MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Over-protecting my kids?

Jingles

Am I being too paranoid? :animal0017:

I’m really frustrated about this H1N1 flu. I have been watching my state website on the confirmed cases and we went from 273 cases yesterday to 298 today. :o

The highest amounts are in Kent County, (Grand Rapids area). :angry:

Each year my home school group Moms go to a HUGE used curriculum sale in Grand Rapids and I generally get 70% of my books for school there, but with this flu out there and the heaviest of it is in Grand Rapids I have decided I shouldn’t go. I’m really bummed since this is one of the few really good resources I have AND it saves me a huge amount of money. Not to mention it is one of the 2 times in the year I am out of the house on my own. :unsure:

BUT I can’t just walk into a closed very confined building with all of us literally crawling all over each other to get through the rows with this flu floating about. My babies can NOT handle this flu. So I’m staying home and hoping I can figure out another way to get what we need. :shakinghead:

Does that make me over-protective? I did let the kids go to the zoo this weekend (not into any of the closed building though…) and we used purel all day long.

My problem is the other Mom’s in my HS group act like I’m over-protective and now they will be sure I am. They always say, “You have to do what you have to do.” (Eyes rolling as they say it. :wacko: )

Um yah, but does that make me nuts? :cheeky-smiley-067:

Jingles, perhaps if other mothers had been as concerned about it as you are there wouldn't BE as many cases out there. You do what is best for your family. No one else knows better what you and your children would have to go through if your children caught the flu.

As for what to say to them IF you even want to bother is to ask them if they would let their kids catch the flu if they knew their kids could die from it???? Parents, good parents, will do anything to protect their kids from a REAL threat. If they still think you are over reacting, tell them you would rather be THOUGHT a fool than to actually BE one.

((((Jingles)))))

:bighug2:

Well considering all the "Not" responses I guess I am nuts! Maybe I should go and hope I don't get the flu. I wonder what the other mom's would think if I wear a mask?

Thanks Army it's nice to know someone cares. I know I shouldn't care what others think, but considering this home school group is the only one that I can go to in my area that doesn't have religious restrictions or high dues (per-kid) I really would like to stay with them and not feel uncomfortable every time I go to a group event.

This is one of those times when I wish my kids were normal. <_<

You can die from the common cold.

If your kids have underlying conditions, I'd be careful.

So far the flu has been mild, yes, people have died, but people die every day of other common illnesses. I've kind of thought that getting this mild flu may protect a person later on if it mutates. Not that I'd hurry out and catch it on purpose. Its an interesting concept I think. I had a friend though who upon many suggestions(how many were told to do this) exposed her young daughter to chickenpox(before vaccinations). Her daughter died from it. So, you just never know.

Your not the only one. There are 362 cases in the UK.

We go to the polls tomorrow to vote in a new lot of European Parlimentary Members, now Im wondering wether to go or not. Iv voted for years, because women died to get us the vote. Im not even sure who to vote for with all this in our Parliament going on.

Jingles...No you are not overprotective, nor crazy...Trust me...I know where you are coming from and where you don't want to go to! Our children don't have what it takes, to fight any illness, nor accident, nor even deal with usual excitement. You could probably go to the HS sale, just wear a mask, and take antibacterial wipes and gel. Try not to use the restroom, even if you don't drink anything for a while. My child is our family spreader. To begin with...Lets see..., bites fingernails, picks nose, touches, anything and everything....I keep him home or have him wait in the car,with his older brother, if I have errands. We have to do, what we have to do, till this temporary germ climate changes, and the flu crawls away, till the next time.

Don't feel bad, about doing what you feel is right...Why DO we always feel bad, when we do what we feel is right, anyway??????? It feels right, to go and plant some filet beans, and I'm not gonna feel bad...Nope! (Till the laundry doesn't get done.)

Love, Catherine

Jingles, my offspring is adult now and I've put masks, gloves and overshoes in his uni-bag as well. Plus sterilising handgel and the instructions that it's better to flunk a whole semester than get ill when the H1N1 might mutate into something worse.

Don't care what people say, don't care what they think, it's me and mine and our health on the line there. You do what you think is right and peace to the rest of the world.

