MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

EMP threads at Mrs Survival

I'm alive and semi-well, though more than a year ago I had emergency surgery that put my future life at 50/50.  Obviously I beat the odds and I'm celebrating(??) the 3/4 Century mark, 75 years, and using a cane more than a trowel. Unfortunately my mind still thinks its 25 or 30 which causes complications at times.  My gardening these days is limited to 5-gal buckets for veggies and Aerogarden experimentation for herbs.  In between times is ignoring the news media and doing my own research on the Internet which is much more fascinating, both the fake stuff and the real scary truth.

• Like 5

Your recent life seems familiar.  Mine has gone about the same, even the 25/30 mind set at 72 <_< .  We garden in raised beds, tubs, and bags and this winter experimented with the areogarden, hydro culture, and aquaculture on a small scale.  Part of a plan to be more prepared for our age and infirmities.  How about joining the Golden Years thread in RURR forum.  I bet you have a few things to share! 

Hugs

• Like 2

Well, you're in the right place. Most of us here are aging and finding new challenges too. Next year I think the majority of my garden will be in some sort of containers. 

As Mother said come join us in the Golden Years thread. And of course all of the other threads too. Glad you are here and hope your health is much improved. 

• Like 2

It seems this report is being taken seriously.  In March the president signed an Executive Order to have all the various task forces and offices work together to get our country protected from this looming threat.  Here is one link to the media about this.  It may not be the best link but there were many more out there at the time.  https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/436224-finally-a-presidential-emp-order-that-may-save-american-lives

This is the EO itself.  https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-coordinating-national-resilience-electromagnetic-pulses/

Wow Mother, I almost missed this with it being stuck in the middle of things.   It seems like the government is beginning to take notice....is it still or again?   I wonder if it should be posted on its own as a new thread.  There is so much old stuff written here but this is new.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I would have missed it myself if you hadn't sent me a heads up on it, Dee.  Thanks for that. If the moderators believe it needs to be more noticeable perhaps one of them will move it. If not perhaps others will find it here and comment.  I know that it's on my list of things to check my preps for.  Just to make sure I'm STILL prepared and to see if anything needs to be changed because of my age and health issues. 

:bighug2:

• Like 2

Hey Canned Nerd!!:wave:    Or are you UNcanny now?  ;)  Good to hear you're still beating the odds, tho not without some adaptions.  We're all doing what we can now.....but some events do kick up the vigilance meter within us preppers.  Then we say:  Welllll, we'd better figure out how to do a bit more with what we've got left.  Right?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

• Like 1

Yeppers...we're all very aware of this "aging in place" thing.  Mrs. here is still feeling pretty good at 72 and hubby is too...and he's a few years younger.  But becoming aware of ones limitations and needs is important if we're to even stand a chance should this world take a nose dive for a bit of a time.  Glad you're on your feet again Canning Nerd!  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, Canned Nerd said:

I'm alive and semi-well, though more than a year ago I had emergency surgery that put my future life at 50/50.  Obviously I beat the odds and I'm celebrating(??) the 3/4 Century mark, 75 years, and using a cane more than a trowel. Unfortunately my mind still thinks its 25 or 30 which causes complications at times.  My gardening these days is limited to 5-gal buckets for veggies and Aerogarden experimentation for herbs.  In between times is ignoring the news media and doing my own research on the Internet which is much more fascinating, both the fake stuff and the real scary truth.

So GOOOD to see you!  Thanks for checking in.

These seem to be older post, but is something more than ever now we need to stay on top of in order to be as ready as possible. I have some books on EMP.  I have one faraday cage that I made from a medal trash can. I lined the can with card board as well as the inside of the lid. I have flashlights (no batteries in flashlights), emerg. radios, some batteries unopened packs of all sizes.  and a few other things that I know we would need in an emp. Though I hope it never happens, the possibilities are there. The newest of cars will not work, and they say others if you restart them should start up. Also cars and trucks from before 1976 I think was the date. But cars with little or no electronics to run it.  Only problem with any car is you will not be able to get gas for them and would need to be able to store gas. Diseal is a better option as it stores longer than gas. One of the books that I am in pprocess of reading now is Disaster Preparedness for EMP attacks and solar storms (expanded edition) by Arthur T. Bradley, PH.D. Another one I am looking at is EMP Survival 50+ tips on how to survive the electromatic pulse and save your electronic devices by Imogen Evans. This is one of the hardest things to me to prep for as we really don't know what can happen for sure. 

