MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Stephanie

~~Clutter Clearing Challege~~

Well done!!!! :woohoo:

I did a small job yesterday that made a huge difference. Our towels are primarily folded by small and willing hands, put away in a haphazard manner (to the best of their ability) and it's created a big messy 3 shelves of towels, washclothes...etc... Sometimes the kids would be looking for a handcloth (for instance) and create a landslide right onto the floor and creating more laundry. More laundry is NOT needed at this house.

I took 15 minutes and refolded and organized the whole lot, found some items that didn't even belong there, stacked what did belong there neatly and WOW! it made a huge difference, the whole bathroom area looked better with this one change.

MtRider, when you just don't have enough room, obtaining more room is a great idea! So glad you'll have more access to the garage now, very nice!!!

Started to get my bedroom straight, on top of doing a spring clean (got relatives coming for a brief visit). Iv done two carrier bags of papers, bagged up patchwork quilts, and done about 7 boxes of stuff to go into the attic/loft or into my wall cupboard, once I can get to it.

I got some document folders today, to put in some of my prep papers.

Iv written a todo list, and Iv crossed a far bit off. Went round getting rid of the cobwebs, hopefully my house spiders will leave of weaving until relatives have gone.

I still don't have the quail out of the livingroom and I goofed and dragged in 50# of sugar instead of taking it directly to the storage trailer along with a huge pack of tp. Now it has to go back out. I DID think about it halfway thru and the other 50# went directly to the trailer. I am getting the shed cleaned out some and shoveling 3 yrs of chicken manure onto my garden. Then I can move the quail out there. I got the bag of dolomite for the garden out of the livingroom and spread it on the garden, so there's that at least. LOL

great thread! I am actively working on decluttering as we speak, so very timely!

Two main goals, which will lead into the big goals:

• get rid of stuff we don't need

- donate or sell (money will be rolled into what we DO need)

• get the house settled before we start homeschooling this Fall (usually homeschool yr round, but took this summer off 'cause things needed to get done around here. Making progress!)

A clutter-free house will make it easier to focus. Focus on homeschooling and developing more of my prep/homemaking skills. Also would love to find some type of way to generate extra income (for all sorts of preps, homeschool materials, etc, its just getting harder to afford prepping).

I generate a lot of paper homeschooling, researching so many things (problem w/ having such a great laser printer :P ), I won't embarrass myself w/ how much I've tossed. But also, some of it was things I needed for when my children were younger and they've outgrown it, I've got 2 trash bags of clothes to give away, I have another big stack (possibly 2 bags to yardsale/consign), I have 2 paper bags of puzzles, toddler/preschool toys my children have outgrown to give away, and I have started putting things in a corner in a room for the yardsale we are going to have.

Bit by bit we are making a dent.

Edited by LaBellaVita

You've all heard the phrase: It gets worse before it gets better......

My house is at the worser stage of things. But it really IS on the road to getting better. Several projects going at once for a massive DEcluttering. [Hey, summer is short here!]

--I'm cleaning up & sanitizing all seedling/gardening supplies AND all duckling-raising equipment so it can be put away. There has been continually things soaking in a big horse trough and things drying and things being put away.... it's nearly done.

--DH & SIL are cleaning the :yuk: WAY over-due carpets [a portion at a time so we don't have to put things outside...threatens to rain every day] but it means this tiny house is Out Of Order till it's done. Only the 2 bedrooms left.

--Downstairs, I'm tearing apart the stored stuff in garage/basement area and sending much to a storage unit nearby but the result right now is a head-high rat's maze! I spent an hour today just breaking down and squishing old boxes into 2 huge garbage bags. [i can't believe I stored so many boxes.... ]

--Inside, I'm doing the high dusting that's been put off for :Blushing: 3 yrs [intensely not possible during that time...oye!] and it's going slowly. I'm on a ladder with a mini ShopVac with 4 extender hoses to vacuum my log rafters, ceiling and walls. AND there is dusty things on the walls, fireplace mantle, & high shelves. Those oil lamps could not have been lit in the condition they were in. Yikes! Now they sparkle and I can't help smiling when I look at them. Pictures too. But each piece has to be brought down the ladder and scrubbed clean. I'm over at my teapot collection now [lucky it's a small shelf] and yukko! I about brained myself with the enamel dish pan that hangs from one rafter. I store my antiques [usable and at the ready] by hanging from rafters or on walls. Cleared an assortment of collected 'stuff' from off the mantle. Now only pictures, candles, oil lamps, and....my Galileo thermometer. [bubble kind so I know if I'm getting dangerously hot]

Wow! I actually do LOVE to clear the clutter and organize. Not so fond of the scrubbing/dust-clearing [ah..choo!] but I love the results. I'm very content to be doing all of these projects.... [MtR puttering around her place, happy as a clam putting things to right.... OK, I'm weird :curtsey: ] But I have been thanking God for the stamina that He is supplying to be ABLE to do this day after day. And during our hottest month of the year! ThankYOU, ThankYOU, ThankYOU!!!! :cele: I haven't had a stretch like this in energy for.....well over a decade.