Your not the only one. There are 362 cases in the UK.

We go to the polls tomorrow to vote in a new lot of European Parlimentary Members, now Im wondering wether to go or not. Iv voted for years, because women died to get us the vote. Im not even sure who to vote for with all this in our Parliament going on.

Ther are 381 cases now in the UK, my family have postal votes, decided a couple of years ago it was easier to vote by post than having to walk to the poling station in the rain, so glad we have this option now, as I try too avoid crowds wherever possible.

Jingles if you dont feel comfortable about going to this book fair this year could you not ask a couple of mom's if they could pick you up some books for you, if you give them perhaps a little bit more money say too cover the books plus a coffee and a cake.

I am very cautious about infections, in my daughters early years nobody was allowed over the door step if they had the slightest sniffle or cough, [my daughter spent so much time in and out of hospital due to infections, that I was going to request a name plate on her bed].

Today a friend was rather put out as I wouldn't let her into our home as she had a cold, I'm not prepared to take risks with my familys health, my daughter had brain surgery 3 months ago, my parents are over 80 years old and we visit then at least three times a week, plus I shop for a neighbour who is also over 80. I can't afford too get sick and pass whatever viruses onto other more vunerable people.

My sister on the otherhand will go into work when sick and infects everyone in her office :o I have told her she is selfish and that she has noexcuse as she can work from home on her computer, plus she works for the police and they are quite understanding about family illness, but no she is like typhoid Mary contaminating everyone she comes across.

It seems simple to me.

The swine flu is very contagious.

It is all over the town where the home school fair is, so it's likely you would be exposed, at least.

Though the flu is mild for most, any illness can be a life threatening event for your kids.

In my opinion, you'd be wise not to go even if all you knew was that a bad cold was going around.

Jingles, because your children have the condition they have and you have been through the mill on that so many times.... with this flu affecting folks who do have underlying conditions that automatically Stress the Body, I don't feel that staying home from this event is at all something to be ashamed about. Most peer pressure is pretty stupid. You are well informed and it is up to you to protect your kids as well as you can. Not exposing them to great numbers of people now, due to this new flu, is just fine. I've been limiting my contact, but when out, I am taking extra hygiene measures for sure, because I have some other conditions that are susceptible. Its a fact, I don't want to die right now if I can help it. There is much to live for.

I would second the suggestion to ask some others in your homeschooling group to get some books for you and I hope you can find other materials and texts in other ways, such as online resources. Check www.halfbay.com because its discounted stuff. I think you can find many ways to cover yourself for next years home schooling efforts in due time.

Being the Mama Bear that we have to be sometimes, well, it just comes with the territory! And its ok! ( I would rather err on the right side of something, than the wrong side!)

You must feel so frustrated - often the vendors will offer free shipping for orders placed during the weekend of the fair - perhaps you could send your orders along with another mom and still get in on some good discounts/free shipping....it's not the same as being there, though.

Hugs :hug3:

Boo

Jingles,

In my humble opinion, no one should criticize another for their interpretation of safety issues. True, those who still open the mail with gloves and a mask *might* be a little far gone, but you're not like that.

You (unlike many) are taking ACTIVE steps to insure and ensure your family's safety. Do whatever you feel is right and true, no one else walks in your shoes or deals with what you have to on a daily basis.

I'm all for begging favors from friends. If a little kind bribery of coffee and a treat won't work, maybe offer garden truck or something of the like in trade. If you fish long enough, you'll find the thing to make them bite. :)

I hope it works out for you.

:bighug2:

Isn't it sad, that she has to "fish?" What's wrong with someone, just caring enough to help out? How hard would it be, to just pick the books up, for someone else, while you are loading your own up?! Someone could "cell" phone shop with you. I've done that far too many times. A friend will find a deal, call me, load up, I'll find a deal, call my friend, I load up......It's fun! A friend could rattle off, what is at the sale and you could even be looking it all up on-line and letting her know if it is a deal or not..Could help you both.

Jingles, did you know HSLDA has a grant for special needs children? Call them tomorrow. Maybe with the grant. you could afford, to just order the books on-line. That way, no one gets sick and no one needs to butt into your business. They also have some specials, just for recipients of their grants, that take quite a bit, off of some curriculum's. I order tons, from ChristianBooks.com and they almost always, have what I want and the order comes quickly.

