MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Stephanie

~~Clutter Clearing Challege~~

After living here for almost 6 years we (mostly oldest DD) got the stairwell, landing, and upstairs hallway all painted. We cleaned out the small shed and cleared where the new larger workshop will be delivered on friday. I am starting on the little room upstairs as most of the stuff in there will go to the new workshop/craftroom. Two of the girls exchanged bedrooms so we are getting all their drawers and closets cleaned out and moved.

Walmart had their 5 gallon ($75.00) containers of paint on sale for $20.00 so I got two of them. We used the one upstairs and will use the other downstairs.The downstairs painting will have to wait until after the workshop is done.

Found enough tile in the shed to do the bathroom but not sure if I want tile in this old house that tends to shift from time to time because of the Oklhaoma clay soil.

I know it will all get done but hope it doesn't take forever.

Blest

Emptied a 6ft tall/3ft wide storage cabinet. Taking some stuff to charity, consolidated some other things into other places so this frees up another large space for preps!

Wow, this thread IS motivational! Blestmomof4....I wanna craft shed of my own tooooooooo! :D

Welcome RTR! I had to laugh at yours cuz my mom would tell ANYone of how I *never* saw those items on the stairs to take up. :laughkick:

But I do much better now. I am ALWAYS taking stuff up and down.

Soooooo, does having the septic tank pumped [5 yrs worth] after it backed up in the garage/basement :yuk: count as Clearing Clutter? This was NOT on my Day Planner! I was PLANNING to put furniture, etc back in place after finally finishing the 3 week saga of carpet cleaning.

{sigh}

I'm definitely at that GETTING WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER stage of things. EVERYwhere I look [or try to sit...LOL ] I have worse clutter than before. But I know it's temporary. It will get done....it WILL, won't it? :0327:

MtRider [ ....grumbling about sanitizing things that were in the ...er...flood zone.... ewwwwwwww! ]

You know how cleaning out one space leads to needing to clear out another space so you have a new home for the stuff that can't stay where it was? :rolleyes:

Well that's what happened to me this weekend and there were some disastrous results.

In my cleaning out of the upstairs classroom, I came across some things that I decided to transfer downstairs to one of the closets in the basement. That led to needing to make some room there and I was feeling really good about it. I enlisted the help of my small army (says the mom of many) and even the general got involved (read dh) until we made a discovery!

Apparently there had been some kind of leak, and a couple of boxes that I had stored framed pictures in of special family photos had gotten wet!!! 75% of them were RUINED!! Stuck to the glass, discolored and unsalvagable!! :yar:

I was just sick!! I'm so upset with myself but there's just nothing to do. Some of the pictures I am going to be able to trim and put in photo albums. I thought this closet was a dry safe place, now I know better! Apparently the leak was a long time ago, because there was no moisture to be found. All I found was my ruined photos! :(

This sounds like something that I need to be part of. My house is so full of clutter that I do not even know for sure what I have. I will have to move soon. Don't know when it will be , but my house is being auctioned on Aug 11th. ( wish I could buy a place right now, but I doubt if I could get a loan. If I could I would consider this place even though it is not perfect.) Anyway, I do not want to have to move all of the junk, just the stuff that I need. I still have boxes of junk from when I moved here a little over a year ago. I am going to commit myself to going through one box of old junk a day and either find where it goes or get rid of it. I have a deadline for when the place will be sold and I will have to move shortly after. Even if they don't make me, the current owner has rented the water heater. So after that, if I stay, I will not have hot water for a while. One box a day should not be too hard, but I will qualify that to one box on a day I do not work. I am gone from the house for 15 hours or more on work days, and I will not commit to a box plus school work ( I am going to school on line) after work. So It will be only on my days off, but I might try for an extra box to make up for working days.

Thanks for the motivation.

Sorry to hear that you will have the disruption of moving again, Deb2. :(

Stephanie.....OH NO!!!!!!! :hug3: Anything but precious pics! Try storing them in plastic tote boxes for one more level of protection. And get copies of the best to relatives/friends.

In my flood and due *only* to the current rearranging of the basement, a large box of our photos was very nearly in the flood zone. I mean, c'mon! What's the chance of "flood" during the one month I'm rearranging the basement? .....don't ask silly questions like that, I guess. :busted:

MtRider

I'm back without a clean storage room-hubby wanted the garage done first so that we did but my body gave out so i've not done anything for 2 days,but boy is the garage looking nice! We can see the floor for the first time since we moved here in dec.! There are still some things to move out of there,christmas trims &such but we have to clean out the storage shed first to get them in there.Oh where are the brownies & fairy's when you need them! No work tomorrow either,have to be at the hospital for my neice's cancer surgery.

