MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is this swine flu really something to worry about?

Teaberry

The CDC and WHO reports seem to be way overblown for what's happening with the current swine flu outbreak. The swine flu alert seems "hyped" so far, and since the media makes money off hype, is anyone surprised? Ron Paul came out acknowledging this. Every year we see much more serious consequences from seasonal flu outbreaks. On average about 36,000 Americans die from flu complications every year.

http://www.planetc1.com/cgi-bin/n/v.cgi?c=...p;id=1241403089

http://www.theroadtothehorizon.org/2009/04...every-year.html

So am I concerned? Yes, but mostly over what may happen come fall. The 1918 flu was mild in the spring, but hit with a vengeance in the fall. Similar to this swine flu, it mostly affected those with healthier immune systems. And this swine flu is a new strain. I am concerned about possible mutations that could happen between now and the fall. I think we're at risk, but we're not at highest risk yet. So I'm not allowing my emotional energy to be spent right now with every media report coming out. I'm listening and paying attention, but I'm pacing myself so that by summer's end, I will have everything it takes to cope fully and effectively.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopNews/id...E5431R520090504

The CDC and WHO reports seem to be way overblown for what's happening with the current swine flu outbreak. The swine flu alert seems "hyped" so far, and since the media makes money off hype, is anyone surprised? Ron Paul came out acknowledging this, and he pointed out that every year we see much more serious consequences from seasonal flu outbreaks. On average about 36,000 Americans die from flu complications every year.

http://www.planetc1.com/cgi-bin/n/v.cgi?c=...p;id=1241403089

http://www.theroadtothehorizon.org/2009/04...every-year.html

So am I concerned? Yes, but mostly over what may happen come fall. The 1918 flu was mild in the spring, but hit with a vengeance in the falll. Similar to this swine flu, it mostly affected those with healthier immune systems. And this swine flu is a new strain. I am concerned about possible mutations that could happen between now and the fall. I think we're at risk, but we're not at highest risk yet. So I'm not allowing my emotional energy to be spent right now with every media report coming out. I'm listening and paying attention, but I'm pacing myself so that by summer's end, I will have everything it takes to cope fully and effectively.

Right there with you, honey. :)

Me, too. I made mention of the fact on another site that VERY FEW have been actually affected, specifically asked how many people actually KNEW someone PERSONALLY who was diagnosed positive for swine flu -- it didn't go over well, to say the least :rolleyes: I think people LIKE to have something to focus on that isn't the economy or politics, occasionally. This makes good media-fodder, sells air time and newspapers, and provides a nice distraction from other, more serious issues.

Do I think there is cause to be concerned? Of course there is! Correlations have been drawn between this and the Spanish flu of 1918, with good reason. I *DO* think that we are in for a nasty flu season next winter, and many people will be ill, and many will die. I absolutely, without question, believe that we are overdue for a pandemic that will greatly impact the entire world population -- nature has ways of controlling infestations, and there are a LOT of people on the planet right now. Is it time to PANIC? I don't believe it's EVER time to panic!

Do I think we need to be stockpiling guns and ammo enough to lead a revolution, make lists of those who we would help and who would be turned away from the "compound", and take a "me and mine are fine" attitude? No. We are not facing the Apocalypse, we're facing a plague.

I think it's ALWAYS prudent to be prepared for the worst, yet hope for the best. It's when you prepare for the worst, and actually start hoping for it to happen in order to vindicate your opinions on other things that we run into trouble. There is no reason to panic, but a healthy concern is prudent, I believe.

I'm also unconvinced that there isn't a component of "let's see how prepared the masses are" in this. I think that there is a certain level of tin-foil consumption in certain levels of government, and I think that this came along, and as someone once said, "don't let a good crisis go to waste". Call it a fact-finding mission if you like, but I think there is a component of that to it. But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure that OMMV.

The headlines today are saying that the WHO is concerned about the second wave of the virus. Also, they are saying they likely will raise the pandemic level to 6 as a signal to nations to be vigilant about this. They are also saying they would rather be overprepared than not prepared.

