MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coffee and Sugar on the Rise

The cost of coffee and sugar are increasing. The for reason for this increase in price is weather.

If you don't have what you need.. best get it before the prices go up in the store.

Coffee, there is no substitute for coffee! there is however, substitutes for caffeine.

Sugar over Honey...

Honey is bee sugar! I just want to make sure you are not fooled that honey isn't sugar.. it is. Honey is just a different form of sugar. Honey is way more expensive then sugar.

Honey can be stored forever but it does crystalize. It requires putting a jar in hot water to remelt it or in the microwave.. try putting a 5 gallon bucket in a microwave! ROFL! so it is better to store it in wide mouth canning jars or equalivent.

I am not thrilled with honey. I prefer sugar.

You need to modify recipes if using honey (see more below).

"When baking with honey, remember the following: Reduce any liquid called for by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used. Add l/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used. Reduce oven temperature by 25 F to prevent over-browning."

"21 calories in a teaspoon of honey versus 15 in a teaspoon of sugar, but three times the amount of sugar is needed to achieve the same sweetness as one-part honey."

" honey contains trace amounts of several vitamins and minerals, including niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, and zinc."

If sugar gets moisture in it, it turns as hard as a rock. Store in airtight containers... got a vacuum sealer? but should it get moisture in and it gets lumpy, just throw it in a blender or grain grinder. One can always pulverize it!

for me, Honey does NOT taste good in most drinks.. while ok in hot tea not good in iced tea or coffee "spit, spit".. but then I drink my coffee black and my tea with splenda.

"these emergency substitutions, not daily rules to live by:

In spite of their difference in weight, you can substitute brown sugar for granulated white on a 1 to 1 basis, and the most significant difference will be taste.

Substitute white sugar for brown sugar on a 1 to 1 basis, but add 4 tablespoons of molasses per cup, and decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.

To use honey in place of sugar, use 7/8 cup for every cup of sugar, and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.

To use sugar in place of honey, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid.

To use maple syrup in place of sugar in cooking, use 3/4 cup for every 1 cup of sugar.

To use maple syrup in place of a cup of sugar in baking, use 3/4 cup, but decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by about 3 tablespoons for each cup of syrup you use.

To use sugar in place of a cup of maple syrup, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid."

Pepsi also has their "new" Pepsi Throwback...now made with REAL SUGAR!!!

Tasted it and it reminds me of how Pepsi tasted when I was a kid! Mmm....

As for our house, we've been using Sucanat, instead of sugar. Although I haven't baked with it, we prefer it in our coffee and once in a while, in oatmeal if we're out of honey. We've been baking more with honey.

i heard the report on the radio this morning on my way to work. columbian coffee is going up in price due to weather conditions. if you haven't noticed, gas has gone up again, as well.

btw food manufacturers are going back to real sugar because corn syrup costs too much. it's much more profitable to sell as gas. we really need to change over to electric cars. i for one am happy to see that real sugar is back in various foods now. corn syrup is not like sugar.

Edited by ROSARYCHAPLET

One of the reasons to switch to sugar is that the processing of corn syrup added mercury(?) to it and it was recently discovered, so people are not wanting corn syrup to be used! Sugar prices will therefore go up because of demand for it on the commercial front. Leaving less to sell to the individual consumer.... and anyway they can make money, they will justify it!

electric cars? NO WAY! costs more in oil to run the turbines to create electricity to charge electric cars then it takes to just make gas for gasoline cars.

this electric car thing is a huge sham!

The cost of coffee and sugar are increasing. The for reason for this increase in price is weather.

If you don't have what you need.. best get it before the prices go up in the store.

Coffee, there is no substitute for coffee! there is however, substitutes for caffeine.

Sugar over Honey...

Honey is bee sugar! I just want to make sure you are not fooled that honey isn't sugar.. it is. Honey is just a different form of sugar. Honey is way more expensive then sugar.

Honey can be stored forever but it does crystalize. It requires putting a jar in hot water to remelt it or in the microwave.. try putting a 5 gallon bucket in a microwave! ROFL! so it is better to store it in wide mouth canning jars or equalivent.

I am not thrilled with honey. I prefer sugar.

You need to modify recipes if using honey (see more below).

"When baking with honey, remember the following: Reduce any liquid called for by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used. Add l/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used. Reduce oven temperature by 25 F to prevent over-browning."

"21 calories in a teaspoon of honey versus 15 in a teaspoon of sugar, but three times the amount of sugar is needed to achieve the same sweetness as one-part honey."

" honey contains trace amounts of several vitamins and minerals, including niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, and zinc."

If sugar gets moisture in it, it turns as hard as a rock. Store in airtight containers... got a vacuum sealer? but should it get moisture in and it gets lumpy, just throw it in a blender or grain grinder. One can always pulverize it!

for me, Honey does NOT taste good in most drinks.. while ok in hot tea not good in iced tea or coffee "spit, spit".. but then I drink my coffee black and my tea with splenda.

"these emergency substitutions, not daily rules to live by:

In spite of their difference in weight, you can substitute brown sugar for granulated white on a 1 to 1 basis, and the most significant difference will be taste.

Substitute white sugar for brown sugar on a 1 to 1 basis, but add 4 tablespoons of molasses per cup, and decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.

To use honey in place of sugar, use 7/8 cup for every cup of sugar, and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.

