MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nytehunter

Cherry trees eat or no?

Ok So I have this here pair of cherry trees in my front lawn and I am wondering if they are edible non toxic cherry goodness or if they are just ornamental Here is a picture of the leaves and berries if someone can tell me if they are edible Ill hug you and maybe send you some cherries

post-6706-1244748267_thumb.jpg

We have wild cherries and I eat them. But be warned, the seeds are toxic and the leaves when stressed will kill livestock. Like after a frost or if the tree falls and the leaves wilt, if anything eats these leaves they will be dead by the time you get them to the vet. From your picture, I cant tell if its the same cherry I have here. The bark of the tree is kind of striped with white bands, the leaves have jagged edges, teeth so to say. Our cherries don't have a lot of meat on them, you have to eat a lot to get your fill.

Hard to tell from the photo. I would cut a small limb off this tree and take it to a horticulturist. They should be able to properly ID it. Hope they are edible I so love cherries but they do not grow this far south. :(

Where are you lele, you can grow them in the dallas area. Our neighbor had one in the neighborhood i grew up in. I remember picking them and eating them, i'm sure without asking...I've thought about planting one now that i'm further north, a tincy bit further north...

We eat our wild ones, or at least we did until AEP cut them down when they cleared out all of the trees under their high tention power lines that run past our yard.

I'm not sure, but do not think the trees are wild. It looks as if the previous owners of the house planted them which is really whats giving me the trepidation to eating the berries I've never heard of toxic cherries but one can't be to carefull.

Do the blossoms look more like cherry blossoms or more like dogwood blossoms?

I'm asking because they might be cornel cherries, which aren't really cherries--but are still edible.

Do they have a pit like a cherry pit inside, or a cluster of small seeds?

The berries have pits just like a cherry The blossums are pink and look just like cherry blossums and yes I think we will take a sample of the leaves and bark to the county extention office.

I'll go with you I need to get my pressure canner checked.

I also wonder about that tree since it is HUGE compared the cherry trees my BIL has and seems about the same age. Also it is shaped very different from the wild cherry we have in the yard and it's blossoms are more like a crab apple, but not... I'd like to know also.

While we are on the subject does anyone ever each crab apples and if so how do you like them. I have a tree that is always Covered with them. I usually let the bird have them since I don't know what to do with them.

Take a small branch. The relation of the leaves to each other is a significant clue sometimes.

The berries have pits just like a cherry The blossums are pink and look just like cherry blossums and yes I think we will take a sample of the leaves and bark to the county extention office.

So...what did you find out?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.