MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coconut Oil and the bad rap of saturated fat

I've heard of The Cholesterol Myth, but haven't read it. Maybe the library carries it.

Two other books I've heard that are supposed to be good are "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver and The Omnivore's Dilemma (not sure of the author).

I need to figure out where I can get the 5 gallon buckets of CO (coconut oil). I have a jar in my bathroom that I use for OCM (oil cleaning method) for my face, in my hair, as moisturizer, on my lips, etc. And I have a jar in my kitchen that I use for popcorn, to spread on toast, eat spoonfuls, in oatmeal, in cooking and baking, etc.

Do you know how long coconut oil stays good? I would hate to buy more than I would use before it went bad.

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking....I have heard people who use the OCM, with varying results. Have you been doing this long, and is it hard to get used to? I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

I've been using it for five years.

I stopped using all vegetable oils and shortenings for cooking and used coconut, red palm, butter or olive oil instead. It wasn't a difficult switch at all.

It takes alittle time and determination to eat it from the spoon. The red palm oil is worse, but so worth it!

I have made so many changes in my diet that I can't tell you specifically which health improvements are because of the oil. I know my skin is softer and smoother because of it.

Please don't mistake this for bragging, but, since I transformed my health five years ago, people think I'm my kids sister instead of their mother. When I'm with my daughter and her baby, people assume I'm the mother and are shocked when I tell them I'm the proud grandma. Because of this, my daughters use the oil as well. They want to keep their skin and hair looking young.

I have a friend who eats the way I do and she is about 50 years old. I think she looks around 40. Her skin is still soft and smooth and glowing.

It's not just the coconut oil. There's no quick fix.

sjllm, your story is very similar to some women on another site. Congratulations! If you did it once, you can do it again, right?

PatriotsFan - I've used CO for oil cleansing method (OCM) for a few months and I really like it. It took a little while for my skin to get used to it, but I also had to experimen a little to make it work for my skin. At first, the CO actually dried out my skin really bad. But now, I just add back a little onto my face really lightly. Sometimes I will use a combo of CO and EVOO. I use at least 1 tbsp and warm it up in between my hands until it's liquidy. Then I spread it on my face and massage all over my face for at least 5 minutes. No less. That's important. To get it off, I get a wash cloth as hot as I can stand it with tap water. I lay the wash cloth on my face until it starts to get a little cool, then wipe off the oil. I keep doing this until the oil is completely off my face (the hot washcloth, letting it cool and wiping it off). It takes at least 5 times or more. Since like dissolves like, the oil does a great job of getting rid of the excess oil on your face, which is also why I put a little back on my face. Another important thing is to make sure there is none of the dirty oil left on your face, because it has nasty toxins and dirt in it and will soak back into your skin if it's not all taken off. Check out www.theoilcleansingmethod.com to learn more and to hear from people with more experience. It makes my face glow and even my DH notices the difference. The only times that I've gotten blemishes since starting, is when I don't do it for a while, but then I go back. :)

I've been using it for five years.

I stopped using all vegetable oils and shortenings for cooking and used coconut, red palm, butter or olive oil instead. It wasn't a difficult switch at all.

It takes alittle time and determination to eat it from the spoon. The red palm oil is worse, but so worth it!

I have made so many changes in my diet that I can't tell you specifically which health improvements are because of the oil. I know my skin is softer and smoother because of it.

Please don't mistake this for bragging, but, since I transformed my health five years ago, people think I'm my kids sister instead of their mother. When I'm with my daughter and her baby, people assume I'm the mother and are shocked when I tell them I'm the proud grandma. Because of this, my daughters use the oil as well. They want to keep their skin and hair looking young.

I have a friend who eats the way I do and she is about 50 years old. I think she looks around 40. Her skin is still soft and smooth and glowing.

It's not just the coconut oil. There's no quick fix.