But it still looks like a colossal MESS right now. LOL :shrug:

MtRider [ gettin' it done]

Edited by Mt_Rider

You know what MtRider? As I'm reading about all of the things you are accomplishing, I keep thinking that this is one 'benefit' from having another adult woman in the house.

Whenever my mom or sister are here (albeit just visiting), I find myself very industrious and happy being so! I think when it comes to cleaning projects it's a lot more fun to have a partner in the chaos! ;)

Good for you!! You have accomplished so much! :hug3:

Ya know I find being a machinist that there are days when I have to be particularly detail oriented at work I'm running something with say a .0005" or smaller tolerance and every shadow can be something wrong. Its these days that I get a burr up my butt and come home and clean like a maniac and every darn little thing drives me crazy so to all you wives of Machinists . . . . I appologize for them for posterity!! I can't stand clutter I used to not care but the older I'm getting the more annoying I find it and think that its likely mostly from the job any little spec of dirt or grit can throw off dimensions or your perspective of the dimensions and that can be catastrophic.

Hey Nyte, I have a solution for your tolerance of clutter.... ;)

Adopt 7 children!! :D

Suddenly!!!! and I mean very suddenly!! your standards change! :lol:

(Ask me how I know!! :rolleyes: )

I was right there with you, little Miss Perfection, a place for everything and everything in it's place was my motto! <_<

Now, I concentrate on clean underwear for everyone, sanitary bathroom and kitchen, and floors...I do like clean floors. :)

The rest....the clutter is an ongoing battle!!! :huh:

Hey Indy Gal!!! You can do it!!! and if you're not back in two days, we'll send a rescue party! B)

I hauled 12 boxes of clothes and miscellaneous stuff I had been saving for a garage sale and donated it to the new thrift store in town. I did not have it in me to have another garage sale right now even though we might could use the money, I just couldn't. And knowing someone else could use a lot of the stuff made me feel good about it.

My garage thanks me.

Started on the kitchen, and also the front room today. Iv got to get the nets down to clean, but dont have any energy left! :)

Did some more sorting in the bedroom.

Today and tomorrow I'm tackling the SCHOOLROOM!! :0327:

I'm armed with gummy lifesavers to bribe the kids (a mom has to do what a mom has to do) so that they will cooperate fully!

This is a big job!! My main challenge will be resisting the temptation to get sidetracked. DH and oldest two ds's will be at black powder classes tomorrow, so it's a perfect chance to focus on the class room, wish me luck!!

:)

Good luck to you, Stephanie. Yeah, rewards of gummy bears should keep *some* attention focus. LOL

MtRider

Today I am working on:

Ironing

Organizing School Uniforms and School Clothes to see what is needed

Making list of Back to School Needs

Shopping

I really enjoy my crafts but have never had a place to leave my stuff out when I am wanting to work on a project. I also have craft stuff throughout my house so have trouble finding what I need when I need it.

SO.......

I went yesterday and got me an insulated building just for my crafts, hobbies, and ebay stuff. We know the owner of the place that I am getting it from and he had some cabinets and counter tops (deep purple) that haven't sold so they are putting them in my building along with windows and an opening for an air unit. A friend is going to run electric to it for me in exchange for the small metal storage buiding that is out there now. There also are 2 big lofts in the new building for camping stuff, christmas decorations, and other misc. stuff.

I do feel a little guilty but the money was a gift from an uncle who told me that the only thing he asked was that I get me something that I had always wanted but would never get for myself. I have always wanted my own space so that I could work on projects and not worry about leaving things out. I was waiting on the kids to leave home but that may NEVER happen.....lol

In the house this will free up a small room upstairs that the girls are going to make into a tv/ video game/ guest room. About 1/3 of the closet space in my room and alot of clutter (ebay and craft stuff) throughout the house and garage.

Dear son will be here tomorrow to help me clean out the little shed and get ready for my new 'workshop'.

:cele::cele::cele::cele::cele:

Blest

Edited by blestmomof4

I have been de-cluttering and getting rid of things since last winter

We are getting ready to soon move into our new home we built

I am still doing it.

After being married 34 years.

and living in this old house for over 19

there is a lot to get rid of ; even if you have de-culttered alot.

So,

here I am in Va. still going at it.

Maybe ; one of these days I will be done. ha. hugs sheila

Oh!!!! Ya'all are doing SO GOOD. My cleaning the clutter marathon now has the left over chain link fence fabric rolled up and stored away, the rest will be one side of a chicken pen. WHEN it cools down. It's 90 here today. Way too hot for an old lady to be working.

Slowly, the closets in the spare bedroom are loosing their crammed to the gills problem. I am having to work around my elderly father who is visiting and using the room. Also have my brand new wonderful 3 week old grandson visiting during the day. Life is good......but really full. Boy is it full!

Our houseful of extended relatives got a house with their accumulated savings. So it worked to give them a helping hand. I thank God for the ability to co-exist with all concerned.

The deer, all 5 does with babies, circle the now fenced in garden, staring lovingly at the BEANS that are growing!!! The first time in 4 years, I have beans!!!! Cleaning will have to wait till the rainy season. I'm out in the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D .