I tore my kitchen apart yesterday...stripped off all the old wallpaper. Today, I primed the walls and did a plaster type thangy on the walls which gives them some texture and I think will look very pretty once I get it painted. Tomorrow I'm going to paint the walls, then I'm going to sit down and make the curtains I've been wanting to make for 2 years. My upper cabinets are all glass fronts (ticks me off to no end), so I have matching, coordinating material that I'm going to gather and attach to the inside of the cabinet door over the glass to block the view of what I have on my kitchen shelves. I also am replacing all the handles, all the outlet sockets and bought new plates. While this is not the commercial kitchen I had in Miami, it will at least reflect a little better my personality and style. A facelift in the kitchen has also afforded me the opportunity to pitch, pitch, pitch.

Earlier this week I worked on my greatroom and am about 90% done there. We also worked in the garage that still has moving boxes from 2 years ago, and I have about 1/4 of that done.

A little at a time will hopefully, and eventually, show the hours I put in, trying to get things not only organized, but looking nice again.

I am continuing to sort through my belongs and pack up the things that I need to keep. I am giving away/donating a lot of things as well as pitching a lot of things.

We move next weekend so I am working on the kitchen the next couple of days. I have my paper plates and bowls and my plasticware set aside and everything else is getting packed up. If the food can't be microwaved this week, I won't be eating. I also have sandwich stuff. I'm trying to keep it simple.

I have a large cabinet in my kitchen that is getting moved as well. My focus is getting it completely cleaned off, dusted and ready to move. Along these same lines, I am trying to clean off all the flat surfaces, especially on the items that are getting moved next weekend.

So much to do, so little time.

I cleaned out DD's closet and drawers. Purchased some rubbermaid boxes and sorted her clothes for this Fall/Winter, and the next sizes up. I had been buying ahead on ebay, yard sales and regular sales. I found that she is in good shape for a while.

Cleaned out my middle son's closet as well, but I'm not touching the teenagers closet!!! :grinning-smiley-044:

Got all of their school clothes and supplies except for a few small things.

Got the majority of my EBAY stuff out and organized and relisted.....had tons of stuff NWT and I'm already selling alot!!! :woohoo:

Sorted through other stuff and priced for garage sale or put in the EBAY box

I cleaned my pantry today. It was so bad you couldnt even walk in it. Guess what i found. I found the canner my mother in law gave me about 25 years ago that we looked and looked for. I opened it and found a cook book, found the seal is hard as a rock. Its very heavy. When i get organized, i'll take it out and inspect it further. But, its smaller than the one i bought even though its huge so i'm glad i have a new lighter one.

Today was another marathon in the mass re-org of my entire house/garage/storage unit. :0327:

It's coming along. Today I reached the once-deeply-buried shelves in the NW corner. This is the corner that the storage buckets, etc will go in....eventually.

I began the day at the storage unit.....by clearing/sorting whatever boxes that I've been sending over with DH by truck load. He sort of just set it wherever. Knows I'm going to have the final say in re-org anyway. lol It's looking just fine. We can access most anything we'd need to get to. [Many MANY books! ] Still have room for more but..... :cheer: I'm getting to the end of what I'm going to send over.

The animal feed section of garage/basement got reordered earlier this week. I moved many 50# feed sacks [off the pallet/clean under pallet and move it/back onto pallet.....changed mind and move sacks back off the pallet/move pallet 8 Whole inches/ put sacks back on the pallet]. Fortunately, we were a bit low on grain and it was finished before DH got more grain the next morning. I took a couple days off of basement clearing to let the old body recover from that feed sack day. :faint3:

I can see more garage floor than I have in over a decade. I've found some things that I haven't seen in more than a decade. LOL I've gone nearly thru the large box of industrial-size garbage bags & DH is on a first-name-basis with the guy manning the station at the dump. LOL

MtRider [tired...very tired...but .... :cele: ]

Well, be still my heart, something happened that hasn't happened for 5 years. A section of the garage floor saw daylight. I knew it, you felt the earth move all the way where you live! :rolleyes:

DH bought a heavy duty storage rack, de-cluttered the pathway across the door and pitched our old freezer (yes, it died a year ago and we haven't gotten rid of it) and reorganized some stuff there. It was amazing. He came up with a great HUGE garbage bag of stuff. He looks at me and says, "Hey, hon, can we get another shelf unit next payday?" I smiled and nodded. ANYTHING, I prayed, ANYTHING to get this space organized and usable.

He found garden stuff, tools, paint stuff, amazing things. While the totes that have been annoying the life out of me didn't get taken out of the living room, he did create a corner of space in an area that has been bugging the life out of him. It is my fervent hope that by the time the winter rains come in late October we will have this space re-organized to the point he can actually get some use out of the garage, de-clutter the living room for the holidays and have family over for supper. I have nothing in there now, not ONE thing. It's all him and up to him to keep clean.

