MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

EPA's list of approved disinfectants for the flu

JCK88

http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/influenza-disinfectants.html

<<Currently, over 500 disinfectant products are registered for use on hard, non-porous surfaces against influenza A viruses. EPA believes, based on available scientific information, that the currently registered influenza A virus products will be effective against the 2009-H1N1 flu strain and other influenza A virus strains on hard, non-porous surfaces>>

That link will take you to the list of the products AND a list of the ingredients in the products that do the trick. So, if you've ever wondered if Lysol was better than Pine Sol, you can check the chart:)

I was interested to note that some of the "active" ingredients were natural. Most notably was Citric acid, silver, pine oil, and thymol (oil of the herb Thyme which was used in surgeries during the first world war very effectively)

I was also dismayed to find that a large majority of the active ingredients were poisons.

Thanks for finding this.

:bighug2:

• 3 weeks later...

My husband covers the military and for a story visited one of the Army's biolabs where they test bioweapons and have all sorts of viruses and bugs growing for tests and experiments. It was the sort of place where they made him wear a cleanrooms bunny suit and gave him a loaded syringe and said "If an alarm goes off, inject yourself within 30 seconds or you'll be dead."

He asked them what they use to clean up after they work with the stuff. They told him hydogren peroxide.

Archived