Good point. Vegetable oils oxidize easily and cause oxidation in your body, which can make you look older. Good saturated oils don't do this. I certainly have problems eating off the spoon, but it's so good on toast made with sprouted grains! Someone else had mentioned that they spread it on each bite of a banana as they eat it. Haven't tried it, but sounds interesting.

thank you both for the great info. I had found some videos on you tube (I think).....it showed a woman who did a really quick rub down, rub off... but with no real explanation. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out why this would work . thanks for breaking it down for me! :D

I'm always looking for healthier regimens for my body;I tend to have allergies to any perfumes so a lot of "regular" cleansers just make me get a rash.

Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value.

I didn't know that. :ashamed0002: Might be why my DH had his heart problem.. time to change our water again.

I'm going to check into the pure CO to see if I can use it. I have avoided it due to allergies.

I'm going to check into the pure CO to see if I can use it. I have avoided it due to allergies.

If by "CO" you mean coconut oil, Tropical Traditions says that properly processed (their gold label) coconut oil shouldn't produce allergies as it doesn't have impurities. Give them a call, they're really nice and helpful. I'm sure they'll be able to fill you in more.

If by "CO" you mean coconut oil, Tropical Traditions says that properly processed (their gold label) coconut oil shouldn't produce allergies as it doesn't have impurities. Give them a call, they're really nice and helpful. I'm sure they'll be able to fill you in more.

Thank you, I will.

Hey, all, I decided after sjllm's post, to give the CO a try before meals to lose a few pounds. I'll let you all know how I progress in case anyone else is thinking of it. Starting right now with a tablespoon in my tea. It's not all that bad, actually. I kind of like it. I'm having it in my jasmine green tea, and I barely notice a bit of a flavor there, but not really.

I'm finishing up a 10 day antibiotic today and I bought a quart of Kefir in the organic section of my grocery store. I got the plain but I'll be adding strawberries to it. Doesn't Kefir have more probiotics and active cultures for your digestive track? More than regular yogurt?

I make Kefir :)

It has different beasties than yogurt. Kefir is actually a bacteria/yeast symbiosis. It is supposed to colonize the digestive tract rather than just pass through like yogurt.

eta: oops. I shoulda read further down, lol

Edited by Prickle
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey, all, I decided after sjllm's post, to give the CO a try before meals to lose a few pounds. I'll let you all know how I progress in case anyone else is thinking of it. Starting right now with a tablespoon in my tea. It's not all that bad, actually. I kind of like it. I'm having it in my jasmine green tea, and I barely notice a bit of a flavor there, but not really.

MommaDogs, are you still doing this? Let us know how it's going!!

Thanks!

• 10 years later...

Another good one.  This is a lot of good info on coconut oil.  I saw the one about it being good fo thyroid and more energy. But this really has great info. So I am going to incorparate this into my food storage and start using it.  I do use Ghee for cooking and like it. It has a very long shelf life. So I am hoping the coconut oil has a good shelf life as well.  Will be checking into it for storage purposes as well as for using now. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Littlesister said:

So I am hoping the coconut oil has a good shelf life as well.  Will be checking into it for storage purposes as well as for using now. 

Because it is NOT hydrogenated, it will be liquid above "room temp" (as Miki said) so the best approach is to make sure you store it in a cool dark spot in your pantry or root cellar. I like to buy the "refined" version because I really don't want my recipes taking on a coconut flavor. It is a good item to have in your stores because it is useful for high heat cooking/frying, whereas ghee and olive oil will burn or scorch if the pan gets too hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Going to Harris Teeter tomorrow, so will be picking up some coconut oil to try.. Would like to keep this in my pantry. They have canned veggies on sale for .27 a can,  I want to get some for our food ministery. They will only allow you to get 15 so will have to take DH with me to also get 15 with our vic cards. 

• Like 2

Finally made it to Harris Teeter but not the day I wanted to go. DH was not feeling well when he got back from cooking collards and I won't leave him by hisself when he feels bad. So went today.. Got the coconut oil to try. The one on sale was organic coconut oil in the glass jars. So got one to try out.

I have a great deal of olive oil that went out of date that I got super cheap when Farm Fresh went out of business.  So moved it all to shed to make olive oil lamps.  You can burn olive oil in oil lamps and I think I have directions saved on pinterest on how to make your own in my DIY section. Will have to check to make sure and get it printed out. 

• Like 2