Jingles, sweetie, you are your kids' moms and YOU know what is best for them...not anyone else.

If you feel convicted to NOT take them, please don't worry about it...there is a reason you feel that way, the Lord is telling you something.

Don't second-guess your Mommy Instincts! :)

Thank you all so much being so supportive. This whole seclusion thing has really gotten me down. I know I should never worry about what others think and for the most part I don't, but for some reason the home school mom's always seem to break my defenses. I think it's cause they all have 6 or more kids and I only have 2. I just feel like they are staring into my sole and finding my unworthy. Can't explain it.... Anyway I do like the idea of asking the ladies to look for certain things, but since this is a used curriculum sales it is VERY overwhelming on your own to have to shop for an other is a nightmare! I will mention to my aunt who also is in the group some of things I am looking for and see if she will shop for me. The cell phone shopping would be cool except around here most of the Mom's don't have them. Yes we are country people. I do have one, but only use it for the kids sake.

Mom11 what does HSLDA mean? I've never heard of it. Or maybe I have but don't know the abbreviation. The biggest thing I buy at the used sale are reading books. My regular curriculum I usually have to order since not many use it. We use Konos for the unit study stuff and several other things for the 3 r's. Since my DS is 5 and going through math and English so fast I had to stop buying full curriculum till I find one that can challenge the little guy. He's up to 2nd grade math and reading level. He loves the stuff. I am always looking for books to read that go with the units we are studying since our local library in not the best. Not to mention for preps for school any books I add to our library is a plus! The one really nice thing about the used curriculum sale is you find dover coloring books, great manipulative's, posters for the bill board, and sometimes even rehab items. Last year I found a balance board for my DS that has been the best teaching tool I have! BUT no one besides me would have ever spotted it or even known what to do with it! The lady who sold it to me knew I was the perfect person for it. Maybe we can qualify for that grant and can get what we need that way. OR I'll keep looking at goodwill (on low visit hours) and order as much as I can from our tax check. Too bad they didn't let us get a tax credit for homeschooling it's not like the government has to pay anything for them if they don't go to public schools!

Thank you all again. I really was worried I was just being over-protective. I don't usually keep the kids from colds and such since I know that they need to build up a stronger immune system from being exposed to stuff, but when it comes to vomit type illnesses that's a death sentence to the kids and I'm just not willing to do it. I'm just the only one in my group that seems to feel that way so it's hard. Thank you all!

Thank you all for the websites I'm researching them all. I am still a little bummed I can't go, but since I really have no choice I will find another way. I do like the sites you all gave me as options. I haven't seen several of them. :)

I did let off a bit of steam on this problem with my brother who also was not at all happy I have been avoiding the world out there. He wanted us to go to the Lansing Museum this summer and I said no. He was mad and I told him that last summer we went to a smaller museum and my DS ended up in the hospital after his visit there. They don't clean all that touch and explore stuff and kids don't wash their hands all day! He was really mad at me and I told him until he has spent a night in the ER and hospital watching your son literally withering away from you, I didn't not want to hear the attitude! He has NEVER had to be there when my DS or DD has gone through true horror and hell just from getting a stomach bug. When he does he will know... No one besides my DH, my Dad, my kids and I have gone through it, but you want to bet the ER doctors who have seen it first hand always will say "I don't know how you handle this! I would be much more of a wreck!" What they don't see is my DH and I crying our eyes out AFTER the kids are alright. I am usually a total disaster for a week after they get sick. Maybe I should video tape the experience and make a movie. Wonder how all those rolling eye people would feel if they could see what we do! :o

Sorry I just had to vent a little. It's hard enough when it is the home school mom's, but even harder when it is your own brother! And we are usually really close. This whole flu mess has really done a number on our relationship. :( Thanks for letting me vent.

:bighug2: I'm so sorry they don't understand! When you have children that fragile of course you should avoid crowded places. There are a lot of great online websites with activites and workbook pages too. At that age you can turn a lot of daily activities into school too :bighug2:

Archived