Poor guy, we were supposed to meet friends for dinner tonight, but he's in bed already. Ah, the sleep of a laborer is indeed sweet. :happy0203:

Yep. I felt those clutter-clearing vibes all the way here and despite 90-degree heat, decided to entirely clear out the screened-in porch and start over. I use part of this three-season-room to store craft supplies. I emptied out all of the containers and sorted everything, even down to the last seed bead. This took ALL day. BUT THEN....miracle of miracles, my husband caught the bug and cleaned out the garage.

Now the only thing left to do is declutter some in the basement--which is not all that bad because I had already done most of it some months back in organizing the storage. I just need to re-touch things down there.

:woohoo: Everyone is doing so great!! And I'm right there with you girlfriends!!

I found out on the First of August that Mom and Pop will be here Sept 1 for a week long stay and visit! Talk about incentive!!! The dust has been flying!

It's so cool because my priorities have temporarily been adjusted and my little homestead is the focus! My Pop is quite a homestead handyman himself and has told me to make a 'honey-do' list! :D DH is taking the whole week off and we'll be tackling some major projects. Such fun when you're doing it as a team! :D

Plus, my mom's main project is to help me get the Period Correct Clothing made for my dh and oldest two ds !! :cele: So, that caused me to organize a sewing area!!! I got out my sewing machine all dusted off and my materials all organized and etc... This has resulted in me sitting down to it several times because I didn't have to lug in all out!!! :cele:

Today's project is the kitchen cabinets!!! :o dh and the children have promised to help....so might as well tackle it and get it done.

...AH CHOOOO!

Whew....the dust certainly IS flying. Isn't it fun to see the garage floor or be able to DO a project without wading thru the rubble first? :P

I wanted to mention that part of my reorganization includes some Planned Chaos. What I mean is, if anyone had dared enter my garage before this transformation, they would never have seen Preps [or anything else] easily due to the massive chaos. I believe in Chaos Camo. So while this reorg will mean *I* can find everything [that's the goal] I am structuring some amount of what will look like CHAOS so certain types of items will remain far less noticeable. Don't want it to be tooooooooo neat. :curtsey:

MtRider [...would do this even if I wasn't thinking of Hard Times....theft can occur at any time so I don't intend to make things obvious... :shrug: ]

I sold off a spare vibratory tumbler last night to a friend of DH's.

Trish, how is that storage trailer working out? How hot does it get in there?

A couple weeks ago I had to get a new freezer. Today I took out the wire basket from the bottom of the old one. I put it under the kitchen cabinet area since I don't use bar stools there anyway. Stood up all my notebooks I have on food preservation, handouts, one with recipes, etc. At least they all are standing up and looking uniform. I still have a basket of things beside it I need to go through again. There is still room for improvement.

Took out some jars and rings and put away in the garage. Still have some clutter to clear away in the kitchen.

We won't even mention my sewing room. What a mess !!!

Oh, Stephanie,

I am intersted in the period clothing you are talking about. Sounds like fun. Can you send a picture or something so I can see what you are doing ?

Edited by Violet

When I was kid, my dad had a rather harsh, but effective way of having me clean the clutter from my room. He'd dump EVERYTHING from every drawer and shelf into a pile on the floor.

Then I put it away starting with the most important. Later it would be:

have you used it in the last year?

do you plan on using it in the next year?

If in doubt - throw it out!

(Nowadays its if in doubt, donate it to charity and take the tax deduction.)

I helped my ex move about 6 years ago - she still has unopened boxes from the move stacked in the corner of the kitchen.

Edited by Gunplumber

Two of the kid's bedrooms have 2 closets each. I made one in DD room into a prep pantry...but it got a little crowded. So I found a rubbermaid shelf and cleaned out DS extra closet and transferred some of my preps. I now have 3 pantries!! I just need a lock for both doors.

I purchased some rubbermaid containers to start organizing. I have bought ahead on clothing for the 2 younger kids and so their things are stored and labeled. I started making a box for cold meds, tylenol, ibuprofen, and cough meds. I have tons of tubes of ointments and prescription meds that we didn't take or finish but I saved....plan to look them up to see what they are used if I'm not sure and write it all down and store with them. The last box was for gifts that I have been picking up for Bdays and Christmas....hope to tackle the attic this weekend.

Also trying to tackle MIL's house now that she has moved.

Trish, how is that storage trailer working out? How hot does it get in there?

It is great! It doesn't get any hotter than the house. I only hav one a/c room in the house because it costs so much to cool.

I still need to buy plywood and 2x4s to make shelves but I've been putting things along one wall and saving room to put the shelves in. I got some food grade metal barrels and I'm putting some stuff like sugar and grain in those. I have stuff still in bags that I never got buckets for and the bags have been stackd in the house too long. I set a goal to make four trips a day from the house to the trailer. Basically I put 4 things next to the front door and grab one on the way to the goat pen, dropping it off at the trailer as I go past. (I split each 50# bag into two buckets for carrying to the trailer. 50# is a bit too much for me to move far.)