And, in teeny tiny sub headlines buried in the news are stories about WHO's concern that this virus could combine with the AIDS virus and become more deadly.

So, all these things are telling me to stay tuned. This isn't over yet.

The headlines today are saying that the WHO is concerned about the second wave of the virus. Also, they are saying they likely will raise the pandemic level to 6 as a signal to nations to be vigilant about this. They are also saying they would rather be overprepared than not prepared.

And, in teeny tiny sub headlines buried in the news are stories about WHO's concern that this virus could combine with the AIDS virus and become more deadly.

So, all these things are telling me to stay tuned. This isn't over yet.

I'm on your page!

JCK:

Wait a minute. Here is what was said in the Reuters article I cited above. It did not say the virus combines with AIDS and then becomes an Uber Flu Virus. It says that people who already have AIDS are at increased risk. JCK, have you read something that I have not? If so, then please share. Thanks.

"Phase 6 would also trigger increased support for developing countries which lack the drugs, diagnostic tests, and medical staff to respond appropriately to the flu that the WHO has said could be especially dangerous for people with HIV/AIDS."

This flu would be something that would affect people with AIDS much more than the average person so far, because their systems are immune compromised. AIDS is spread by blood and more intimate (Sexual) contact than is Influenza.... obviously it meant that it could be worse for persons with AIDS. I do not see how, biologically how it could mix with it, however. I would say that that type of combination is impossible just within the human body, sheesh. AS to what might be created in a lab, well, thats another subject altogether, but not by being simply sneezed at.

I agree with everyone else, do not get complacent with this "mild" wave. It is the next wave we need to be concerned about.

I believe the concern with AIDS is what others have said, those with AIDS are more likely to die from the flu. I dont think this flu can combine with the AIDS virus. I could be wrong, I am no expert but this is my understanding.

The big concern of scientists, the CDC, the WHO and many others is what happens when this flu recombines with either season influenza or the H5N1 bird flu that is in Asia. Right now seasonal flu is Tamiflu resistant and if you catch it the Tamiflu will not help. If this flu recombines with seasonal flu it could possibly pick up that resistance. I feel the low death rate of this flu is a direct result of the use of Tamiflu. Right now the H5N1 bird flu that sickens and kills 60% of the infected people in Asia is not easily transmitted human to human. You need to be in contact with sick birds to catch it. If this flu recombines with that strain of bird flu it could mutate into a flu that is transmitted easily human to human (like this flu) AND have the high death rate that the H5N1 has now.

This is a very real possibility. This is why I continue to prep and consider the flu going around now a "trial run" for what could be a very bad winter.

My family has been to 3 different doctors this last week and all of them acted like the flu was no big deal. But today we had to go back in (again) and the doc was much more concerned about the flu and my family catching it. I think it wasn't a problem till it started showing up closer to home. We have 45 probable cases here in Michigan so now they are spooked. I had a lab tech today who STRONGLY advised me to keep the kids away from everyone for the near future. She said the best thing that could happen to us is if we can miss it until fall and if possible get a flu shot to lower the infection rate. I'm scared out of my mind about this flu since I now have pneumonia from a stupid little virus (not the flu) and am now on steroids. They had to do blood and x-rays on DD to figure out what's up with her. If we end up with the flu now we're in BIG trouble.

Also when I was at the pharmacy today waiting for the meds to be filled I coughed and almost cleared the room. I made sure to cough in my shirt or elbow and had purel on me but those people treated me like the plague and believe me if it had been me standing behind that cough I'd have jumped back too. I guess it depends where you are as to how spooked people are.

This is a very real possibility. This is why I continue to prep and consider the flu going around now a "trial run" for what could be a very bad winter.

Jakk, I agree.

Jingles, you and me both! I got sick a few months ago with a bronchial virus that would not let go for 6 weeks. It's the longest running thing I've ever had. And now I have another virus, so I hear you when you say you can't take another one. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

:bighug2:

Ooops! Forget the hug. :)

Archived