MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Where did the flu watchers go?

Jingles

I have been watching my state flu report all week to see if their are any new cases in my area which Friday there was. The site said they would post everyday at 4:30 PM. Nothing was posted on Saturday. I checked the CDC's list to see if they had added any and they didn't even have the new ones the state has.

Does anyone know if there is a site that is tracking each day? I know people need to be off on the weekends, but the flu doesn't. I really would like to know how many are adding here in my area.

There are thousands of cases in the US, but because it hasn't yet turned seriously deadly, it's become kind of a "no news" news. Even my DD noticed that the media uses both names, "Swine Flu" and "H1N1" to try and let people know that it's still "out there".

You have to really dig, or follow the places that are religiously following it, like Plan For Pandemic. http://planforpandemic.com/index.php

Adding to the confusion is the response by our CDC, which is still apparently so overwhelmed by new cases that they don't test all of them.

If this is a "trial run" for the deadly one, whatever and whenever it will come, we are

SERIOUSLY IN BIG TROUBLE .

LilDD generously brought home a nasty cold virus and shared it with us. She was home every day last week except Wednesday. I got it second, then DH, now DS. We are all going through Kleenex like crazy and sneezing occasionally.

Hubby asked me last night if I was at all concerned that we might have the Swine flu, since DD threw up yesterday. I told him, no, because she only had a very low-grade fever, and none of the rest of us were feverish.

Then I read today that the virus has mutated and now it is not always producing a *FEVER*! :0327:

:shakinghead:

I still think we have a cold...

As long as it isn't making any of you incredibly sick, you will all probably be fine, Cat. Staying home seems the best thing to do in this case, since it doesn't appear to be worse, and hopefully it cuts down on others exposure. With the weather changing the way it is, back and forth between cold and warmish to maybe hot and then back again every few days here in the north, it probably is just a cold! ( I've found sometimes too much mucus production from a cold will make me nauseated, so that might be what happened.) I know you are doing what you must to get through an icky week and just know we all hope you all feel better soon. Hoping it won't get severe in any way for you and your family members. There is also alot of allergies popping up and that can seem nasty too for some folks. I know I am taking benydryl quite abit lately!

I confess that i am not really following the epidemic, as I have enough to worry about, but I did see something in todays newspaper about the state prison being closed to visitors after one of the employees was diagnosed with the flu. The won't know if it's the swine variety for a few days. Gee Darn...guess i won't be hanging out with the cons this weekend. :(

I'm still following the H1N1 every day. One of my favorite sites is www.pfiforum.com. They have been following the "flu" for years now. I want to be very vigilent in keeping up with what is happening, since I don't think the TV news programs and newspapers always tell all the story. This forum has people nation-wide (some of them are doctors and nurses, I think) and also international following this, including foreign newspaper and magazine articles. What worries me is that it may mutate and come back to us this summer or fall and be a lot worse strain of flu. God help us all!!

I have been watching my state flu report all week to see if their are any new cases in my area which Friday there was. The site said they would post everyday at 4:30 PM. Nothing was posted on Saturday. I checked the CDC's list to see if they had added any and they didn't even have the new ones the state has.

Does anyone know if there is a site that is tracking each day? I know people need to be off on the weekends, but the flu doesn't. I really would like to know how many are adding here in my area.

I have been tracking here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread457891/pg382

that will take you directly to the thread so you won't have to weed through other junk on the board. It is an update thread and not a lot of garbage on this thread. If you go here keep an eye out for a poster with the name of "ecoparity". This person seems to have some contacts. I have been following it from day one. I did stop here and there but I just pick up with whatever day we are on and read those post. Most people are reporting what they are finding in their research and what they are seeing where they live. There are people from all over that are contributing. I was posting some of the news stories i found there on here but I had some things come up.

As far as fever...I read an article where people who have it are not showing indications of fever now. I'll see if I can find the story. We now have 3 cases in our state. We have two weeks left of school and i don't see them shutting down for anything. We are not near where the confirmed cases are but still who knows where it is. I heard a child coughing and carrying on down the hall from my office Friday and she sounded worst than a lifetime smoker with emphysema....This child was very very ill and at school.

Cat, hopefully your daughter threw up just because of the mucus drainage...I know my kids will do that every once in a while when they have heavy congestion with a bad cold.

Is she (and are the rest of you) feeling better, hon?

Will be thinking of you...

:)

I follow everything I can find. The Michigan website posts the new confirmed cases every night so I check that every night. So far there 3 confirmed cases in my county and I've been told there a lot more to come. The confirmed cases for Michigan on last Thursday was 140, on Friday 157, Yesterday it was 164. When all the suspected finally get reviewed I have a feeling it is going to make a HUGE jump.

I am SO scared for my kids now. They are so little and just went through pneumonia I just can't imagine what this is going to do to them. :huh:

Cat I really hope you and your family start to feel better as soon as possible! I know exactly what you are going through. The best thing we did was sleep. It hade us all feel better (when we could with all the coughing).

Hugs

((((Jingles))))

At least you are protecting your little ones as much as you can. I think you are making wise decisions to protect them as much as possible during this scary time -- don't think of it as a foregone conclusion that they will pick this stuff up. You're a great mommy who is doing all she can to make sure her little ones stay as healthy as they can!!! Know we're all here to talk (and vent!) to at any time!

Is flu season in the U.S. pretty much done for the summer except the swine flu or is there other stuff still going strong.

I'm asking because my teenager who never gets sick can't get out of bed and it's definite flu symptoms. He said his back was too sore to move much and he has a headache. He never gets more than a fever and cough when he does get sick. There are no reported cases in this area although I know that doesn't mean that there isn't any. The locals are staying happily ignorant that the swine flu could be a problem here so I didn't know where to ask that question. I get stared at when at the grocery store for wiping the cart handle and seat off before putting my toddler in :shakinghead:

Flu season is supposed to be done, but this year it isn't and it is not just the H1N1 flu there are several out there that are not fading. Also you might want to take your son in to a doctor in case it is something more serious. I had a friend who's son wouldn't move much and was so sore he couldn't stand up and she found out he had meningitis and he was the only one in her 8 kids who got it. They said he got it from the soil or an animal or from something he came in contact with. But they had to send him to the biggest hospital in the state and do a bunch to him to keep him alive. I will pray your little one gets better soon!

I don't want to scare you I am just sharing what happened here. :)

I monitor flu news daily but don't post about it unless there is something to report.

I think each person has a responsibility to check news and information sources themselves.

To that end, here is a source I check often for information about emerging viruses and control of infections.

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/

And a page with lots of links about emerging viruses:

http://www.virology.net/ATVemerinf.html

You will note that many sources of information listed on that page are not mainstream news. Mainstream news only covers what everyone else covers. Go to trade press and scientific pages and also search out who is researching what if you want to find out the rest of the story. And know that even then, you are still only getting part of the story.

Everyday I check our state website on how many new cases there are in our area and last night it was 233 cases in the state. Tonight it is 273. I thought they said the cases were dropping off. Hmmm not here! I'm still as worried as ever, but I am glad we had time to heal from the last bug we had before we possibly get hit by this new one. I'm hoping God protects us until a vaccine comes out. Not that I'm so happy about the vaccines either! :)

Archived