To use sugar in place of honey, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid.

To use maple syrup in place of sugar in cooking, use 3/4 cup for every 1 cup of sugar.

To use maple syrup in place of a cup of sugar in baking, use 3/4 cup, but decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by about 3 tablespoons for each cup of syrup you use.

To use sugar in place of a cup of maple syrup, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid."

me, too! BLACK coffee, but unsweetened tea :>)

Do you think it is a good idea to vacuum seal sugar?? as in seal a meal? and then put it in another storage container? ( I added tortilla chips to my list of what NOT to seal a meal!! :> :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for letting us know about this. I went shopping yesterday and coffee was still cheep so I bought a BIG container for hubby and I grabbed an extra 10 lbs of sugar to have on hand. (we don't use much sugar here so that's a lot for us.)

It's so nice to have someone keeping an eye on things like this so we can get alittle heads up if we can.

Thanks much!

We will have a small regular grocery shop this week, so I'm going over to Costco for some preps, and will be sure to get more of each.

Thanks Westie for the up date on prices. I need to order my husband some coffee.

Ladies if you are new to the board surgar will keep forever no problem, you do need to put it is a container, I have mine in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma seal on it and then another one with the lid that came with it.

We do need a lot of sugar, baking and such.

But also to make dehydration formulas.

I was looking at a bag of surgar one day it started me thinking how much I use just baking once a week. I can imagine that a large family could use 5 #'s in a week,that is a lot of surgar. That could add up to 20 #'s in a month!

I also think that is an item that people will ask for when they are out. Mybe a good barter item along with salt.

When predicting how much sugar you might need if an extended hooey ever hit the fan, you have to remember that you might be making things from scratch that you wouldn't normally. Even those of us who DO homemade a lot will find some things. If there would be a huge change in what you eat if the stores closed.....calculate carefully how much sugar you would need under THOSE conditions. Some folks truly do not use much sweetener and get by with very little. This is a caution to new folks who might not have thought of HOW much is brought into their homes currently but in the form of something processed.

Another thought about sugar vs honey. There are some medicinal uses for both of them, tho I've seen more honey used in burns, cuts etc. But I have seen sugar used too.

MtRider [...5 gallons of crystalized honey...... *dang!* ...gonna need some powerful sunshine..... and keep those buckets of sugar dry or make hammer&chisel a part of your kit!]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Hmm, guess I'll buy more sugar this weekend.

Plain corn syrup is not so bad, it's that high fructose corn syrup that I'm convinced is so dangerous. Not to gross anyone out but for years I took medicine 4 times a day for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I was a huge soda drinker and when I made the switch to diet 99% of my problem STOPPED. They put that crap in all kinds of stuff and now I avoid it like the plague. It's in frozen meals, bread, cookies, cereal, fruit snacks for kids and the list goes on....

I read an interesting study once about the food industry. When manufacturers started making the switch from plain sugar to high fructose corn syrup in the 1970's due to the long storage life of the latter, rates of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity immediately started to rise and especially in CHILDREN since many of the foods they eat are loaded with the stuff.

HippyChick, check out what the excitotoxins can do to you in the diet soda. They literally excite your brain to death, resulting in cell death... among other things (mimics MS symptoms, arthritis, etc.)

Please watch Sweet Misery, you can see it on youtube. Or read on Dr. Mercola's site about it, he has a book out called Sweet Deception about how the "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar" is actually a component more akin to chlorine.

Thanks for the update about this. I'm low on both sugar and coffee so I'll be sure to stock up this week.

Yeah, soda did some funky stuff to me too when I used to drink it. I actually used to get dizzy spells and finally pinpointed the cause to be soda consumption. I stopped drinking soda years ago and never had a dizzy spell since (although my husband would swear that I'm still "dizzy" sometimes) :cheeky-smiley-067: . They stopped instantly after I gave up soda. They put all sorts of junk in there.

HippyChick, check out what the excitotoxins can do to you in the diet soda. They literally excite your brain to death, resulting in cell death... among other things (mimics MS symptoms, arthritis, etc.)

Please watch Sweet Misery, you can see it on youtube. Or read on Dr. Mercola's site about it, he has a book out called Sweet Deception about how the "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar" is actually a component more akin to chlorine.

I'm off diet and should have mentioned that. I temporarily switched one poison for another.

I have several hundred pounds of sugar.. I feel like i need more. Canning fruit takes a lot of sugar.

"[...5 gallons of crystalized honey...... *dang!* ...gonna need some powerful sunshine..... "'

I am originally from South Texas. No shortage of sunshine there. Now, I am further north but still got plenty of sunshine, in the summer that is. Do it like drying outside, cover it at night.

Do you think it is a good idea to vacuum seal sugar?? as in seal a meal? and then put it in another storage container? ( I added tortilla chips to my list of what NOT to seal a meal!! :> :rolleyes:

I use a Foodsaver to seal my sugar & I've never had any problems.

Another way to do it is to vacuum seal it into 1/2 gallon size mason/canning jars with your Foodsaver and the jar attachment. ;)

Michelle in middle TN.

LOL at PureCajunSunshine and CanningNerd......that's a lotta sunshine!

MtRider [ lesseeee, we have winter about 9 months outta the year...strong sunshine but need a solar oven to retain the heat on the bucket.... :D ]