MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wave 2

TurtleMama

I am thanking the Lord that this initial wave of the swine flu has been mild, and that so few have died in addition to those who died in Mexico (although each and every one of those deaths was tragic and my heart hurts for those who have lost their loved ones).

However, the consistencies between this wave of the H1N1 virus and the "Spanish" Influenza have prompted me to prep like never before...not because I think my family is in trouble from this wave, but because I am worried about the fall.

If there is a second wave and it's a lot worse, or (Heaven forbid) even has mixed with Avian flu...I want to be ready to self-quarantine. I just have a bad feeling about it. In a way, I'm grateful we've been given a "warning" like this -- and even if we don't have a bad second wave, at least we'll have been encouraged to fill up our holes.

now that the panic is over... start stocking up!

heard today 2500 confirmed cases and 3 dead from this flu in America!

now that the panic is over... start stocking up!

heard today 2500 confirmed cases and 3 dead from this flu in America!

Yup. Funny how that works, the numbers keep rising but the sheeple have already moved on.

DH had to have another surgery, but wanted to put it off so as not to lose another whole summer. I suggested it might be best for us if he gets it over with and is back home well before the fall flu season. So now we are looking to get him in towards the end of August.

I heard one dead here in US, and he was the Mexican boy here in America with underlying issues. There was one pregnant woman (or recently gave birth) who died of flu, but they reported it as swine flu, despite the hospital saying it wasn't the same flu. In fact, the news report contradicted itself entirely.

I also heard that the doctors in the ER in Mexico City were saying it was way overblown and most of those people were dying of pneumonia.

Where did you hear three dead ?

Cricket, this flu was already combined with avian flu. It had two types of human flu, European and Asian, plus avian plus swine. Two continents, four types of flu, plus some insect RNA - figure that out.

I have to say that as a sub teacher I've been extra-paranoid about teaching these days. As much as I'd like the extra money, if a teacher sounds at ALL stuffy or sick, I don't go. If I get a group of calls of the same grade & different schools, it's a training and I feel better about working.

I know I'd feel better if this flu thing were GONE.

The third death is in my county in Washington state. Yipee for me. :(. Here is a link to the article if you would like to read it. http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090510/NEWS01/705109883 He also had underlying health conditions.

Just an aside as I understand it. The "Flu" Swine or otherwise never really kills anyone it is the complications i.e. pneumonia, respiratory distress etc that kill people. They would never had the pneumonia if they had never gotten the flu. At least this is how I understand it works.

Tracy in WA

It was announced on the news tonight that Texas has over 6,000 swabs to be tested and only 2,000 have been tested so far. They are saying that there are many more cases than we have any idea. They have just added a 3rd shift to continue testing.

There have been 65 cases and 336 still being investigated in the UK. Most are school children and scattered all over the country.

I heard one dead here in US, and he was the Mexican boy here in America with underlying issues. There was one pregnant woman (or recently gave birth) who died of flu, but they reported it as swine flu, despite the hospital saying it wasn't the same flu. In fact, the news report contradicted itself entirely.

I also heard that the doctors in the ER in Mexico City were saying it was way overblown and most of those people were dying of pneumonia.

Where did you hear three dead ?

Cricket, this flu was already combined with avian flu. It had two types of human flu, European and Asian, plus avian plus swine. Two continents, four types of flu, plus some insect RNA - figure that out.

Number two was the pregnant woman. Apparently she had some other health issues. She and her child died but they only counted it as one since she hadn't delivered. She was in Weslaco, Texas.

Tracy,

You are correct. Just as it is not HIV that kills its victims, but the resulting syndrome of immunodeficiency that bring on a host of opportunistic infections, from what I understand the influenza virus itself does not kill its victims. It allows other infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia to come in and grab hold of the patient, and knocks their immune systems back enough that their bodies can't really fight it (especiall if there is limited availability of medical intervention -- like in many places in Mexico). The people who the Mexican doctors said "didn't die of the flu" would never have acquired fatal cases of pneumonia if they had not contracted the H1N1 virus.

They're trying to spin it for damage control. The sad thing is that the sheeple of the world are buying it. :(

It was announced on the news tonight that Texas has over 6,000 swabs to be tested and only 2,000 have been tested so far. They are saying that there are many more cases than we have any idea. They have just added a 3rd shift to continue testing.

We had 17 cases that were tested in the county health department that they then sent off to DCD. Then it turned out that only 10 of the samples were uncontaminated, and none of the 10 were H1N1, although they were Type A flu. Makes me wonder how many more instances of comtaminated samples that could not be determined to actually be H1N1? Has to be rather common. I understand it doesn't take much to miss the requirements for testing.

Dora

The children I tutor twice a week come home yesterday full of talk about a girl in their school who had swine flu. They have many bi-lingual classes, so no word of the child's heritage. My friend who is a pharmacist is poopooing this calling it 'just another flu'.

:blink:

Well. Forgive me while I still find stuff to add to my stash. Oops. I mean, I've got nothing...maybe a mercury thermometer.

Oh cough syrup.

A :soapbox: of mine.

Here in WA & OR, we have a limit on what types of cough syrup you can buy OTC without giving license info. Some stuff is available in WA but not in OR. The meth heads would distill it for ephedrine. So, the cough syrup/ OTC meds that REALLY work for us is by ID only. I am literally limited to what I can buy. No more than so many grams in so many days. So, it forces me to keep a good stock.

In OR, my dad can't even buy the type of decongestant that works for him. I have to get it FOR him, or he can buy it for himself up here. It's not like the people who really need to use it for a short time abuse it...

:beat_deadhorse:

Ok. Done now. :)

Number two was the pregnant woman. Apparently she had some other health issues. She and her child died but they only counted it as one since she hadn't delivered. She was in Weslaco, Texas.

If this is the same case reported by CDC the baby was delivered by emergency C section and sent home as healthy female infant. One thing to note is rapid influenza diagnostic testing performed on the mother in the physician's office was positive. She was not given anti-viral until 13 days after onset of symptoms and 7 days after onset of acute respiratory distress syndrome.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5818a3.htm

Mommadogs, this flu does have a strain of avian flu along with two swine and one human strain. BUT, it is not the H5N1 strain that she is talking about. The H5N1 strain of bird flu that is killing birds and humans on the Asian continent has about a 60% fatality rate. If this flu that is currently circulating (2 swine/1 human/1 avian) infects someone that is already infected with the H5N1 avian strain it could mutate and possilby pick up that fatality rate. That is what scares a lot of people, including me. That would make this flu that is already very easily spread human-to-human very deadly.

I just have a bad feeling about it. In a way, I'm grateful we've been given a "warning" like this -- and even if we don't have a bad second wave, at least we'll have been encouraged to fill up our holes.

I'm so glad to see that someone else feels the same as I do.

I realized when all of this began how low I was in my stocks when it came to cold/flu food storage.

So I have been slowly adding more & more soups & gatorades and the like to my food storage, I figure if I continue throughout the summer when alot of these items seem to go on sale, I should be pretty stocked for the Fall season.

I'm also adding in some extra cough drops (Fruit Breezers are a favorite around here) & bags of peppermint candy. These also seem to be good for sore throats.

Of course, Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, and believe it or not~bubble bath is another one that I like to keep on hand.

Nothing feels better than a nice, hot bubble bath when you are feeling under the weather.

I'm also continuing to add more & more to my stockpile as far as our 'normal' stocks go as well, because, as you already mentioned, if for some reason we have to go into a home 'lockdown' of sorts we'll be prepared.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived