knowing what the words mean.

a paper mask which is what the N95 mask is, is different from an N95 Respirator mask!

a surgical mask isn't an N95 mask!

please, please understand what you are buying!!!

Most Respirator masks will cost you $50 and up.. obviously the more you spend the better the mask. Respirator masks have replaceable filters (90% any way)

N95 mask is a paper filter that is good for X# of hours, once damp from your breath they are no longer as effective as when dry. It has been a long time since I did the research but I think it was like 2-4 hours. Which is why I say to let them dry after spraying with Lysol.. it is a perfect solution? no but should help you extend them for another 2-4 hours. but these masks have a shelf life!

This link (was slow to load for me with DSL) shows an N95 mask from the paint department at your local store and an N95 respirator mask with a replaceable filter.

Please please lets not confuse the two!

Surgical mask...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-surgical-mask.htm

made from paper of fabric. In the case of surgical masks used in a hospital they are throw away or use once masks.

different styles http://medical-uniforms-apparel.medical-su...225/article.asp

now you are somewhat armed with the most common masks, how they work and why.

My take on all of this is protecting yourself with something is better then nothing! ah.. ahh... ahhhh... chew!

NO mask on.. I have sprayed you with my could be flu virus... if you have a mask on... it hits the mask before making it to your nose and mouth. Common sense! perhaps you put your resuable cloth mask in a baggie and put on a fresh one! but no mask you are sure to be infected.

False sense of security? hardly! open spaces, not fit tightly.. hey, in my world I am walking into it, the virus may hit my cheeks if someone coughs and sneezes... so I change masks, put purell on my hands and wipe it on my face... there are ways to deal with this!

a quote from the last link... it is important

"Surgical masks are effective only if worn properly. Surgical masks should be comfortable and completely cover the nose and mouth. The fit should assure there is no tenting at the sides that would allow entry or dispersal of any microbes. There should be a small pliable strip near the bridge of the nose to provide a close fit. They need to be changed frequently and changed anytime they become wet. It is not uncommon to see masks poorly fitted, placed below the nose, or wet with blood or body fluids. When removing surgical masks, only handle by the strings and promptly discard it into a proper waste container. A mask should never be allowed to hang around the neck, nor should it be placed in a pocket for later use – it should either be on or off."

if using a homemade mask, put in a ziplock until you can get home and put it in a lysol or bleach bucket!

THANK YOU, Granny and Westie! That data completely fits the good medical information that's been out there for years. Without basic INFORMED data, we're all just gonna be a bunch of squawking chickens...and INFORMED DATA is what MrsS is all about. Basic terms are important to learn if you wish to be informed. Look at those pictures on Westie's links. There is a LOAD of bad use of terms going on out there. Now you'll know better.

MtRider

Got disposable N95 medical masks in the mail today. I will see if I can rig up my cam and get some pics tomorrow in the daylight, they are preformed masks and fit the face very very well. #1512 N95 Med size masks from masksnmore are what I got. NO air gets in the sides of the mask like this type is made.

Archived