MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vinegar

• 4 weeks later...

I'd Just like to add that Vinegar is the ultimate solution to RUST!!! yes it works I use it all the time. Take a large tub pour in a couple gallons of Vinegar cheepest you can find and put your rusty tools or impliment heads in it. Let it cure for a couple days and it will pickle the rust off leaving you with a new tool where before you might have had junk!! Be sure to use dish soap to clean your newly rust free tool and then soak it in WD 40 or used Vegitable oil or it will begin to rust even worse due to the acidity of the vinegar and contact to air.

I recently found another helpful use for apple cider vinegar, truly amazing stuff! One of our kitties had ended up with an eye infection, first one eye, then both eyes....goooey, icky, closed shut. I had leftover eye meds from the vet which didn't help. This was a weekend so I looked online to see about a home remedy to use, at least till I could get Jasmine to the vet on Monday. I ended up using 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar rubbed into the fur at the back of her neck. After one treatment there was a noticable difference, after 2 days her eyes were clear. I treated her just twice a day.

For pet's ears:

This simple homemade earwash is cleansing and is mildly antifungal and antibacterial. (Additionally, it helps treat and prevent those inevitable fungal invasions that seem to complicate severe ear mite infestations in pets.) For severe problems, I use this earwash in between conventional commercial or prescription treatments, as an adjunct.

Make a dilute solution of:

1 teaspoon vinegar

1/2 cup water

Apply a dropperfull, massage ear gently from the outside so the fluid circulates in the ear canal. Then let the pet shake it out (I drape a lightweight cloth over the head to contain the flying mess...yuk).

TIP: Use it at body-temperature, or nearly so. I put any kind of ear meds into a needle-less hypo syringe and warm it gently before using (as in holding it in my hands for a few minutes until it reaches my own body temperature). That way, it's easy to 'sneak' a treatment on an otherwise reluctant pet. When ear washes and ointments are too cold, they are guaranteed to produce a lively reaction in most critters, four leggeds and two leggeds!

Psstt..about those ear mites?

My all-time favorite remedy for ear mites in animals is the Bio-Groom brand "Ear Mite Treatment" for dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, rabbits. It also aids in ear wax removal (a plus since mites are notorious for causing nasty buildups of gunk, and it seems to work well for this, too). I get mine from Jeffers.com When used as directed, it has worked as well or better than the expen$ive prescriptions.

Edited by PureCajunSunshine

Thanks Nytehunter! I recently became the proud owner of a large box full of old fashioned carpenter's hand tools. Some are so rusty that I can't even turn the handle on the handpowered drills! Also found some hideously rusted cast iron pots...will hafta try your trick!

Justathought: After soaking the items in vinegar and getting the rust off, I'll rinse and dry them well, and before treating the metal to oil, I'll put the items into the oven to drive off every last bit of moisture that's bound to be hiding in teeny tee-niney crevices and nicks. For food implements (pots, pans, knives), I like to use old fashioned lard for 'seasoning' the clean, dry and still-warm metals. Lard-on-metal seems to hold up better and longer than vegetable oils.

I'd Just like to add that Vinegar is the ultimate solution to RUST!!! yes it works I use it all the time. Take a large tub pour in a couple gallons of Vinegar cheepest you can find and put your rusty tools or impliment heads in it. Let it cure for a couple days and it will pickle the rust off leaving you with a new tool where before you might have had junk!! Be sure to use dish soap to clean your newly rust free tool and then soak it in WD 40 or used Vegitable oil or it will begin to rust even worse due to the acidity of the vinegar and contact to air.

yup it just works great I had a rather pricey Snap on crescent wrench that I accidentally left out in the snow one winter the next spring it was a mess I dunked it in the vinegar and then couple days later (prolly 4) i pulled it out good as new I took it to work and dunked it in the rust protect tank for a day but most people dont have rust protect .. If you do oven treat them after soaking them be sure you have cleaned them very very well with a dish soap to get all the acid out or they will rust up quicker then all get out. Also I should point out that the curing process will discolor the metal a bit turning it to a dull grey which I actually prefer and often use on knives to take the shine off them.

• 4 months later...

We get terriable water spots--you know the kind that turns the faucet white

well...take a paper towel and dampen it with vinegar--wrap it around the white stain and in about 30 min--to an hour--take off the paper towel and it is as good as new!!!!

My last two bladder infections I was able to clear up by drinking diluted Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day. It didn't taste so great but within three days, both infections were cleared up.

We are stocking up on white vinegar like crazy because of all the uses for it. Just bought another couple gallons today as a matter of fact.

Two things I've tried recently was to use apple cider vinegar as a hair conditioner. Can't say as it did much to moisturize my hair but it did seem to strip off the residue from the gel and mousse I use and made my hair feel smoother. Now I plan on using it once a week as a "treatment".

Second, since I had it in the shower I have been using it as a facial astringent. My skin isn't terribly bad but I'm going through hormonal changes and my face can get whacky depending on what hormone is raging on any given day ;) . I saw a definite improvement within a few days and even more by the end of the week.