The book One Second After is a great wake up call. I think everyone should read that one.

• Like 3

One Second After is a call to wake up in cold sweat. 

All those books about people with--just incidentally--perfect setups.

But we work with what we have, and learn to make the most of it, and figure out how to improve things while there's time.

Assuming there's time.  And if the insurance isn't needed, count the blessing for what it is.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

We may find that a Polarity Switch may occur before an EMP (from the Sun or by our human enemies).  Do some research on where the North Pole (magnetic) is supposed to be verses where it is right now.....and moving rather fast.  And no it is not a rare event by universe standards.

Also check out suspiciousobservers.org for daily updates on the sun and earth activities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:balloons:  Canned Nerd!!  :wave:   Always good to see you pop in.  How are you feeling these days?  CA hasn't fallen off yet.....  :unsure:  

They do have to keep adjusting for the wandering [magnetic] North Pole.  None of these things are giving us warm fuzzies to think about, that's for sure.  So many things in our modern society rely on positioning and even if there isn't a total reversal, it's already causing some tech problems. 

Seriously....would a magnetic shift cause tectonic problems?  Like San Andreas, Cascadia, etc.  Or wouldn't it affect that?  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  ....if it's not one thing, it's 3 more.  :pray: 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:balloons:  Canned Nerd!!  :wave:   Always good to see you pop in.  How are you feeling these days? 

Like everyone else.....surviving (unfortunately) ..... though the California politicians are affecting my mental stability.  Still working on my home canned foods from 2006-2009 so my empty jars are stacking up.  Amazing when you preserve stuff properly.  Some color loss on a few foods.  Don't recommend that many years for most attempting home canning.  Too much bad advice out there.

Next week I go for a VA evaluation for Post Traumatic Syndrome (PTS) for my years with the Vietnam Conflict.  Yah, 50+ years after the fact.  It will be interesting to say the least. Who knows. Maybe I will finally get answers.

In respect to the Polar Shift, try putting two bar magnets next to each other.  The reaction is immediate and quite strong, as it will be for our planet when it reaches that tipping point.  Not a good thing.  Our Sun (and our Universe in general) is the cause of our present climate changes, not mankind.  We are entering a "solar minimum" and they believe now we have 2-3 more 11-year cycles before reaching the maximum minimum before it begins the trek back in the opposite levels.  We won't live long enough for that.  Yah, our government(s) lie and hide a lot of stuff from us.

For what we do here, keep on........Live long and prosper.

image.png.151061f344d28d88ef82b3a56af7e289.png

• Like 3

I have read up a bit on the polar shift and from what they say, I don't think I will be around for it.  If water comes in from ocean 100 to 150 miles inland. No one around here will be alive. We are about 35 miles inland. So the best bet would be to move to midwest. They say that will be the best place and only place safe enough for the United States. There will be other countries that will be effected but there will be places in those countries that also would be safe haven. 

Does anyone remember when the Mississippi River ran backward from an earthquake on Feb. 12, 1812.  They say it has done this a few times.  The main section was from island 10 Northward about 10 miles to island 8. Would not surprise me if this even happens again. 

I know things are lining up just as the Bible predicts. So These things must happen and I am not going to worry about it. I just prep to keep above inflation and hurricanes.   Although reading some news articles, I do believe we will have to start worrying about our health insurances, medications and a possible financal collaspe of this country. Not to mention a civil war. A lot to think about, but not going to worry about the what if's. Things are happening to fast for this old lady to keep up with.

• Like 3

Canned Nerd, I hope you get the answers you are looking for. That was a such a difficult time with many scars left behind. I know you will find that you are not alone. Peace Brother. 

Canned Nerd, will be keeping you in prayer that they will find the problem and be able to take care of it.  And thank you for your service. We have a grandson in Army and my granddaughter's husband is in navy. He is naval hospital and works neuclear stuff. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.