Hey Stephanie,

Start with the gummies and end with a swim! :) It always got us going and doing more than we wanted to.

I carted 20# of sugar out to the trailer. (Should have gone there in the first place.) Ok, I worked outside mostly again today. Have to get the garden in.

Working on sorting out the things in the bedroom. It is weird that I have to wait for suggestions from that 'still, small voice' because I have not been able to think of it 'myself' when I have tried. It is like it has to be inspirational thought from the Lord on how to do this, although it amounts to such simple thinking..... but I have not been able to think in that mode very well at all for a great length of time and this has been weighing on my conscience alot lately and I have been frustrated about it! It is starting to sort itself out though today. I used to be so good at this and have been troubled very much lately, because it has seemed so utterly difficult for me!

Also still working on my kitchen too. Organizing is one of the most difficult things in my life this year! But it's starting to improve.

There are other things too that I know I must do, but working on the bedroom and kitchen today! If I get to the other stuff this weekend, I will be more than satisfied !

Well, this week has seen the almost-ending of a 5 year battle.

Many years ago, our house was a rental. The renters used the 10' area behind the garage to the fence line as a trash dump. They tossed all manner of trash back there and with the trees above, it was covered up with dirt, leaves, etc. When my husband moved into this place in 2000, the trash was up to the roof line. When we got married, 5 years ago, it was about waist deep. Here's our motivation besides danger and unsightliness: To build a fence, we MUST dig down into the soil and get rid of this remaining stuff.

Did I mention that over the past 5 years, we've gotten rid of OVER 50 CUBIC YARDS of trash? Everything from broken pipe to tires to a door, chairs, etc. The recent finds were buried....like a freaky archealogical dig....scissors, innertubes, TONS of carpet samples, children's shoes, a piece of roof flashing with wood and fabric coated wire attached...glass, tile, etc.

Over the past 2 days (in the 90 degree heat, I might add), we've gotten rid of over 1.5 tons (that's over 3,000 lbs) of trash.

Now, we did have to call it quits. Without a front loader, it's really impossible to get all that out of there. So, we hit a 'smooth' spot and smoothed it down as best we can. We will cover it with landscape fabric and rock, and build a lean-to of sorts against the back of the garage with the intention of moving out the garden tools, bicycles, etc. and letting DH re-do the inside of the garage as a workshop. He has a large DELTA tablesaw that he's not used because there's been NO ROOM.

So, this was in prep for fencing. I'm drawing the string lines and chatting with the neighbors. I've gotten to know people I haven't met before. Hopefully the property owner on either side of us will be civil.

I've been totally possessed by this fence. I want it up SO badly. I'm tired of neighbors walking through or hearing neighbors behind my garage and turning to find someone walking across my back yard. It's a security issue.

Now, we will have more trash from the construction of the fence, but the place is looking cleaner than it has in a LONG time. With the recent tree trimming and removal, it's amazing. Really.

Edited by Crazy4Canning

When I remodeled my DH's shop (the shed) everything went out on the porch in piles. One of the stacks was paper. I spent yesterday with the shredder and managed to get through 1992. Had to laugh at some of the things I found. A picture of the shed roof before it was tiled, it used to have white rocks on it that would bean you if you stood too close during wind or rain.

I must say that you all are inspiring to me. I just love reading this thread.

I am in the process of packing up years of accumulated stuff. As well as preps. (I can't believe how many preps we have.)

We are moving in two weeks! I have been focusing on getting the house packed up but today, my mom and I hit the storage shed. We went through about 8 large boxes of canning jars and washed the worst of them. We had to repack them in better boxes so that they wouldn't break during the move.

I can't believe the amount of things that I have given away or thrown away in the last four weeks or so. And thankfully DH has been on the road the whole time so I can throw his stuff away as well. :lol:

I still have a lot to go through and a lot to get packed up. I hope and pray that this is the last move I have to make.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. You are helping to keep me motivated.

You know I actually enjoy the organizing and de-cluttering of spaces like closets and under the bed stuff. I visited my parents a few weeks ago (mom fell and broke her ankle) and while I was there I went through her pantry and fridge. Organized and threw away all the expired stuff that we found (over 4 trash bags worth).

My problem is the day to day stuff. My husband and I both work 2 jobs, have 2 dogs, and a very small home. By the time I get home at night, I am tired, I have to take my dog out (she doesn't really like men), and the stuff I bring inside, just gets set down on the tiny kitchen table or the kitchen counter. I just don't know how to keep it clean!! And it really drives my husband nuts, can't get mad at him, he doesn't do it.

Oh and one of my biggest problem areas, the stairs! I set stuff on them to take upstairs and put in the office/storage room and by the time I am headed to bed, I walk right past it. I get so irritated at myself ARGHH!!!

I know I went a little beyond this thread, but got a little carried away. I am going to try really hard to at least take the junk upstairs when I go. It's so silly that I don't, I look at it each time and think "I will take it up next time."

OK, that is my goal. I will make it work.

Thanks

SIL and I cleared up enough space in the garage to put his scooter in out of the weather. Didn't get rid of anything, just stacked and sorted.

Repacking more rice from the garage into square containers to go in the wasted space under the TV in the library.